Petition to End HD-DVD/Blu Ray format War

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 07:12
ThreadID: 53907 Views:1914 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I don't normally post non-autmotive stuff here, but I am passionate about this!

Since Blu Ray has 83% of the High Def market, and only two movie studios to full switch over, if you are like me, and just want HD-DVD to just be dead and done so we can all enjoy more High Def movies, click this

http://www.petitiononline.com/EndWar/petition.html
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 07:48

Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 07:48
Whats wrong with the standard DVD? Is the quality not good enough? Compare a DVD with a VHS tape of the same movie, like chalk and cheese. Already, in most DVD movies, there is not a pixel out of place, How much better quality can the average person need. Its really all about sqeezing more money from you, you get to buy a new hardware, the range now for DVD players and hard disk recorders is endless and you will get to pay a premium cost for your new disks and as we know in the past, lots of people went out and replaced their old vinyls with new CDs, so the idea is the same. The big corporations out to take more of your hard earned money. Dont get me wrong, i like technology and we all benefit from it, but the average Joe doesnt need another format to juggle. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 283832

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 09:16

Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 09:16
Morning Michael,

Is this post just to confirm your grumpy old man status?

Happy Birthday.

BTW, I agree with your comments.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 548517

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 12:20

Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 12:20
This is all about true HD TV's and HD movies running on them. If you compare a Blu-Ray to a DVD its even more marked a difference that VHS to DVD BUT BUT BUT you have to be watching on a HD TV and preferably True HD (1080i) which has 1920 pixels across and 1080 pixels down.

Compare that to a normal TV with around 400 down and 600 across, although it doesn't quite work that way as its really a mix of three colours projected onto the back of the CRT (the picture tube) and the results are amazing.

And HD TV is a cut above the normal, watching sports it really really clear.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 548538

Follow Up By: PajeroTD - Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 17:25

Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 17:25
yep, nobody would touch a still camera that is 1/3 of a megapixel, which is what VHS and DVD resolution is. Blu Ray (FULL HD) is just over 2 Megapixels. VHS and DVD are 575x720 at 25 fps (movies are shot in 24, so have to be converted in PAL) and 480x720 at 30fps in NTSC, its HORRIBLE on any size, especially a 50 inch. DVD has the advantage over VHS of being digital, so the picture is shown a little clearer. HD is long overdue, and when you see a really good result of it by looking at Blu Ray movie in 1080x1920 at 24 frames per second through HDMI on a Sony Bravia XBR LCD, you will never want to buy another DVD again. I admit I am a little Sony biased, but since when did Toshiba and Microsoft become film making experts?
FollowupID: 548568

Reply By: dave_c - Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 17:05

Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 17:05
Google H.A.A.R.P
AnswerID: 283867

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 17:12

Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 17:12
what type of HAARP specifically dave?

You mean the FromTheWilderness propaganda

or the High Frequency Active Auroral Research

The HAARP phased-array transmitter zaps the earth's ionosphere with high-frequency radio waves.

??? And whats that got to do with HiDef
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 548566

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 20:02

Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 20:02
What a poorly written and condescending petition to submit to god knows where....

I would rather see a "universal" standard adopted where no one alliance has full power over royalties. Someone sets a standard and all parties meet this standard, via whatever means they need. All "dvds" would be compatible with any player.

I don't think 83 current signatures are going to change the world.

We can only wish for a sensible outcome.

Andrew
AnswerID: 283884

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 20:06

Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 20:06
Sony couldn't stop people buying VHS instead of their technically better Beta format years ago.
This time the boots on the other foot, and buyers are choosing Blu-Ray. Both BluRay and HD-DVD give true hi-def pictures, but the Blu-Ray has more potential to increase the data capacity in the future.
Gerry
AnswerID: 283885

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 20:23

Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 20:23
Sounds like a good idea I was at the forfront of the ban Bete go VHS movements and riots of the early 80s
AnswerID: 283887

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 07:12

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 07:12
Um....I've got this sneaky suspicion my 8mm movie camera and rattley film projector are becoming obsolete.
Mind you, I do look forward to buying an electric gramaphone as the crank handle on mine is worn out.

Me ol' Nissan came with one of those new dang fangled radio/cassette players which is marvellous, dont need to wait for the valves to warm up. Only problem is Sanity Music dont seem to stock many tapes at the moment but I think they will as the new technology catches on.

I could go on an' on but this Kiwi is still celebrating Australia Day.

PS...have you ever looked at a 'puter screen through the bottom of an empty port bottle ?..........bed time.

Cheers....Lionel.
AnswerID: 283907

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 10:06

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 10:06
Why worry It will sort its self out in time as more people buy the players.
Beta died without petitions so why get worked up over nothing.

If you are happy with what you have just be happy.

I would be happy if I could justify buying either

Next thing a Toyota owner will be getting up a petition to ban Nissans or vice versa.
Wish I had time to worry about things like this.
AnswerID: 283918

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 10:52

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 10:52
"Wish I had time to worry about things like this"

LOL why waste your time.

FollowupID: 548622

Follow Up By: Wetty - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 11:09

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 11:09
I wish I had the money to pay the power bill to run the bloomin things. . . . you ever stood next to an LCD TV? You can just about fry an egg on them. You should be in the great outdoors DOING IT, not watching it on a screen!
Cheers
A.J
FollowupID: 548625

Reply By: Scubaroo - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 01:18

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 01:18
Would be a shame if HD-DVD went by the wayside - at least they had the smarts to ditch region encoding on that format. I believe Blu-ray are still region encoding disks and players.

No idea which is "technically" better, and it sounds like Blu-ray is winning.

Quite happy with regular DVD for many years to come :)
AnswerID: 284015

Sponsored Links