natmaps to gps

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 11:21
ThreadID: 53825 Views:1817 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
anyone know how to transfer natmaps to a street navigator. i tried it but it only saves it as a picture for viewing. i cant get it to transfer as a navigatable type map. thanks . ( its a 'laser ' brand gps that runs on 'smart to go' or nokia 5. )
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 12:05

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 12:05
Can't be done sorry.....you are trying to transfer a raster image to a vector based program.

Those units are using Australian mapping from NAVTEQ only.

Andrew
AnswerID: 283295

Follow Up By: Member - Steve Y (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 13:14

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 13:14
You could print the NAT map you wnat then use Ozie to create the appropriate vectors for referecne but it would be to hard.
FollowupID: 547923

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 16:41

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 16:41
The "vector" data used to create the Natmap series is available for download from the Geoscience Australia website (just like the raster format maps are). The difficult bit would be compiling the various layers (i.e. roads rivers contours etc) and then getting them in the correct vector format - there are many and most are brand specific. There may not even be a readily available conversion program on net for some (most) formats and if available they are likely to require lots of trial and error in getting maps looking good. The Shonkymaps and t4A maps available for Garmins are one such product made for 250K Natmap vector data.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 547959

Sponsored Links