Camping along the King River (Vic)

Submitted: Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 08:58
ThreadID: 53954 Views:17421 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

I was wondering if any of you could assist me here, Im looking into organising a family camping trip for a couple days along the King River, but cannot find any decent places online so I was hoping some of you could reference some to me.

Would prefer somewhere next or very close near the river, will be pitching a big tent and abit of gear and probably include 2 or 3 families with kids.

Prefer a grassed area, and dont matter if they are proper campsites, camping grounds or just a nice clearing in the bushland nearby.

I have found "Gentle Annie Camping Reserve"
http://www.gentleannie.net.au/index.php
which looks OK, and I keep finding references to a place along the King River called "Edi-Cutting" which I would like some more information on if possible and/or some pictures of this place and/or others if you could.

Just email me the pics if ya can, keep in mind Im looking for a nice and clean camping ground for families, can involve some light 4x4'ing to get to thou not severe as I dont want to scare em too much.

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 09:29

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 09:29
There a few place that you can camp next to the King River. One is King Hut.

King Hut

It is easy to get to and therefore can get busy.

There is camping across the track from the hut as shown here as well as camping either side of the hut.

The river is just behind the hut

Wayne
AnswerID: 284034

Follow Up By: TUFF IFS LUX - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 09:41

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 09:41
Thanks mate, I appreciate you prompt response, will keep it in mind.
FollowupID: 548765

Reply By: Phil.Fehlberg - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 10:30

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 10:30
Another nice spot is Pineapple Flat. You will find it mentioned here:
Mount Stirling and Surrounds
AnswerID: 284055

Reply By: Joe - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 11:43

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 11:43
We enjoyed camping and cooling off by the river at King Hut.
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 284070

Reply By: Member - dock - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 18:48

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 18:48
Edi Cutting is about 6 k's before you get to Whitfield as you come from Moyhu It is just past the Edi bridge running about 300 metres along the King with a gate at each end which are only used if there is stock in the camping area. It has a couple of pit dunnies and is popular swimming spot for the locals. Good camping spot but pretty busy on weekends.Gentle Annie is part of the caravan park on the river and will cost something and is in my opinion no better than Edi Cutting. If you go to Cheshunt and turn right to go to Lake William Hovell there is a spot on the river up the dirt road before you cross the river just after Chrismont Wines. After that there is couple of spots when you go past all the farms and hit the bush just before the lake.That is about the extent of the pulic access on the river below Lake William Hovell
AnswerID: 284163

Follow Up By: TUFF IFS LUX - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 20:05

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 20:05
Thankyou, I appreciate your help guys. I might go check it out myself one weekend before I go up there with the family.
FollowupID: 548928

Reply By: madcow - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 07:36

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 07:36
Just spent the weekend down there and it was busy but we found ourselves a corner. Had one trailbike come through the camp and were told in no uncertain terms to bugger off! There are a number of plum trees in full fruit and we came home with a heap in buckets. We even saw a bat flying at night landing in the trees having a feed. the river is at a good depth for kids to swim in. Saturday we went for a spin up to Lake cobbler,down the staircase to king river hut, took the track to Pineapple flat and surprisingly not many camped there. Then proceeded to Criags hut for a look and headed back vis Number 3 track onto buckland spur with a steep descent into the Back of Lake william hovell.

The Camping area is pretty large with firewood around if your prepared to look.
AnswerID: 284265

Follow Up By: TUFF IFS LUX - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 18:52

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 18:52
cheers mate, thanks guys for posting up the details, Ill keep them for when Im ready to go up there and refer to them once there. I dont suppose any of you would have some pics of the camp area or some of the camping spots in the are so I can show the other half what it looks like before going for a drive there?

Thanks again.
FollowupID: 549110

Sponsored Links