what size batterys/solar panel do i need ?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 17:18
ThreadID: 54043 Views:4962 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
g'day please help .
I want to run 3 battery's . 1 for starting only ,
1 as auxiliary in vehicle & 1 in camper trailer .
i will be running a 29 litre engel in the cab & a 32 litre engel in the camper as well as a couple of led lights 2 x 12 volt fans & also running a inverter for the laptop .
what size (amp hr) agm batterys do i need ,do they both have to be the same size & what size (watts) solar panel do i need to keep things running . i was planning to link them via an anderson plug .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 17:46

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 17:46
Phew!, what size? How long is a piece of string?

The bigger the battery capacity, the longer you can draw on it before needing a recharge.

One of the biggest problems is the "footprint" size of the battery that will fit in a second cradle, mounted in the engine bay.
Unless you have "heaps" of room, I would suggest an 80Ah deep cycle battery in AGM construction would be about the limit. This would be suitable for for the 29 litre Engel and should get you at least a couple of nights running before recharging the auxiliary battery via the vehicles alternator. An AGM battery, although more expensive to purchase, will charge quicker and more fully than a conventional "wet cell" battery. To control this dual battery system, you will need a dual battery controller which will give priority to charging the starting battery, then once it has reached a certain capacity of charge, the controller will swap over to the auxiliary battery. This will happen within a couple of minutes if the starting battery is in sound condition. The Dual Battery Controller, providing it is a "smart" one, will also keep the starting and auxiliary batteries electrically isolated from each other.

Now for the camper battery. The best way to charge this one is via an Arrid twin charge controller which limits the need for heavy duty cable all the way through the vehicle and on to the camper via Anderson connectors. The twin charge controller takes a lower input voltage and boosts it as output to the camper battery therefore restricting any impact from voltage drop.

Mate there are other options, some cheaper perhaps, but the above configuration is the most common for multiple battery charging as you have defined and will give you trouble free operation.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 284550

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 17:51

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 17:51
I will add the following tip.

Buy yourself a couple of $30 Projecta low voltage cutout devices, if the fridges don't have inbuilt protection. These connect between the battery output and the fridge input.

This will switch off the fridge if the battery charge falls below about 30% (11.6 volts) about as low as you should go for prolonged battery life.

I learnt the hard way, buggering two batteries before I "saw the light"

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 549323

Follow Up By: Brad40 - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:26

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:26
thanks sandman some good tips there . see follow up to dereck at ABR cheers mate

brad
FollowupID: 549373

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 19:14

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 19:14
Brad

What do you drive ?

Have you got any of the mentioned items already ?

Regards

Derek.
AnswerID: 284562

Follow Up By: Brad40 - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:24

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:24
g'day dereck,

99 courier x cab turbo diesel ,( yes, i can here you saying no room under there ) .I may have to fit in rear seat area.
i have the fridges,& led lights and a 75amp hr n70z wet cell from a previous 4wd ,but dont mind buying a new agm .
after reading the thread re: solar panels , i think i should rephrase the question . here goes..........
how much power will the 2 fridges use (maximum) in a 24hr period , im thinking around 60amp hrs , with two fans running at sleepytime another 20 amp hrs and the lights after dark 5amp hours plus the odd dvd on the laptop ?
so thats around 85--100 amp hrs /24hrs .
if i have 2 x 100amp hr batterys in parralel is it ok to discharge them to 50% daily ? and what wattage solar panels will i need to charge these back up to full capacity each day ?, assuming the sun will be sunny . cheers , ..... i need i drink.
FollowupID: 549369

Follow Up By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:50

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:50
Hi Brad

Yes you can fit a 10 inch battery under the bonnet but only 60 a/h. The FLYER in the back would give you 120 a/h instead.

If you run 2x 120 a/h batteries and you use around 80 a/h per day you would need around 100W of solar to stay for around 5 days in one spot without driving the car.

I can work out more options but would need to know what batteries you decide on and how long you stay in one place.

Regards

Derek.
FollowupID: 549386

Follow Up By: Brad40 - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 00:31

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 00:31
G'day dereck ,

thanks for your advice its much appreciated . i will be sending you an enquiry with what i think i want ( see follow up to sandman this thread )

regards brad
FollowupID: 549628

Reply By: RovingOz (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:02

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:02
Try and get the biggest AGM batteries you can fit and afford. 100-120 amphr - Fullrivers or Lifeline are good brands. around $300
If you're camped without driving for a week you'll need at least 2 x 90-120watt panels. There huge so a lot mount permanently on the roof rack.

