The Sandover N.T

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 07:48
ThreadID: 54063 Views:1829 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
We are looking at running the Sandover from Isa to Alice. HAs anyone entered the Sandover from the Isa end or is it out of the way - as opposed to picking it up from Urandangi (which seems a long way round).
Cheers
Jason
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:42

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:42
I have done some of the roads in that area but not that one that joins the Camooweal-Urandangi Road from the Barkly Hwy. Its pretty flat country out there and the roads are reasonable even if they don't get graded that often. Via Urandangi(not a very exciting place) from the Isa, is a long way around.

Make sure that you have sufficient fuel from Mt Isa to Alice Springs as the fuel outlets along the way are unreliable. Alpara Store sells fuel as does Urapantja but when we passed through there last year both were closed. We didn't need fuel however.

If the Sandover has been graded recently you will be in luck. If not then 80kmh is about the top speed you can maintain. Its a looooong drive through the Mulga...:-)

There is a nice camp site at the Georgina River crossing near Lake Nash.

Cheers
AnswerID: 284683

Follow Up By: Member - jjt98 (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 11:07

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 11:07
Thanks Willem,

Have been as far as Alpara from the south. Thanks for the tip on the camp site.
Cheers
Jason
FollowupID: 549448

Reply By: AdlelaideGeorge - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 13:44

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 13:44
I drove the Sandover (Route 14) from the Alice to Cammoweal last year. I remeber the intersection at which you turn north up to Camooweal and south to the Isa (I think).

The whole trip from the southern turn off of the Plenty Hwy to the intersection I referred to took 2 days. We also meandered a few kms up the river Georgina River referred to here and it was stunning-we didn't have time to camp there unfortuneately.

It was a very very isolated drive from the Georgina to the intersection-driving a 'cart track' that had been torn to pieces by heavy cattle trucks. I don't know if it's ever graded but you'd need to drive that section while it was in good condition I would think.
The road right up to that flat country from Route 87 was very good but, again, I think we were just behind a grader.

Happy days

George
AnswerID: 285522

Follow Up By: Member - jjt98 (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 07:00

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 07:00
Thanks for the feed back George. I hadn't looked at entering from cammoweal, looks like a better track than from Isa.
Cheers
Jason
FollowupID: 550702

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 07:41

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 07:41
If you go the Camooweal way call in to the Camooweal Caves NP, it's quite interesting and the camp ground looked good. We travelled from Urandangi up to Headingly Station then on to Camooweal a few years ago and the track was ok but slow.

Viv
FollowupID: 550710

Follow Up By: Member - jjt98 (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 18:05

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 18:05
Thanks Viv,
We have a couple of months to decide which way to go.
Cheers
Jason
FollowupID: 550796

Sponsored Links