Tread Id 53953 RE 3lt nissan

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 17:51
ThreadID: 54045 Views:2263 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Yesterday I decided to ring Nissan Aust to ask about this problem.Told them I wasn't making a claim but just wanted to know if the problem with the early 3lts burning holes in pistons had been rectified and how as I was getting ready to go on a trip in the outback.Now wait for the answer I quote"If you don't have a problem we don't have a problem but if you have a problem we would investigate if you had a problem" not much help if your in the middle of the Simpson.Then I rang a Nissan Dealer south of Brisbane where the tech service said that he had only heard of 2 and that was from people playing with the boost.
All sounds like something out of MONTY PYTHON
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 18:01

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 18:01
Surprised that a dealer had admitted that he even heard of two!!!
Going by past postings its a case of "Jeez thats the first we have heard of that, you're the first with that problem we have seen"

Not Monty Python, just bull$hit from Nissan and its dealers.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 284553

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 23:32

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 23:32
yea its all make believe.. never happened.

Buying filters at local nissan dealer, the bloke called out from round corner in parts area, what model GU is it, I yelled, not the grenade... The bloke nearly passed out laughing!

These stickers are now available too :)

FollowupID: 549405

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 23:33

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 23:33
http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=131717

check this bloke.

I am one of the many who have had the 3 litre (2004 auto ex NSW police) vehicle fail, spent money, and had it fail again,... finally decided it is time to move on... I have been looking at a possible v8 conversion .

One of the reasons is the wreckers want $6000+ for 3L motors with more k's than the one I blew at 127000 k
FollowupID: 549406

Reply By: Dave Thomson - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 18:17

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 18:17
I guess I mustv'e been the other one cause he told me to keep running it till it blew, then he'd have a look at it, this was pullin' a van across the Nullabor LOL.............
AnswerID: 284556

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 19:44

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 19:44
Hi Dave,
Hope they managed to rescue you ok! But the stuffing around and inconvenience is not compensated for.
I had 5th gear in my GU cr@p itself on the Nullarbor, about 300km out from Norseman. Had to use VKS737 to call Nissan. Was able to drive it into Norseman ok in 4th on their advice. But the nearest Nissan dealers were in either Kalgoorlie or Esperance, and each would have taken a week to fix the problem. Now Nissan's 24-hour assist covers one for emergency accommodation, but only for about 2 nights, so I would have been well and truly out of pocket if I'd stayed sitting on my @rse in Kal or Esp for the next week. Managed to talk Nissan into me driving the vehicle thru to home in Perth, where I got it fixed.
cheers,
Gerry
FollowupID: 549347

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:23

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:23
have heard the early 3lt had the prob....not much you can do from the sounds of it until she blows....but the ones ive heard of blowing were towing mighty huge caravans.....plenty of posts on these....

Laura
AnswerID: 284574

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:09

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:09
seen many, and up to end of 2004 models, they were still doing it, and head gaskets are now the big problem with them, lots doing head gaskets as well now from that era up to end of 05 even.
AnswerID: 284594

Reply By: Member - AJB (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:11

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:11
We all know that there have been more than two. Nissan are a funny organisation to deal with when it comes to engine malfunction or any of the other common faults on GU 3-0's. I will give them credit in my case when they covered the air flow sensor (twice), gearbox (5th Gear), intercooler, ECU unit and I think a few other items. They did not cover the repair cost to the self destructed engine but I did get a "reasonable" repair bill. I have also spoken to Nissan service centres and they have replaced or rebuilt a few. I have an interesting recorded conversation with Nissan Aust about the problems but I have been advised I cannot use it as I did not tell the consultant that I was recording it!

My vehicle did/does tow a bit but I would hardly call an Expanda or a tinny or a 7x4 trailer or even my 10x5 trailer "mighty huge". These are well within the towing spec's of the vehicle. The old 2.8 Rodeo managed these easily and never a problem!

My advise to an owner whose GU has a major malfunction in a remote area would be "Burn it".

Anyway we can bang our heads against the wall when it comes to Nissan and these vehicles or we can just laugh, advise others to stay clear of their products, and worry about more important things in life like what will we do on the next school holidays.
AnswerID: 284596

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 23:37

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 23:37
Andrew has a list of people just from the main 3 4wd forums of over 80 now.. so Nissan dealer man is fibbing.
AnswerID: 284632

Sponsored Links