Water tank for GU 3.0TD

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 21:43
ThreadID: 5397 Views:2527 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Any thoughts on pros/cons of underbody s/steel water tanks, and suppliers in Bris? 40ltrs seems to be max available for GU 3.0TD - probably a bit less useable. Also, does anyone have experience with durability of Floatpac flexi tanks inside rear qtr panel for GU? lotsa kids, no space inside...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 21:53

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 21:53
Flexy Tanks get good wraps on Patrol list, nobody seems to have a problem

the stainless ones seem to be priced more than a new F40 Ferrari in my eyes
AnswerID: 22252

Reply By: relaxed (Fraser Coast-QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 22:36

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 22:36
Johnno.
I've got the gu also and had a bit of a squessy the other day at these quarter panels and there doesn't seem to be a lot of room in there, especially for water bladders. Mind you, I didn't remove the lining so I could be wrong. I would be interested to see what you come up with as I've been scratching my head also thinking where I could put water on board and that we had kids also and no space inside. I bought a 2kg fire extinguisher the other day for the 4by, just in case, but its a nightmare to think where to fit the damm thing without being in the road. I reckon these designers go to a lot of trouble to make it difficult for us to fit accessories.
The only thing I've come up with so far is to replace the sub tank with a 60-70 lt and make that the water tank and replace the main tank with a 160lt. Although thats an expensive exercise and I don't have the $$ for it at the moment.
Relaxed
AnswerID: 22259

Follow Up By: goingplatinumcomau - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 13:29

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 13:29
Hi All

I think the way to gois the Nobble water bladders at woolworths .....there is a box take them out ........and water being what it is adapts ........to where ever you want to put it they come in 5 and 10 liters + its excellent water.

goingplatinumcomau
FollowupID: 14665

Follow Up By: Prado Boy - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 20:38

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 20:38
Hi Relaxed,
I can't relate to the GU experience being a Prado owner - and also don't have kids so generally have more room than you guys. However I carry lots of gear for photography, camping etc.
I located my fire extinguisher on the gearbox wall in the front passenger area. There's loads of room there for the passenger, plus the fire extinguisher (mounted horizontally) comes in handy as a shelf for light items such as hand held UHF's, maps, GPS units etc. (though not all at once!).

Hope this helps

Prado Boy
FollowupID: 14680

Reply By: CLIVEB - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 15:43

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 15:43
I HAVE HAD 4 PATROLS INCLUDING THE CURRENT 3.0 LT MODEL.
ALL HAVE HAD ALUMINUIM WATER TANKS MADE AND INSTALLED SOMEWHERE.
EITHER UNDER OR INSIDE.
I HAVE NOW REMOVED THE TANK AND HAVE REVERTED TO PLASTIC JERRY CANS.
THE PROBLEM WITH TANKS WHEN OUTBACK TOURING IS THE CROSS CONTAMINATION OF DIFFERENT SUPPLIES.
THIS WAS A MAJOR PROBLEM ON OUR LAST TRIP TO ARNHEM LAND,WHERE THE TANK BECAME CONTAMINATED AND WE HAD NO OTHER CONTAINERS.
I NOW HAVE A SINGLE JERRY MOUNTED INSIDE THE REAR DOOR WITH A C/VAN HAND PUMP INSTALLED,THIS DOES FOR WEEKEND TRIPS.
A COUPLE MORE TAKEN WHEN REQUIRED.
REGARDS
AnswerID: 22309

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 18:04

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 18:04
We just drawers + 45ltr stainless water tank+ pirrana fridge slide fitted for $2100 by offroad systems at Narellan NSW & Graham Jones is a top bloke to deal with couldn't be more helpfull. Stainless tank by iteslf about $500 i think checkout their web site www.offroadsystems.com.au Regards Bob
3 Weeks till Gulf trip
AnswerID: 22316

Reply By: Member - Rick - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 21:29

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 21:29
Johnno
If you search the archives on this site you will find heaps of alternative ideas 7 experiences
C YaRick (S.A.) - ' It is better to travel hopefully than arrive'
AnswerID: 22337

Reply By: Craig - Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 18:27

Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 18:27
Johnno , I have a water bladder in the L/H rear quarter of My GU ,Alls Good
Just got to be careful filling and ensure you have a top quality tap.
regards
Craig
AnswerID: 22448

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 15:04

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 15:04
Johnno howd y go with a decision on the water ??
I don't have the kids problem these days so have lots of space. SS tanks cost a motza. Aluminium - don't know but probably still a motza. You need to contain and protect the Floatpac type but they seem good value comparatively. For the moment (we leave in 3 weeks) I might buy some extra 20L blue water bottles from Wollies, carry them empty until required then fill to what I need. You can take them out when you get back. I'll probably strap them together and sit them low for safety.

good luck PalCarpe Diem
AnswerID: 23479

Sponsored Links