Holden Frontera (2001) UES SE (Auto) - ?Rear Main Seal HELP..!!

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 21:50
ThreadID: 53941 Views:2713 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I would appreciate some assistance / advice regarding the topic's title.

My Fronty has started leaking a "moderate" amount of oil. (Teaspoon - tablespoon every 1 - 3 days)

Took it to a Holden Dealership in SA to be told its the Rear main Seal and that it was a BAD leak. They have quoted approx $2000 to do the job (16 hours labour @ $1700 and $300 for parts).

I am seeking some advice from all forumites about the following.
1) What is the implication of not repairing the rear main seal straight away? (What will happen if I delay the repair until I can afford it)

2) Is the cost / time required, estimated by Holden a ball park figure or would I be getting a raw deal.??

3) Can anyone recommend a GOOD and REPUTABLE 4X4 mechanic in Adelaide that can give me a second opinion. (Particularly, anyone who has had similar work done to Fronteras or Rodeos etc)

I live down south (Morphett Vale)

Thanking you all in advance.

Cheers
Shane
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: madfisher - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 22:13

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 22:13
As long as you keep an eye on the oil level and keep it topped up it will be fine. The last person I would get to do the job would be the local Holden dealer. Apart from being inept, private mechanics charge about half what dealerships charge in hourly charges. My mechanic done his apprenticeship at holden then went out by himself, charges $60.00 an hour.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 283992

Reply By: mike w (WA) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 22:48

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 22:48
I concur with Madfisher, however a table spoon of oil does seem a little excessive.

In my opinion, dont bother with the holden dealer unless it is a commondoor or barina, still under warranty and your a bit anal about what they tell you in their propaganda (harsh??) I got conned good and proper not long ago by a (ir)reputable holden dealer in the perth metro area, I tell ya, the more they twisted that pineapple, the worse it got!!!

Ask around for a reputable mechanic, 4wd if you choose.

Also, it may pay to do a search and ask some questions (especially the mechanic one here, click on me!!

Good luck
AnswerID: 283997

Follow Up By: Member - Straps (SA) - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 08:23

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 08:23
Thanks Mike,
I have posted on the Aust. Frontera Forum.
Will see what happens.

Cheers
Shane
FollowupID: 548746

Follow Up By: Camoco - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 13:52

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 13:52
Hi Straps,
I wasn't aware there was an Aust Frontera Forum. What is the address?
I have a 2002 'terra since new and it has been very good to me but it's getting ready for some changes I feel :)

I have always taken my 'terra to the local holden shop, and they have also been very good with the gas side of it (better than the installer) but I wouldn't do it for the commo previously. For the quoted amount I would definitely be looking elsewhere.

Cheers Cam
FollowupID: 549066

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 01:40

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 01:40
If it's the bearing seal, then is really shouldn't be that hard to do for a mechanic with a hoist. All they need to do is to drop the transmission and spent 15 mins replacing the seal....all up about 3-4 hrs tops. Start at a quote of about $500 and you should be about right.
AnswerID: 284017

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 10:01

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 10:01
Hi Straps, I must concur with other replies re that quote...
rude mate, rude. My local mechanic (Little bush town) put a rear seal in the Hilux for $450 in around 3 hrs, on his own.
I cant see a problem as long as you keep up the oil level, but beware..these things can become big leaks in a short time so I
wouldnt do any long trips. Surely some of our local EO people
can direct you to a more respnsible repairer...oldbaz.
AnswerID: 284043

Sponsored Links