april in victoria-suggestions?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 18:52
ThreadID: 53837 Views:1997 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We (me wife and in-laws) are thinking of going to victoria (from adelaide) for 2 weeks in april. I was wondering if anybody can tell me what kind of weather to expect, if it will be too cold to camp, if the high country will be good at that time of year, and any other suggestions of areas worthwhile. We want to fish, camp, as well as explore some moderate tracks.

Thanks in advance

jon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:06

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:06
The High Country is 'Good' all year round. Camping in the Valleys it may get down around 5 degrees up to 25. On the Peaks it is quite likely to snow in April with temps below zero up to 15.
Fishing is pretty ordinary at the moment following a couple of years of draught, 2 very severe fires & a couple of flash floods but you can get lucky.
Plenty of moderate tracks from Sheepyard Flat/Craigs Hut over the Bluff, through Wonnangatta to Dargo. Just need to be cautious with river depths after heavy rain & of course a chainsaw is pretty handy at the moment with all the trees falling.
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 283415

Reply By: Jim from Best Off Road - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:15

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:15
The high country will be cool to cold at that time of year, but not too cold to camp.

The variey of tracks in that area is immense. I can send you trip notes for a good day trip from Mansfield up throught the huts and across to Bulla. Nothing too severe and a lovely day out.

Send me a note: jimbest at bestoffroad dot net dot au

Possibly base yourself at somewhere like Pineapple Flat and explore from there.

lt's a hell of a part of the world.

Jim.

AnswerID: 283419

Reply By: Member - Royce- Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 10:23

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 10:23
The weather will be fantastic!
Come and camp on my block in mid Gippsland and do day tours.... Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 283478

Reply By: PaulC52 - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 22:56

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 22:56
From our experience April is the best time of the year in Victoria for camping, including the high country. While you're there try the east Gippsland coast around Marlo, Cape Conran and beyond.
AnswerID: 283812

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 09:33

Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 09:33
jon, pleanty of suggestions above, but no need to just head to the furtherest part of Victoria or back from it without stopping. Places like the Pyrenees basing yourself at Avoca and checking out the DSE maps of the tracks can be very rewarding too. If you are camping, the Waterfalls camp and Camerons Track camp site would be a good part way home stop.
AnswerID: 283837

Sponsored Links