Camper Trailer purchase

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 16:09
ThreadID: 54002 Views:6256 Replies:3 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Does anyone have any feed back about 'Armadillo Camper trailers' in Bundaburg Qld. They seem to be well made & reasonably priced. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Cheers
Jason
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Matthew ,United Fuel- Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 23:55

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 23:55
Seems Not!!!!!!!
AnswerID: 284433

Follow Up By: jjt98 - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 07:38

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 07:38
Hi,
Did you have something to say?? Im not real good at cryptic words.
Cheers
Jason
FollowupID: 549205

Follow Up By: Member - Matthew ,United Fuel- Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 10:13

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 10:13
Cant see how "Seems Not" is hard to read but each to there own.

Good luck.

Matt
FollowupID: 549248

Follow Up By: jjt98 - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 10:50

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 10:50
Hi Matt,
Do you have any info on Armadillo campers? If so, are you able to give me your feed back. More than 2 words would be great. Im just trying to find the best value for my buck.
Cheers
Jason
FollowupID: 549255

Follow Up By: Member - Matthew ,United Fuel- Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 12:21

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 12:21
Just the basics as i had a look on the internet over the weekend at camper trailers and came across the brand you are talking about and it seems like it is on par with everything else in that price range.

MAtt
FollowupID: 549265

Reply By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 03:28

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 03:28
Yep .... I got me one for Xmas !!

Firstly, haven't yet used it in battle .... I'm in FNQ and the roads are ratspit for a coupla months yet .....

Set it up in the yard for a test run on Boxing Day and was very impressed with :

SIZE.... it is very big with the awning set up. With the awning and walls attached it will be humungous for space under cover.

SET-UP ...It is relatively easy to set up the first time, things seem to follow a logical process. Trick will be to remember how it 'came out' so that you can reverse that process effectively.

CANVAS .... The whole canvas top appears to be quite well made, albeit a relatively light grade canvas but all stitching appears OK and it all 'puffs up' asthetically well.

BED ..... Your actual bed area is huge ........ the mattress is just "acceptable" - I will be augmenting mine with my own self-inflatable [ mattress, that is !] and will eventually add an egg-carton foam underlay.

Base is nice and firm, with a good thickness of ply under .
HOWEVER, the steel box-section framing paint job is bloody awful .... the paint just flakes off it when fitting it to the trailer.
Petty, I know ... but to deal with it for repainting [which you shouldn't have to do anyway] requires the top to be removed from the trailer and then laid on it's side to get access to these areas . ..... this top weighs in at 150 kgs !!!
I haven't yet resolved this problem.

EXTERNAL TRAILER ACCESS .....You also need to put in some thought about your hingeing arrangements, if you are going to need to gain external access to the trailer contents other than via the tailgate.

Like, some deep thought .... as you need to work out where your hingeing will go whilst the top is loose on the trailer, then find an easy solution to the hole-drilling exercise ..... the tent needs to be erected to do this ... bugger of a job !
You'll see what I mean when the time comes.

NO gas-struts are supplied ..... so unless your missus has arms like Arnie, and bends easily to your will .... gas struts are a neccessity.
There is about 70 kgs of downward pressure from 45 degrees angle of the bed, [yep, I measured it!] I have the specifications if you want them.

AWNING set-up ....Awning wall is zip-fastened and is supplied in ONE PIECE ie: two ends and front wall all in one> Personally, I will be getting an upholsterer to make this into THREE SEPERATE pieces, zippered and velcro-flapped ...... much more user-friendly .

The awning roof is a really good part of the overall !! But it can be left off for overnight stops, if you wish. Simple matter to put on.

LASTLY, ALL THE SEAMS WILL LEAK !!!! Yep, that's right, ALL.
This is NORMAL with most new tents. Easily fixed, though ....

Fully set it up in your yard, minus the awning walls, and give it several soakings with your garden hose, on medium sprinkle, NOT JET. Do this several times and the hole that the cotton threads go through will eventually swell, the holes will shrink and all will tighten up.
I personally also have 'beeswaxed' each and every seam on mine, on account I hate DRIPS in a tent.

