Is everybody at the beach ?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 11:13
ThreadID: 53995 Views:2232 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We spent last 4 days at well known Big Billy campsite in victorias western deserts and there was nobody around.

We had several new things to test under desert conditions including new home made off road trailer, 3 new trail bikes, car configurations,general camping gear
and peoples temperament under heat and sticky flies.

Admittedly it averaged 35 over the long weekend as is summer, but for 4 days over a long weekend not a single vehicle other than those with us camped there.

We mapped out a 48km hard sand track loop circuit and did repeated loops working out fuel consumption, speed and load issues, various radio transmission options and rescue
strategies as preparation for a trail bike simpson crossing mid year.

We even found a new legal impossible hill.

In all that time we only came across 3 other cars and that wasn't till Sunday.

The only visitor was a local farmer from Murrayville who apparently maintains the Big Billy bore. He rode down on his trail bike just checking things out (like us) and amongst a number of interesting things we learnt he claimed that the water was the purest in the entire area and there was plenty to spare.

The campground was clean and a delight to stay at. We also dropped by the Broken Bucket campground to the south and it was in good condition and un-occupied when we passed thru.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 17:04

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 17:04
Not surprised the Big Desert is quiet in this heat particually with the Border Track option closed during the fire season. It certainly is a great area to practice sand driving or towing trailers relatively close to civilization before tackling the real deal. There are 3 challenging dunes in the area that are at times harder than those on the simpson.
It was very quiet up the High Country as well. Not complaining though. Few flies, no sicada's, empty campsites and top weather.
Cheers Craig.......
AnswerID: 284336

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 19:22

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 19:22
Interesting that HC was quiet to Craig. I have been wondering as to wether or not the peak has come off the rush to camping and bush things in last couple of years. More and more that I see seem to be into the image but not the real action.
Probably a good suject for a larger post perhaps.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 549114

Follow Up By: Crackles - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 22:25

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 22:25
Yes well it was apparently pretty quiet around Xmas / New years near Dargo as well. I would have thought the aftermath of the fires & flash flooding may have contributed to it but many said the sicada's & fllies were driving them so mad they packed up early.
NSW travellers have been on the increase the last few years but even there numbers seem to have levelled off. Maybe the cost of fuel is starting to kick in?
Cheers Craig.............
FollowupID: 549160

Sponsored Links