Yowies, UFOs, Strange Sightings

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 00:30
ThreadID: 53808 Views:9206 Replies:12 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I've been totally absorbed reading a book about Yowies. The hot spots seem to be SE NSW and NE Vic and the Gold Coast hinterland (why doesn't any other State have a hinterland?).

I passed through NE Vic and SE NSW bringing my caravan back back home from Melbourne. Didn't see anything but the bush certainly looked like it could have kept many secrets hidden.

I have seen UFOs (just very bright lights in the middle of the day) but nothing with any form or substance. This was in Perth too, but I've never seen anything in this category in the bush.

Would be interested to hear any accounts by Forumites on these, and other, mysterious things : yowies, UFOs, big cats, Thylacines, min min lights.

Anyone game to own up and give us a chilly account?
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 02:29

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 02:29
Hey gone bush......
I have heard strange things out there....
but most recently i took a picture that has a very perfectimage of a man just behind one of the people I was photographing. People say it is just someone walking behind the people..... trouble is directly behind the people is a 10 story drop. I will try and get it online 2moro.....
AnswerID: 283238

Reply By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 06:23

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 06:23
I post this incident from time-to-time in case anyone can relate to it. I've been back to that spot but (thankfully :) no recurrence.

---------------------------------------------------

Last Sunday (7th March 2004) my partner and I
were camping on the south bank of the Murray
River in NW Victoria a few 10s of kilometres SE
of Robinvale. We stayed in the one spot for four
days and had a great time, my elder son and his
girlfriend were with us and camping about 2k
downstream, joining us for meals and much of the
day. Our campsite was in a state forest with low
to medium density bush and about 8k away from the
nearest habitation, a farmhouse. The forest was
_very_ dry with a lot of fallen branches and
leaves on the ground. It is the second time we
have camped in this forest the first time being
about six months ago. I have spent many, many
nights in the bush/deserts all across Australia
and the world (probably 50% of those nights by
myself) and am familiar with the night noises
and animals of such places.

Sunday (by chance a very bright full moon) was
our last night camping before returning to
Melbourne on the Monday. My partner retired to
bed around 10pm in our see-through mozzie screen
tent and promptly fell asleep; I followed about
30 minutes later and was asleep within five
minutes.

I think it was about 3.30am when I awoke from a
deep sleep - I was instantly wide awake and knew
what had awakened me, I was not surprised to find
my partner was also awake, she was sitting up in
bed and looking around at the forest. We were
both listening to the loud and unmistakable sound
of a heavy biped moving through the forest
towards our camp and, at a guess, no more than
100m away. I listened and looked for a further 5
or 10 seconds using the bright moonlight to try
and see the creature walking across the forest
floor on the dry twigs and leaves. I could see
nothing but I sure as hell could hear it. Two
feet, crunching the forest underfoot as they
moved. I pulled on my shorts, left the tent and
put on my shoes, the footsteps were still loudly
approaching but nothing was to be seen. I decided
to hide in the shadow of a large tree about 10m
away, as I moved towards the tree I made quite a
lot of noise on the dry leaves and by the time I
reached the shadow of the tree the sound of the
approaching footsteps had ceased. I waited for
about 3 minutes and neither saw or heard
anything. I moved the few metres across to the
camp, placed a chair in deep shadow and waited
silently for about 45 minutes. The only sounds
were those of the normal night noises of the
forest. I returned to bed and slept lightly for
the balance of the night, my partner had fallen
asleep before my return.

During the night my partner and I had not
exchanged a single word about the incident, we
both knew we sensed danger and took appropriate
measures to protect ourselves so there was no
influence or suggestion from one to the other yet
in the morning we were in 100% agreement about
what had happened and what our perception of the
noise was.

As an electronics design engineer I've not given
to making assumptions without having creditable
evidence and I offer none here; but I can think
of no creature which could tramp through a dry
forest and then, suddenly, disappear without
trace, surely an animal would either have fled
when it heard/smelled me and I would have heard
it's flight through the bush or it would have
frozen for a time and then cautiously moved away
and I would have heard it during my 45 minute
wait and with such a bright moon that night I
probably would have seen it too.

I would return to this location to camp but I
suspect I will never sleep there as soundly as
before.

I would be interested to hear of experiences
others may have had of a similar ilk.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 283240

Follow Up By: Yowie73 - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 11:41

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 11:41
This would certainly put the wind up me.

