Diahatsu ROCKY Turbo diesel (with new battery)

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 18:44
ThreadID: 53873 Views:4555 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Have been offered (December 1993 build) Rocky intercooled turbo wagon.

Has anyone who actually works on them or owns them, any comments to make that will allow me say 'yes' or 'no' to a deal on one of these supposedly "go anywhere" 4wd's.

It's a 2.8 Lt intercooled turbo diesel, 5 speed, dual range.

104,000 Klm and in pristine condition as I've seen it prior to being detailed.
Has one hell of a big battery :-))
The seats and dash are as new.
I've been advised they all blow smoke on start-up for some reason, but so far have not seen or heard this one running.

Looks like it's never been off the tar as no unrealistic marks at all underneath it like on mine.

My Solar system won't fit the roof, so it's a hassle already lol
but it's 4wd and should tow a boat with-out problems.

Mainey...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - swagman(VIC) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 19:04

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 19:04
i have had two rockys,both turbo and serviced them every 5000 and didnt have any problems.i sold mine at 100,000/10years.went through places others got stuck.wish i hadnt sold it now
AnswerID: 283584

Follow Up By: disco driver - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 19:33

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 19:33
I'll second that.
Had a couple for work,(among all the others over the years:- Hilux, Mits Triton Navara, Courier and Rodeo).

My opinion

Tough as old boots, good lugging power, not quite as comfortable though, definitely not the quickest 4wd on the market, very much underrated off road performance.
A little black smoke on start-up is fairly normal

A good one is worth getting

Disco.
FollowupID: 548206

Reply By: redmeatgrr - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 19:26

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 19:26
we've got three of them on the hobby farm, one ute plus two resin tops.

Best features are good approach and departure angles, good reliable (turbo)diesels, the driveline is really designed for a much bigger truck and should therefore last half a million kms if looked after (one of the resin tops has done 400.000, still going strong) , solid dash doesn't make any noise after a hard life over corrugations, cheap to buy, don't rust easily, sunroofs on most resin tops as standard equipment, pulls a 2 tonne trailer easily

Worst features are the notorious light switch stalk that wears out, electrics may malfunction, especially back lights and fuses, front seatbacks can crack (they are bad to sit on anyway), toyota is now looking after the spare parts for them after Daihatsu called it quits a few years ago, so spares can be expensive and hard to find, last Rockys were sold late 90's and even then they weren't sold in big numbers, no locking diffs available, but some came with lsd:s most of which are now worn out on high mileage Rockys,

Its probably impossible and not practical to make a comp truck out of it, but very capable off road as standard
AnswerID: 283589

Reply By: Davo_60 - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 19:33

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 19:33
Hello Mainey,

The Rockys are a great vehicle, very strong and reliable, the turbo diesel is fantastic. The only limiting factor is the complete lack of aftermarket accessories and at times parts can be a bit of a hassle to get. Otherwise the best small (fair dinkum) 4x4 I can think of. I had an 87 Rocky.

Cheers,
Dave
AnswerID: 283590

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 19:58

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 19:58
So you've gathered that they are a good vehicle - makes you wonder why they didn't sell many.
Answer is simple - they were too expensive at the time.
$33,900 + ORC was a lot of money for a small 4wd back in 1993.
AnswerID: 283596

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 21:21

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 21:21
Wow if the milage is correct you have a beauty to buy. I had a 94 model, They will do more than most owners will ask of them.
Not called a SportsWagon for nothing,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 283615

Reply By: Mainey (wa) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 18:27

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 18:27
Finally drove the Rocky, now I know where it gets it's name from :-((

I also drove the new Hyundai i30..... :-) :-) :-) I'm in luv

So it's not 4x4 but a small sedan... it's got a 1.6Lt DI common rail DIESEL with TURBO and absolutely flys...
with a claimed 4.7lt per 100klm it is a fuel miser, wonder if arb make a tow bar for them??

Not available for 7 weeks in the configuration I want so I have time to look at anything else.

(finally done the SEAchange with a [brick] home by the ocean - out goes the solar and camping gear to make way for the boat)
Mainey...
AnswerID: 283970

Reply By: banshee - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 14:46

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 14:46
heh mate,

the battery is big but that is the standard of it...i have had one for a couple of hears now 85 model..had the engine rebuilt cause one of the cylinders went...so i got given the car for free and spent 4500 on the motor and that was about it...pulls like a demon now..draged a 2 tonne dual axle meteor trailer up the bloomfield track and did not miss a beat..entry and exit angles are perfect for short steep creek crossings...low range is like a tractor with good tread on the tyres.

even with the newly rebuilt engine it still puffs on first startup..no idea why..mine is the standard diesel no turbo but will hold the 100km easy..although between 70 and 100 does take some time.getting about 650 km to the tank of fuel

i have also owned nissan patrols, cruisers, pajero, landrovers etc and used them and i am impressed how well the old chugger goes.

marty
AnswerID: 286703

Sponsored Links