To give you some perspective we have 3 x 120amp AGM's and 3 x 120watt panels and we still come up short and we're economial with our usage.
John
AnswerID: 284571

Follow Up By: Brad40 - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:30

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:30
yeah ,ok now im getting the picture, thanks john.
you may want to read the follow up to dereck at ABR
FollowupID: 549376

Reply By: Mainey (wa) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 23:25

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 23:25
Brad
You post-> ""i have the 2 fridges, & led lights and a 75amp hr n70z wet cell from a previous 4wd, but dont mind buying a new agm .
after reading the thread re: solar panels , i think i should rephrase the question, here goes, how much power will the 2 fridges use (MAXIMUM) in a 24 hr period ?

Buy 2 x new AGM's - give the wetcell to a family member lol

-> {Assumption: the fridge draws 2.5ah} 2 x 2.5ah each = 5ah x 24 hours = 120 Amps per 24 Hour day.
-> the lights after dark 5 Amps

two fans running at sleepytime another 20ah -> at least ???
the odd dvd on the laptop ->???

if i have 2 x 100ah batterys in parralel is it ok to discharge them to 50% daily and what wattage solar panels will i need to charge these back up to full capacity each day
-> when we know the Amps used we can answer the question, unless you will accept a realistic guess.

As MOST of you power consumption is used at night and no solar power supplied during that time you have to be sure of the numbers relevant to the "fans" and "dvd on the laptop"

You will need at least a 85 Watt panel to replace the 5 Amps the 2 x fridge's will use during the day and maintain the voltage left in the battery at dawn.
Depending on the *QUALITY* of the AGM batteries, you will probably have close to 12.5 Volts in the battery at dawn, (My agm system is 12.8v each morning, running only 1 x 2.8ah F/F & lights etc) however a cheaper battery system will be lesser voltage.

If you have 2 x 100ah agm's you should have no major problem with power consumption, UNLESS the fan or dvd uses excessive power.
Solar panels should be able to replace whatever is used by fan and computer on inverter, my guess would be 2 x 100 or 2 x 120 Watt *quality* panels will suffice.

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 284630

Follow Up By: Brad40 - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 00:23

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 00:23
G'day Mainey,

after hours of surfin the net & the advice given on this site ,
i have decided on the following ......

2 x 120 agm batts , lots of recommendations on fullrivers so they might be the go , need to do some price comparisons first .

2 80w sharp panels , good price on ebay , combined will provide 9.2 amps /hr max (according to website )

i have decided to run the fridges on 150w inverters as they have a 11.5 volt low battery alarm plus a shut off at 10.5 v . there $59 from dick smith & i can use them for the phone, cameras & laptop chargers when needed .

I will just have to wait & see if this works for me .
thanks for your advice much appreicated .

Brad
FollowupID: 549627

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 00:49

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 00:49
brad,
I can **** you the Fullrivers...
I won't !! Get a quality AGM battery!!

Are these the Panel specs ?
80 Watt Maximum Power
21.3 Volt Open Circuit Voltage
17.1 Volt Maximum Power Voltage
5.30 Amp Short Circuit Current
4.67 Amp Maximum Power Current
14.11 % Encapsulated Solar Cell Efficiency
600 Volt DC Maximum System Voltage

As to the Inverter :-(
Will 150 watt run BOTH fridges ?
Don't worry about the alarm, you have to be there to do something about it.

I'm not telling you what to buy, just give you something to evaluate
Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 549631

Follow Up By: Brad40 - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 11:09

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 11:09
G'day Mainey

what batts do you recommend ?

yes those specs are correct

already have 1 inverter for laptop & charging duties
FollowupID: 549686

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 17:32

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 17:32
Brad,
as is pictured (below) I use "FirstPower AGM Deep Cycle" storage batteries.

NO, I don't sell them, but I'm prepared to pay their price because they are far more efficient than 'any' battery I have used or installed.

They don't look 'nice' or 'pretty' either, but they are a quality built battery.

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 549747

Sponsored Links