You comment on not hearing it leave. It's quite possible that it, whatever it was, waited longer than you before leaving.

How loud was the noise that woke you up? It seems odd that any animal/creature/person that has eluded capture for so long, would be clumbsy enough to make that much noise.

Having said that, I wouldn't be going back :)
FollowupID: 547898

Follow Up By: HowdyDoody - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 13:11

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 13:11
An emu once scared the crap out of me in much the same manner down along the Vic Coast near Lake Tyers.
FollowupID: 547919

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 09:31

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 09:31
Hello Gone Bush,

I took some photos from our local cemetery and in one of the images a blurry, black image appeared. I took a few photos in sequence and the image is only on the one. It isn't a mark on the lens, there is a clear gap between the image and the edge of the shot and it isn't an insect on the lens.

I hope the link works

Viv

[/img]
AnswerID: 283260

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 09:58

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 09:58
Well, I'll add my story of my UFO sighting.

My primary career has been as an Air Traffic Controller. In the early 80's I was working in the old control tower at Perth Airport. One typically bright summer morning after we had dispatched the morning gaggle we noticed a bright light just east of the field. It was confirmed on the radar screens and from that time for the next 3 or 4 hours we had several of these bright lights flying around the airport in broad daylight. The RAAF at Pearce had them on their radar as well. Just bright lights, even thru binoculars there was no substance to them. We all saw them.

Very strange. Haven't seen anything like it since.

The Yowie sightings are fascinating. Very credible reports (very scary too). I think I would poop my pants if I came across one of them.

The book I'm reading is featured on this website. Hard to get hold of, I had to get a bookstore to order it.

Site Link

This is interesting too:

http://www.yowiehunters.com/

More stories please.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 283267

Reply By: Batman69 - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 10:04

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 10:04
Gonebush,

About 20 odd years ago I was staying with cousins near Avoca in the Pyrenees (Central Victoria). We were all in our late teens, it was late and hot so we jumped the local pool fence had a dip a few cans then went for a drive through the local bush. We drove for a few hours drinking more cans and having a laugh (The driver wasn't drinking) when a VERY large black feline creature crossed the road in front of us.

All but the driver were tanked up but we all saw the creature, we were at first stunned. We sobered up pretty quickly, but then there was the calls of F#$K did you see that, what was it etc. All people in the car still have pretty vivid memories of the night but we'll never know what it was. All agreed it was roughly the size of a large dog but with a distinct cat look about it, and definitely didn't move like a dog.

Since I have heard of sightings around Talbot which is South East of Avoca of a similar sort of creature, but have not seen anything like it since.

Guess we will never know what it was.

Cheers

Steve.
AnswerID: 283268

Follow Up By: HowdyDoody - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 13:19

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 13:19
We too have seen a similar thing but oddly in the middle of the day when I thought most cats slept. It was down a 4WD track towards Cape Liptrap in Vic. We both saw the cat (almost as high as the bonnet) cross the muddy track and slink into the trees on the other side (very dense either side). When we got there the footprints were clear right where we saw it. Still wonder about that. Another friend has reported a cat running full pelt across the road in front of him near Licola jumping the farm fences either side of the road. Cats running at full steam have a very unique and sleek movement and I have no idea of any animal they could be confused with. I'm not yet convinced but super intrigued.
FollowupID: 547925

Follow Up By: ddr - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 14:02

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 14:02
Mrs & I saw similar at the 4wd Club Property in Heyfield one late afternoon walk. It ran off in a VERY similar pattern as a large cat & was about the same size as a newfoundland, so not little.
FollowupID: 547931

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 10:21

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 10:21
Hi GoneBush

I don't mind reading the odd science fiction story either.

But to many peoples disappointment the number of these incidents with any credibility diminishes directly as the amount of independent evidence rises.

Stories about strange events with even stranger explanations always seem to fascinate people but in the end they are just straightforward situations which weren't observed adequately.

