Can't let her go !

Submitted: Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 15:29
ThreadID: 53969 Views:2370 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Sat down the other day & thought to myself I would like to update to a newer model of the big two after having had mine for quiete some years. But after reading all the problems of Toyota front diff's, torsion bars, gearbox probs etc I ruled out a 100 Series. Then looked at the 80series, but they had nearly twice the K's as mine .Then looked at Nissan & instantly ruled out the 3ltr after reading about the EGR, MAF probs & the unknown of when you are about to be towed home. Then considered the later 4.2's, but was a little put off by all the problems of overheating that Roachie had. So that was the finish of my inspiration for going upmarket. Yes! you might ask what sort of vehicle does this bloke own to be not impressed with the current market. Well it's a 1983 60 Series Sahara 2H Diesel with aftermarket Turbo 5/speed (rustproofed from new) with origonal 255,000k's. The final thing that made up my mind was when a friend who runs a 4'by business said look how beautifull that engine runs, there's not a murmur in it, don't ever sell it as they don't make them like it anymore. Well I guess it's back to the rough ride, vague steering & my half torn uncomfortable drivers seat. Maybe next year oh reliable one, love is blind !
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Davo_60 - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 15:50

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 15:50
G'Day Shane,

I'm with you, my 60 has low km's and really only gets used for trips, spends the rest of the time undercover. Nice and simple, easy to work on and comfortable enough for me. We have a car for all other commuting. Can't justify the cost to upgrade and then set up another (newer) vehicle.

Cheers,
Dave
AnswerID: 284105

Follow Up By: Shane (QLD) - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 16:56

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 16:56
Davo,

Surprisingly I am the opposite, I have a new VE Commodore SS 6ltr that stays in the garage as I don't appreciate some of the clowns in carparks that leave creases on your doors. I use the car mainly for trips & the Cruiser for hog hunting out West QLD & general running around. Being a Diesel it's a bit more economical than the car which drops two bobs out the exhaust each time you start it ! It's funny when you have a reliable 4'by you tend to feel a little sympathy for the people that have forked out big dollars to end up with major problems & a unreliable vehicle (Nissan 3 Ltr), it must put a lingering doubt in their mind at the start of a trip. My beast has never let me down, rain hail or shine, always starts first time & with the knowledge that I could take it around Aust tomorrow, with the added bonus of being able to work on it if need be. Mine is a one off originol Dealer 2 tone (Gold & Brown), powdercoated ARB, spotties/2 way's etc & because of condition & looks have had more offers to buy than I care to forget, (with the exception of Dealers who tell me to take it to the tip as they would give me more for it). 2 Tone Cruiser's apparently never came out till about '85 I'm told. Jeez I just realised in another 5 years I can put Vintage plates on it ! Cheer's !
FollowupID: 548858

Follow Up By: Davo_60 - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 20:18

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 20:18
Shane,

Just hard to justify spending money for newer vehicle that will only do the same thing anyway. I will admit that they require a little more tinkering than the new vehicles but I have become quite the enthusiast now. Will be doing the Simpson this year in it and the Kimberley next year and have no concerns doing those trips with the old girl. All maintenance is done as required so I would have no dramas in taking off around Australia tomorrow either. There are quite a few still kicking around, particularly when you head out of town or into the country areas. It is pretty hard to find good ones for sale these days however and if there is one the price tends to be ridiculous. Anyway I am happy and enjoy driving it despite the bumps.

Cheers,
FollowupID: 548936

Reply By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 15:54

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 15:54
Shane.

Seriously the only trouble you will have with a 100 series, would be if you drove it like you stole it, I have 3 of them 1 is a 2000 standard 105 series with 280000km on it I have the books and not one problem with Gbox or diff the other is a 2002 105 GXL with 315000 km and no problems yet, and I have an 2003 GXL with 130000km on it.

I bought the 03 model in march last year with 72000 km on it so it has just done the tour season which is 180 days of 100 km black top and 130 of corrugated dirt road per day, I just drove another 12300 km from Jabiru to Cairns down to Fraser and across to Innamincka down the Strzseleki up the Oodnadatta out to the rock then back home.

All I have to do to it before it's next tour is service it oil and filters and wash it.

So forget the bull$hit and up grade.

Cheers Steve.

AnswerID: 284107

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 16:16

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 16:16
I would agree with Steve.

If you can get a good '99 to '03 100 series with a live axle they are unstoppable. You can pick them up quite cheap and most have been used as shopping carts. Do the ebay thing.

Regards

Derek.
AnswerID: 284110

Follow Up By: Shane (QLD) - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 17:07

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 17:07
Thank's Fella's forgot about the live front axle Series. Was thinking of the IF front & the Diff problems trying to snatch in reverse or going uphill in the same mode (Hilux Diffs). Did these come out in a factory T/Diesel or just the 1HZ ?
FollowupID: 548861

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 17:37

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 17:37
Just the 1hz

Steve.
FollowupID: 548869

Follow Up By: Shane (QLD) - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 19:29

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 19:29
Steve,

Are any of your Cruiser's aftermarket turbo'd or standard. Hired a 1HZ 80 Series Cruiser in Cairns once & although I can't really complain because we were taking it easy up the Bloomfield I thought it could do with a bit more power going back to Cairns via Mossman.
FollowupID: 548916

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 19:38

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 19:38
They are all non turbo, I have never felt the need for more power, for me they do the job I need them to do and they do it well.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 548919

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 20:45

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 20:45
Derek,
Just done the ebay thing with you, bought an electric brake controller via ebay. Didn't realise you were part of the forum, ah well you live and learn. Look forward to getting my Teshonka Prodigy thing.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 548948

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 16:59

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 16:59
Shane,

The other option is to go the way I have for much the same reasons that you have said.

78 Series Troopie
Turbo or non turbo the choice is yours
Coil front end
Solid axle
Leaf rear end
4 wheel disc brakes
The 60 Series sounds like a good vehicle but it would not be worth much to someone else. So you might have to keep it till it dies or the maintenance cost are too high.

Wayne
AnswerID: 284121

Follow Up By: Shane (QLD) - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 17:16

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 17:16
Thanks Wayne, but I have never really liked theTroopy. I know they are a good vehicle, but it's more a love, hate relationship with some aspects of the vehicle ! Trouble with the one I got is that it won't die, so I can bury it.
FollowupID: 548863

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 20:20

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 20:20
Shane, The 60 series diesel is a great, great vehicle, no shame in owning a reliable vehicle in that model that will go just about anywhere.. As mentioned earlier, just keep it as long as you can. the downside is they are rough riders with the leaf springs. I think that parts would not be a problem, new or used for some years yet!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 284191

Follow Up By: Shane (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 08:30

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 08:30
Thank's for the accolade Michael ! I used to live down your way (Orient Point via Nowra) & worked the Nowra area out to Cambewarra Mtn, Kangaroo Valley, Berry & Husky as a Faultman for Telecom ( Telstra). It's a nice area. I left in 1988, but still have friends down there. Actually one of my friends used to be a Butcher at Moss Vale, but now works at Shoalhaven Heads.
FollowupID: 549031

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 09:23

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 09:23
Shane , Have you thought about buying a Stratos or similar after market seat for the drivers side, HUGE difference in comfort and fits your body better for the rough and tumble stuff, about $900. It will be the best money you will ever spend and it will feel like a new vehicle.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 284281

Sponsored Links