Kalbarri in school holidays

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 16:18
ThreadID: 5385 Views:1445 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning a trip to Kalbarri in July school holidays while we get our house tiled.
Anyone have any interesting places to go and see around the area by 4wd.

Thank in advance.live life to the full!!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: michael - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 16:41

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 16:41
Scott , many walks at gorges etc. but MUST take flynets if anything like april hols. Hope CALM have become better firelighters than when we got smoked out in April because the idiots just couldn't wait until the kids school holidays were over before turning scenic Kalbarri into what looked like a mini Baghdad ! Good swatting.
AnswerID: 22218

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 17:25

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 17:25
Hi Scotti,

You can 4WD for some distance along the Murchison River. There is a gravel road going east from just in front of the CVP down by the river (can't recall the name but it's the only one on the river anyway). Just keep following it it down along the river and before long it narrows becoming 4WD only. Not difficult just a bit sandy in places. Actually there are a maze of tracks through here but stick to the river and you won't get lost. You'll also see Red Hill towering above the river flats here. There is a track going up there too but last time I was there the Kalbarri visitors centre told us access was restricted because it is Aboriginal owned.

Another thing, check out the ExploOz teams trip journals from their travels up this way. They refer to finding some old ruins in the region which I would love to chase up myself sometime.

If you haven't already been, you could take a day trip south along the new coast road as far as Horrocks Beach. On the way you'll go past Port Gregory, the Pink Lakes (very pink) and Lindon (?) Convict ruins. At Horrocks, head north just behind the CVP where there are some tracks in the dunes and you can drive along the beach. When we were there last year there was a dead whale rotting on the beach. The skeleton may still be there.

Also from Horrocks if you head a few k's towards Northhampton, on the RHS is the turnoff to the Bowes River mouth. It is a NP so the access is via good gravel road. There are a series of caves with aboriginal paintings along here.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 22221

Sponsored Links