BAD POINTS:
The Assembly Instruction Sheet would be more appropriately used astoilet paper. My Beagle could draft a better set!!

No mention of pole fitting details on the above .... some are tricky.

Bedbase frame painting is P-poor! Wasn't primed or undercoated!

Tube ladder is murder on bare feet .... sell it to some-one and get a K-Mart kitchen folding 2Step !!

Personally believe that Gas Struts should be part of the whole.

GOOD POINTS :
Heaps of room, both in main tent and with the awning,

Quality appears reasonable, bearing in mind that we didn't pay $4000 - $5000 for it, like some.

Really great ventilation and cooling with the large window screen openings.

Ideal for stays of a few days or longer ..... I would recommend a largish silver tarp as a fly to give greater cooling/shade/protection ... and all that jazz.

GOOD points beat BAD points, though.

Overall, I am quite impressed with this unit and can't wait to give it a try-out in the field.

Also, my general use will be on goldfields/beaches/ etc up here in generally sunny FNQ. And, mostly it's just me and the Beagle.

Dependent on where you are going and how many 'residents' etc .... your needs may be different.

Anyway, hope this helps..........
AnswerID: 284445

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 03:35

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 03:35
OOOOOOPPPS !

"and the hole that the cotton threads go through will eventually swell, the holes will shrink and "

Of course, thats should read "the threads will SWELL and the holes will SHRINK !!"
FollowupID: 549195

Follow Up By: jjt98 - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 07:40

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 07:40
Thanks for that. from what you have written, it sounds like you have just purchased the tent & have your own trailer.
FollowupID: 549207

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 11:01

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 11:01
Yep .... correct !

Assumed that you were doing the same ... just re-read your post!

FollowupID: 549258

Reply By: Jim from Best Off Road - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 07:58

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 07:58
Jason,

Whatever Camper you end up with please take this advice from someone who builds them for a living.

Never put any sealant of any nature on the seams. Canvas takes time to "weather". That is the process of getting wet, swelling and then shrinking. Hosing it down won't do it. It needs to sit, set up in your yard, and get at least 5 thorough soakings in good rain, thoroughly drying out after each soaking.

It will eventually seal and be totally waterproof and never need any further attention.

Jim.

AnswerID: 284457

Follow Up By: jjt98 - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 08:11

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 08:11
Thanks for the advise Jim :-)
FollowupID: 549219

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:23

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:23
JIm, "5 thorough soakings in good rain"? .... You wish, this is Australia in drought.

One of my best friends has a tent, camper trailer & canvas manufacturing business, he has just reassured me that hosing is fine, water is water, in fact he said, if you had a good enough stream ie: no prostate problems, you could "do it yourself"!
FollowupID: 549242

Follow Up By: Jim from Best Off Road - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:33

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:33
No question, hosing will help, but just doesn't give it the thorough soaking it needs. If you were able to put a sprinkler on it and let it run for about three hours it would have the same effect as rain.

However, with current water restrictions we can't do that.

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest it has to be rain water.

Jim.

FollowupID: 549244

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 10:57

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 10:57
Hi Jim ....

Read your comments with interest and agree regarding the 'thorough soaking.'

RE : "I personally also have 'beeswaxed' each and every seam on mine, on account I hate DRIPS in a tent."

Actually set mine up in the yard and it rained heavily off and on for the next week or so, before it was dry enough to put away ! Thusly, it did receive a very thorough soaking and drying cycle .... the seepage certainly reduced, but I had applied the waxing after the first couple of drying out periods.

Will accept your experitise here ...... was given the above advice years ago and their seamed [excuse ?] to be logic in it ??

What would be the problem there .... surely it would add or enhance the sealing of the seams ??

Thanks Pedro

"When the student is ready .... the teacher will appear ! "
FollowupID: 549257

Sponsored Links