Hugh River Stock route.

Many people have asked the question about Chambers Pillar to Rainbow Valley or visa versa.

I just confirmed with Orange Creek Station that the Hugh River Stock route is open to the public.

The sigh on the gate that says no entry is to be ignored.

The turn off on the Stuart Hwy is 101 km south of Alice Springs and is 92 km to Maryvale Station.

The phone # is 0889560924.

Cheers Steve.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:32

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:32
Excellent Steve our original treknote went that way however we were alerted to the sign. I will see if I can dig up a plot file for it and publish the notes again for that exact route.

If anyone has a plot file for this route please load it in PlotSwap or send it to me and we will publish this not again.

Thanks again for the advice.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 283540

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:38

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:38
Hey David

I noticed the HRSR sign the other day when I went passed, so I asked at Stuart Well Road house and she said it was open and to ignore the no entry sign, so I just rang Orange creek station and ask and they said it was open to the public.

So there you go.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 548164

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:42

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:42
Steve,

Great, I just went through the file archive and could not locate it - I think we travelled this pre gps (you know the good old days).
Anyway if anyone has it please upload or let me know and we will make a trek note out of it.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 548165

Reply By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:42

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:42
excellent news steve
AnswerID: 283543

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:47

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:47
Steve,
What about the short cut that leaves the Stock route at the railway line, heads north for 7 km, crosses the railway line then heads west past some stockyards directly to Rainbow Valley? We travelled this some years back as it looked like a public road, and there were no signs, but when we got to Rainbow Valley, the sign in the opposite direction said private property.
AnswerID: 283548

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:57

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:57
I was just passing the HRSR and Maryvale sign and wondered if there was access, that's why I rang.

I didn't know of the short cut, but did see the private property sign at Rainbow valley you speak of.

From Rainbow valley it is 23 km to the Stuart Hwy 21 km to the HRSR that passes Stuart Well roadhouse and the Camel farm then 92 km to Maryvale station and 43 to Chambers Pillar.

Perhaps a courtesy call before entering as well.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 548171

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 17:43

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 17:43
Gday
If your talking about the track that goes from the Northern side of the jump up across to the railway line and the up to the HRSR your not supposed to be on that track or the railway line.
Idracowra have big signs up and so does the railways.
Cheers
FollowupID: 548178

Follow Up By: Member - Adam S (SA) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 17:47

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 17:47
G'day Phil,
As far as I know Orange Creek do not control the service road that runs along side new Ghan, it is controlled by the railways,and they deny access to the public.

As for the HRSR,Once again as far as I know it is a public road and Orange Creek can not close it off.

I have been wrong before.

Adam.
FollowupID: 548179

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 18:21

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 18:21
Thanks guys. I expected that it was still off limits without permission. Pity really, it saves over 60km.
FollowupID: 548193

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 21:02

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 21:02
Sshh!!!
Dont tell any one , but the gates arent locked.
FollowupID: 548224

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 17:16

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 17:16
The mis-informing of tourists, by some outback locals is an art form in some parts of the bush (especially if they don't sell any goods and services to tourists). As those tax paying tourists, its our job to see through the bulldust where and when we can ! and if nothing else, it often saves us hard fuel dollars !! Thanks Steve.
AnswerID: 283555

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 19:49

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 19:49
G'day Steve

Didn't know there was a sign on the gate. The Hugh River Stock Route has always been Public Access since the year dot

North along the railway line and into Rainbow Valley there have been signs erected for years but some of us take scant notice.

South towards Idracowra and the signs are prevalent. Idracowra pastoral lease owners are reknowned for being nasty. Railway authorities like to flex their muscles in signs but the truth is that there is no one out there except the odd railwayline technician.

Not sure if the old track via the Idracowra fence to Chambers Pillar off the Rail corridor is still open. Haven't been down that way for a while but have travelled the track on a number of occasions. No need to go to these places any more...been there done that....lol

Cheers
AnswerID: 283593

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 22:31

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 22:31
The Wattos reported on their trip with their Phoenix caravan in May last year. They encountered no problems with the Hugh River Stock Route. I'm sure they would not go on a road if it was closed to the general public, or signed as such without checking out the legalities. They took a few other tracks after that. They are the one's who went along the transcontinental railway after checking that it was OK to do so. They went via the transcontinental again this year.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 283639

Sponsored Links