Worst bog situation you have been in.?

Submitted: Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 20:47
ThreadID: 54127 Views:3650 Replies:13 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
Can remember years ago, when doing a delivery of top soil to a client, who warned us of certain wet areas along his access rd to his house. Got to the front gate, and thought this looks ok, and proceeded in; went twenty metres next minute the bank on the lower side gave way and over we went!, Thinking " oh chit "why did i not listen and hug the top side like i was told. 4hrs later with a shovel cursing, &sweating, the soil was removed from the tipper, and at great expense!. the truck was towed out..Whats that old saying? " look before you leap', listening helps a bit to sometimes....lol.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Axle - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 20:49

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 20:49
cheers Axle....lol
AnswerID: 284991

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy (springsure- Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 20:55

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 20:55
Never got pics of my worst one.
I'll just say HJ75 6 inch lift up to the doors, broke 3 snatch straps and a tow truck cable 8 hours later i got out.

The most recent 2 weeks ago (my rig pics) broke 1 snatch strap and snapped my winch cable. 2 other cars together couldn't move me. Backhoe and hilux together couldn't move me.
I tied a length of nylon rope to the broken winch cable and carefully wrapped it back onthe drum until the steel cable was on about 15 turns and eventually got myself out using the backhoe as a tree at 2am.

Regards
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 284993

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:00

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:00
Thats nice looking soup you were in there Dave!, Bet you just loved getting in & out, hahaha.!

cheers.
FollowupID: 549785

Follow Up By: Member - Tour Boy (springsure- Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:14

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:14
Yeah and had an inch of rain whilst I was stuck. I had to wash the lambwool seat cover the next morning, not to mention the backhoe as it got bogged 4 times itself in the process. At least in it I could dig myself out and try to drive at the same time lucky it was a 4wd.

Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2015 Fortuner

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 549793

Follow Up By: dave_c - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 22:10

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 22:10
Hey Tour Boy,
Backhoes dont get bogged. Not with a good operator anyway.
FollowupID: 549812

Follow Up By: Member - Tour Boy (springsure- Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 10:04

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 10:04
Yeah I know, but the bloke that brought it to me is a grader operator so i had to keep unbogging it for him.
After 380mm of rain in 5 days this black soil country will swallow anything.

Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2015 Fortuner

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 549875

Reply By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:03

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:03
I will alert my wife to this thread and she can tell you her experience,
as she just spent 4 hours bogged, I was in Darwin.

ROTFLMAO.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 284996

Follow Up By: Member - Tour Boy (springsure- Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:09

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:09
Steve have you ever been bogged with pax in the vehicle?.
I nearly did but realised that something wasn't right and ended up spending 10 mins in the not yet too deep mud fixing a broken freewheeling hub with them looking on. At least they were excited to have more adventure.

Regards
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2015 Fortuner

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 549790

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:42

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:42
Yeah I got stuck once in an 80 series, It took 4 hours a Landcruiser and a front end loader to pull us out, we were on the belly of the cruiser and the suction was pretty good, the punters loved it.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 549804

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 22:38

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 22:38
Jaaaaajaaaaajaaaa...
...thanks, Steve!

After 23 years of holding a driver's licence and 8 years of 4WDriving I thought today was as good a day as ever to get bogged for the very first time. And when I do things I tend to do them properly...

I was actually not on tour, I was just out and about with my best friendand her Aunty, collecting some Kurrajong and yellow colour for use in traditional Aboriginal string bags.

On the way back to my friends place I circumnavigated a washout and just slooooooowly slid into the silt on the side...and that was it! That's where I spent 4 1/2 hours this afternoon, until my rescue team (hubby and son) turned up with the snatch strap.
Doesn't look that bad -- but I wasn't going anywhere.

Steve was coming back from Darwin, son had to be picked up from school by a friend...
...THANK GOD Telstra's 3G worked out ion the middle of nowhere...

FollowupID: 549822

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 22:55

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 22:55
But it was all his fault!!, hahahaha at least you had someone to blame..lol Next G actually worked?? Maybe its improving hope so.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 549826

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 12:02

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 12:02
Typical Territory 4by....NO SPARE!!!!

Ya lent it to ya cuz, eh?

LOL

Cheers
FollowupID: 549893

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 12:25

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 12:25
Willem my friend.

The spare is under the car, the spare tyre rack on the back was put there so as I can put my ladder on when there is a roof rack on.

That spare rack wouldn't hold a spare as it is not reinforced behind it.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 549899

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:14

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:14
Axle,

I will only admit to getting bogged when there are photos to prove it.

This does not look much, but with the back dug in and no other vehicle in front it was a winch recovery. This was in the Vic High Country late last year.

