Normanton To Burketown Road

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 09:26
ThreadID: 53818 Views:7935 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Can anyone tell me if I could take a single axel 2wd caravan along this road, as we would like to get into lawn hill NP, I know we can access it from Cloncurry/Cammooweal but would prefer to stay at Adels Grove if at all possible. Your views would be really appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (Narangba QLD - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 09:46

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 09:46
Don't quite understand your question!!!

Normanton and Burketown are a long way from Lawn Hill. You say you can access it from Cloncurry and this means that you are already at Adels Grove. Seen other vans on this road but don't know how the vans were after the trip????

Normanton to Burketown is another road where you do not need 4WD but contruction strength, tyre strength, road clearance etc are the issues. Great place to visit and Leichhardt Falls is a spectacular place.

The roads are probably impassable at this moment but after the wet should be OK.

If this is a 2WD car plus an onroad van it will have to be slow and steady as the road can be rough but this depends on road maintenance schedules etc.
AnswerID: 283264

Reply By: Mal and Di - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 11:07

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 11:07
In August last year we travelled the Birdsville Track from the south and then onto Lawn Hill coming in from Burke and Wills Roadhouse.
The dirt from Gregory River to Lawn Hill was reasonable, no better or worse than the B/Track. However due to a punctured shocker on the AVan Cruiseliner(courtesy of the stones on the track) I declined to go onto Burketown instead going back to B&W Roadhouse and then onto Normanton on the tar.
So in answer to your question, go for it. There were plenty of "normal" vans in that vicinity.
I would advise you stay at Adels Grove in lieu of Lawn Hill, at least you will have shade there and the facilities are very good.
AnswerID: 283285

Reply By: steamfire01 - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 16:57

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 16:57
Hi
I really wouldn't take a standard van across this road, it's fairly rough in places and the bumps and flexing won't do it a lot of good.
If you do go that way, stay at Leichhardt falls, it's a great spot as long as you are self-contained. There are a few freshies around the area.
regards
TJ
AnswerID: 283359

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 19:00

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 19:00
I took a standard 20ft van that way in 1985....lol...towing with an old Nissan G60. This was after the wet season and the grass had to be pushed down in places as it was growing on the track in places.

Just take it easy and you will be OK

Cheers
AnswerID: 283385

Sponsored Links