Re thread 53550, Sat phone For Footloose and others

Submitted: Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 00:29
ThreadID: 53885 Views:2339 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, As promised in the above mentioned thread I thought that I would give you an update on our Globalstar that our Son took up North with him to try it out. I guess that I should explain where this all started from. Last year I rang Globalstar to check if it would be working OK for our trip we did back then, we were told that the longest we would wait for a reception would be about 10 - 20 minutes so we thought that's OK we will stay with it, we came across an emergency and yes you guessed it no coverage for hours, phone thrown under all the luggage in disgust and never used again. Rang Globalstar on our return and they told me all Sats would be up and running by end of Jan 2008 and that they would waive all cost until then, OK I say that sounds fair, The other day we get our Jan Bill from Globalstar for $70, our usual bill is $35 so back to Globalstar I go wanting to know whats with the $70 (I was happy to pay $35) and all the girl could say was it was Decs bill as well but we already had a Credit for our Dec bill, I couldn't get any sense out of her so that's when we sent the phone up North with our Son, If it worked we would just pay up. Well as expected it didn't work, surprise surprise, so back to Globalstar this morning and I got the same girl so I spat the dummy and handed the phone over to Hubby who after a "discussion" (during which he asked to speak to a supervisor and was refused) he got the $70 bill waive and Febs bill waived as well but all Sats will be up and running by March so will receive no credits after that.

Out of the "discussion" we found that even when all the sats are up it will only be 2009 - 2010 that we will get at least 99% coverage, until then it will only be 80%

Now for the 'biggie' Hubby was also told that in Feb a letter will be coming out for all Globalstar clients that there will be deals offered with Iridium, hubby asked if they are one and the same company, she denied this but said that because of the problems the are having they were just "ongoing to Iridium" how thoughtful of them to help out the opposition!!!!!!!! She also stated that there would be offers of buyback on Qualcom phones for Iridium, call me a sync but I still think there is a link between these two companies.

We will wait with baited breath for the letter in Feb. Hope it is all sorted before we head off for the Birdsville Races.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 04:51

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 04:51
Have a look at these posts about the word of Global$hit

Global$hit Post 1

Global$hit Post 2

Post 2 has a reply from the Australian boss of Pivotel who are the Australian service providers of the Global$hit service.
Again make up your own mind as to the credibility of anything they say.
I still have doubts that they will be able to set up as a Iridium service provider but if their new Sat's for the GS system are going to cure the issue shortly it begs the question why would they consider selling Iridium?

Global$hit and Iridium are two separate companies based in the USA and both use local service providers to sell and support the service in various countries.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 283657

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 12:35

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 12:35
Thanks for the links John, I must have ben busy around that time to have missed them.

Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 548338

Reply By: Footloose - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 11:56

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 11:56
Thanks for that Doneworkin. It confirms my suspicions that
1. Their coverage hasn't improved
2. Their so called "service" hasn't improved
3. The issue of more sats etc is simply hot air for most of us
4. Irridium is a very different service with different sats, and friendly and helpful service providers, and a global coverage.

Sorry but I suspect that a buyback is a load of hot air also. The company is full of it.
AnswerID: 283712

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 12:40

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 12:40
I tend to agree with you Footloose but I must admit that they have ageed to waive our costs for the past months so at least that is something. As I said we will wait with baited breath. We are reluctant to change phones because WHEN this one was working it really was fantastic so I guess we are hoping for a return to that service.

Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 548339

Follow Up By: Footloose - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 12:45

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 12:45
You could always hire one from the opposition and try their service :))
FollowupID: 548343

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 13:08

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 13:08
Very generous to waive the charges for a service that they can't provide??

I have always been of the view that if you pay money you should actually get goods or services of value in return.

Also from what you say the only reason they waived the charges was because you complained, what about those that are still paying and getting nothing for it?? (More fool them)
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 548347

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 17:14

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 17:14
I had my bill waived also but the account still comes each month. It is now up to $1800 something. I was told that unless I pay the account I won't be able to use the service in 2011 when it all comes on line. I am usually well prepared when I go traveling but if an emergency arises think I will use some other form of comunication other than wait for a conection with Globalstar.
I have worked out why there is no comunication within the Globalstar organisation, they are using their own phones.

Neil
AnswerID: 283762

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 21:26

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 21:26
Hi Neil & Pauline, Our bill comes in each month as well but at the back if it there is a credit for the same amount making the amount due 0.

"I have worked out why there is no communication within the Globalstar organisation, they are using their own phones." ROTFL

Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 548470

Reply By: trouper - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 18:34

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 18:34
The way I see it is, if its good enough for the RFDS and the Remote Area Nursing Service to use Iridium Its good enough for me. A mate has Glodalstar, he hates it and recently went to Iridium now he's happy again......

regards

Jeff
AnswerID: 283776

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 21:30

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 21:30
Hi trouper, Understand what you are saying, however we are not using the phone at the moment and are not paying for it either so I'm patient enough to see what is going to happen next month (not expecting anything) and will go from there. I don't think this saga is going to go away any time soon.

Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 548471

Sponsored Links