Wayne
AnswerID: 284998

Follow Up By: Member - Tour Boy (springsure- Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:21

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:21
Wayne, looks like you had better visit your old shop and get some lockers for it..LOL

Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2015 Fortuner

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 549796

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:25

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:25
Thats what you call a" soft spot", eh!. Or nuisance spot..lol

Cheers.
FollowupID: 549797

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:42

Dave,

It is on the to do list. TJM lockers front and rear.

This is what happens when you don't read the track all the time. It did not look much when I went in to it but being in the wrong gear and going a bit slow the Troopie came to a undignified halt.

Did not want to be snatched out backwards, so a winch forward was the way to go. After the Troopie was winched out, the bog hole was filled with rocks and the other vehicles guided through the bog while staying on the track. I was back there a few weeks later and the bog was dry.

Wayne
FollowupID: 549801

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:36

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:36
This doesn't really count (it wasn't me) but others might want to have a look at this semi that is ..well. . . . . stuck
AnswerID: 285008

Follow Up By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:42

Sorry if the hyperliknk doesn't work, I can't get it to work either

this is the website:
http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newphotos/truck/truck148.shtml
FollowupID: 549802

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 22:53

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 22:53
didja mean
this one ??

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 549825

Reply By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 22:24

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 22:24
Axle

I spent a couple of years working in Tassie. Can't remember rightly, but I think they called it Black Bog. Went down to the floor pan once in the high country.

Plenty of laughter from the local fishermen after I went through the gate an got bogged.

Gave them a fair mouth full, and eventually found a fella to pull the car out. Bastard laughed all the way through it, until I threatened to shoot him.

That night we all got together at a BBQ on the edge of the lake and proceeded to get as drunk as..... We were a damn sorry sight the next morning!

If you really want to get bogged, go to Tassie.

LOL

Regards

Kim

AnswerID: 285018

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 22:46

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 22:46
HAHAHA!, Think i"ll stay away from that mate, get into enought strife in my own back yard...lol.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 549824

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 22:41

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 22:41
Went down for an hours fun before a bbq lunch one Sunday at Holdsworthy army barracks in Sydney, 4 hrs later and 2 cartons poorer, the boys from the barracks extracated me in my pathfinder from a 6-12 inch deep sweet as pie looking stream. Problem was, the boys used to go and get their unimogs (or whatever those big 12 tonne looking things are) bogged in that same stream for recovery practice. The sweet as pie sand base was softer than quicksand and the pathy was in up to the rear tailights and no rear wheels showing at all (completely buried in the sand). Mates Pajero and a snatch strap had no chance of even budging me let alone pulling me out.

Suffice to say, BBQ was postponed and I was in deeper than the preverbial with the mrs who was waiting at home with raw snags for the chef (me) to cook.

Trevor.
AnswerID: 285026

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 23:18

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 23:18
I bet that was one BBQ you haven't forgotten!..:))))))

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 549833

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 22:49

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 22:49
Back in the bad old days when it used to rain (the 80's) our work crew bogged a 22 tonne crane borer to the tray in a blokes driveway, so deep in fact the driver couldn't open his door. 5 apprentices digging for 2 days positioning aircraft landing strips with a 20 tonne PTO winch dragging it 100m through granitic sand soup!!
The property owner saying after you should have come in the other way. Well thanks for the warning! :-))
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 285029

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 23:26

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 23:26
Thats what you called being bogged!, About ten years ago a earthmover doing a sewer contract here locally, bogged a 30t excavator, only the exhaust was showing!!!, The easiest solution for them was to add more dirt..lol, they buried the thiing, As far as everyone knows its still there! ( bloody Irish contractors),, lol.

Cheers Axle
FollowupID: 549835

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 23:48

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 23:48
I remember in Darwin in the eighties a Crane getting bogged in a drive way.

This time the property owner said if it rains tonight don't come through the gate untill the concrete trucks have been through.

It seems the message never go through, as he did drive through ran off the road and got bogged, 10 minutes later 5 5 meter concrete trucks arrived, some time latter with no end in sight of removing the crane, the concrete trucks were told to go dump their loads.

I believe the crane mob got the bill for the concrete.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 549840

Reply By: equinox - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 00:50

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 00:50
Heres some photos of my worst bog.

Mid-Nineties trying to get around Lake Goongarrie the quick way.

I was a young fella then and was very embaressed to have to call for help.

Life is full of experiences - that was one of them :))

Cheers

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 285054

Reply By: Dunedigger - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 07:33

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 07:33
I once bogged a bulldozer almost up to the top of the tracks. Just left it there for a month.