Mind you no amount of logic I can muster has been able to explain
why my wife changes her mind so often.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 283272

Reply By: Louie the fly - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 13:58

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 13:58
There's a story about an old homestead ruin out of Lyndhurst. i'll try to get my mate to write it down. Apparently a lot of the guys that work at Moomba know the story. Something about lights on at the ruin.
AnswerID: 283323

Reply By: Member - LOS BUSH - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 16:14

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 16:14
G'DAY BUSHY (speaking loudly) good story you posted. You asked about cats,I have spent some time in the bush and cruising around on a bush bike with a few mates and came across a rock cave type manmade shed about 200klms east of Paynes Find.
Last Ansac weekend we stopped and walked over to the structure and had a real scare. the biggest,meanest,tallest and bloody wildest dirty grayish black cat we had ever seen came belting out toward us and to the right snarling and spitting as it went into the bush scrub for cover.This cat would have had to be nearly a metre tall.
After we all said **** did you see the size of that ,we had a look inside the shed cave thing and the floor was covered with roo bones and fur etc. some of the roos the cat had brought back to the shed were large animals, the cat would have to be very strong to drag a large roo back to its dining room, went back a couple of times and did'nt the cat aqain
AnswerID: 283352

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:29

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:29
I'm glad you found that CAPS LOCK button, and LOS it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 548029

Reply By: True Blue - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 17:26

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 17:26
Gone Bush (WA).

I tried to do a search for my reply when a forumite had raised this subject on a previous occasion perhaps a year or two ago.

I couldn't find it, but I wondered how many of you out there has had 3 separate incidents (for want of a better word) at the same spot over a period of say 4 - 5 years?

The period was in the 70's and included :

1. Strange moving lights (like stars) in the sky above us.
2. Lights shining down on us from very close (say up to 20metres
away) from the top of a stand of trees.
3. Strange sounds and vibrations, like HEAVY footsteps through the earth as though something large and very heavy had just ran up to you but there was nothing there to see. This particular incident started off with us hearing heavy steps through an area of the bush straight ahead of us. We instantly stopped, but the steps sounded as though they were continuing towards us. They sounded really close, perhaps 10 metres away or so. What ever that distance was, was covered in a rush of steps that felt as though something very heavy indeed had just raced up to you and stopped a few mils away. It occurred during broad daylight in sparsely dense bush.

The location was a reasonably remote area south east in the Grampians (Vic). We were hunting with the owners permission and no drugs or alcohol was involved. The nearest farmhouse was several ks away and was way off the beaten track.

The first 2 incidents didn't ruffle our feathers eventhough they probably should have, but the third REALLY put the wind up us.
I don't mind telling you we (2 of us, and armed) were absolutely petrified.

We used to frequent that particular paddock monthly for years
but following the heavy footsteps we all stopped going there for 30 years. I have visited the spot twice over the last 2 years and it is now a eucalypt plantation.

Cheers.

True Blue,.
AnswerID: 283364

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 20:54

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 20:54
Bushwalking in the Hattah lakes with my cousin many years back. We had set some rabbit traps set and were walking back to camp in the gloom of the early evening when a mysterious "creature" emerged ffom the mallee tree line about 40 metres away from us and proceeded to snake it's way towards us. It was about 80cm high at it's front and then tapered off getting smaller towards its end some and appeared to be some four metres in length. In the gloom it seemed to have far to many legs for any natural animal and moved in a similar motion to the chinese dragons you see at Moomba, snaking from side to side.Well we were to stunned to move or speak and as the wind was in our favour, this creature kept approaching us at a rapid pace on it's 20 legs. As it got to about 15 metres away we finally #*%@ ourselves and ran, looking over our shoulder to see the rabid, ravenous beast disolve into the many parts of a big feral sow and eight good sized piglets. They'd been walking nose to tail following mum as they often do. Changed the jocks and bleep ourselves laughing. Another X-file solved!

Mick.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 283413

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:41

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:41
ROFLMAO

I was wondering how this was going to end :)))

FollowupID: 548030

Reply By: MartyB - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 22:06

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 22:06
I quite often hear Koalas in the middle of the night. Some of the noises that they make are bloody awful. I can imagine what the people who came over on the first fleet would have thought. In a strange country, having already seen many strange creatures, then hearing those noises at night. No decent light to investigate with. I believe this is where most of the Yowie & Bunyip legends would have came from. The spots you have listed as hot spots are also the main koala habitats.
But also an old bloke I know told me about a very large cat like creature he saw on Fraser Island, size of a large dog. Strangest animal I have seen on Fraser was a cow, definately not what I expected to see.

Marty.
AnswerID: 283436

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 19:33

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 19:33
OK OK I know this is a feeble attempt to keep this thread alive....but,

NASA have taken a photo of a Yowie on Mars !!

see: Humanoid figure on Mars

That's why Yowies have never been caught or photographed, they are little (maybe BIG) stinkers from MARS!!

At least I got this thread to the top of the list again.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 283592

Sponsored Links