Dash removal - Hilux Surf / Prado - any tips please so I don't break anything

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 20:33
ThreadID: 5393 Views:8450 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Need to replace cigarette lighter on my 97 Toyota Surf - similiar to latest model hiluxs and also Prado's. Advice wanted so I don't break anything. Have got the centre consul around the gear levers etc out but the consul around the radio and heater setup control is loose at the bottom but seems affixed at the top some where - is it a lever off job or are there some screws some where - does the glove box have to come out or what ?

Also to switch off the timing belt warning light - same as Prado I have to swap the 2 screws about at the rear of the instrument cluster - seeing I don't have the manual any advice please - do the surrounds around the steering column need to come off ?

Help would be appreciated.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allfour4x4 - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 20:41

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 20:41
Beddo,
If it is same as Prado, it's a matter of groping around behind the dash. There are small spring clips that need prising off. About five or six from memory.
Bit painful but you'll get the hang of it, all snaps back together in reverse.
Haven't fiddled with the lighter but wouldn't the back just screw off?
Probably useless info, but maybe this will help
Glenn
AnswerID: 22240

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 21:21

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 21:21
Easy fix Beddo buy a "BIC" lighter

CheersPrado TD Auto
AnswerID: 22247

Follow Up By: Jeff (Beddo) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 23:55

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 23:55
Yeh thanks but I have trouble fitting the tyre compressor to it.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
FollowupID: 14642

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 00:26

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 00:26
Opps I did not think of running other things off it.
if you dont have any luck here try 90scoolPrado TD Auto
AnswerID: 22276

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Thursday, Jun 12, 2003 at 16:26

Thursday, Jun 12, 2003 at 16:26
Ya like most vics bernie...engage mouth before engaing brain lol lol lol
Richard
FollowupID: 14702

Reply By: Member - Russell - Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 19:27

Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 19:27
Beddo,
I have an RV6 Prado (1997) which has some vacant space below the radio cassette, normally taken up by the cd player in the GXL - just right for my GME TX4400 radio. The shop said I'd have to pull the dash out to get at it, so I faithfully started pulling stuff off trying to get the whole dash out - glove box, air con ducts, instrument cluster etc etc. Eventually got to a stalemate, but then discovered that the black centre section just pops out if you push and pull from the right place! Grrr. There are four push clips - one on each corner - which are pretty stiff, but do come out. After I'd put the radio in, I found that I'd mucked up the connection on the plug, so had to pull it out again. With my newfound knowledge, it popped out in five minutes. I think I still pulled out the glove box so I could help get the first couple out from behind. Just watch the air con ducts at the top - need to make sure they're seated in the black bit before you push it back together, otherwise they tend to be misaligned.
Hope that helps....

Russell S.Russell S
Prado RV6
AnswerID: 22458

Sponsored Links