Came back a month later. Had a job getting it out it was almost set in cement. It would have taken days to get it out of the mess it was in while it was wet
AnswerID: 285061

Reply By: happytravelers - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 08:12

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 08:12
Here's an unusual one, back in the early eightes I was working for an agricultural contractor harvesting maize (corn) in Canada. I managed to get the harvester stuck in the basement of a house !! The house had been demolished but the brick basement below ground had been left and just filled in with soil which became a bog as water couldn't escape. It required a back hoe to dig down and demolish the basement wall before my harvester could be winched out. Lots of fun !!!

Jon
AnswerID: 285063

Follow Up By: Nick R (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 22:28

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 22:28
got 2 in a similar vein.....

Heard about a silage wagon that was bogged near here, they couldn't get it out so got a dower, the tractor and wagon came out but apparently the axles and wheels were left behind??? I didn't believe it either....

we bogged a tractor and feed cart years ago, actually, did it many times... 1 time took 85hp Deutz, 130 and 105 hp John Deeres, 170 hp case and 170hp commercial front end loader to get moving again, 660hp total, it was a sight.....

Nick
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 550337

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 12:23

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 12:23
(excerpt from my website story BOGGED)

Kevin called me up and said, “ Why don’t you come along?”
The Toyota Club were going camping at Depot Creek Falls on the Saturday night. I had been in there on other occasions and knew the area and Kevin was glad to have us along.

Depot Creek crosses the Stuart Highway a few kilometres south of the Hayes Creek Pub. It is a wet-season creek, which runs into the Douglas River. On its way it tumbles over a series of rapids and over a long flat rock. At the height of its flood one can sit on the rock and slide down it for about 10 metres before dropping down into a large pool. In the dry season there is only a trickle of water seeping out from beneath the rocks.

When we got to the turn off a wall of 2 metre high spear grass was there to meet us. Kevin was the trip leader for the day and was about to set off in the wrong direction when I chipped in over the radio that it would be prudent to go another way. Kevin, in front of all his club members suddenly appointed me trip leader and I did not even belong to the club!

This time around we had a Toyota Bundera. It was quite versatile in the bush with a limited slip differential. I had a PTO winch fitted as well. It was however, the top of the range model, dressed in silver duco with green flashings, chrome bulbar and a sunroof and it was soon to get some scatched duco.

We set off pushing the tall grass down and driving blind, following the contour lines, my compass bearing and a bit of intuition. Fallen trees, old logs and hidden rocks blocked our way from time to time. I headed in the general direction of the falls. Another member of the convoy was into Bush Orienteering, and volunteered to run ahead looking for the best track to take. This helped. At one stage a side mirror was knocked off its perch on the door of our vehicle and Judith got quite annoyed with me as we had only recently purchased the yota.

Slowly but surely we inched our way along the ridge and then dropping down the valley towards the falls. There did not seem to be an ideal shady camping place and Kevin and I drove on a bit further amongst the paperbarks. We instructed everyone to wait, albeit in the sun.

Very soon both our vehicles had sunk in the soft mud and were resting on the chassis rails. Another club member had followed us in and had become bogged as well. He found a tree to anchor off but then his winch short-circuited and burnt out. Profanities streamed over the airwaves as this bloke blamed me for his predicament. Kevin managed to extricate himself and then pulled the other vehicle out and they promptly drove off, leaving us on to fend for ourselves.

I ran the winch cable out to a young tree but it soon let go and toppled over. Then I tried another, and another, and another. I saw this sizeable tree, which was within reach and wrapped the tree protector around it and started winching. It looked like we were on a winner this time. Meanwhile I had trampled the mud around the vehicle into mush. It was oozing over the side steps and ever time one opened the door, the mud was pushed aside. The winch cable was creaking from the strain. All of a sudden I saw this large tree come toppling over towards us. For a brief moment I thought that it was going fall on our truck but it fell to the side only metres away. Some of the branches however came down resting on the engine hood. Judith grabbed the floor mats and put them under the scratching tree limbs. We had to think of another strategy as we could now only winch to our left unless we chainsawed the fallen tree. I found another large tree within the cable reach but at right angles to the truck. Once we had the cable and snatch block attached we slowly winched the truck around and after almost two hours we were back on firm ground.

The club had set up camp and the blokes were having a few beers when Judith sailed into them and told them what a bunch of cowards they were by not coming to help us. We set up camp away from the club, as it was the only place left. That night the campfire was quiet and in the morning the club members packed up and left without so much as to say goodbye. Bastards!

We spent the day by a small wet season waterfall and while Judith painted I scraped the mud out from under the truck and did some other minor repair jobs. Later in the day the wind changed and I heard vehicles struggling under load. I put my boots on and went for a walk. I found the club about one kilometre from our campsite, trying to winch up this hill. They had taken a wrong line and were winching the vehicles at an angle up a hill. In four hours they had progressed one and a half kilometres. I laughed, told them they were nuts and went back to camp.

The following morning we packed up and drove out of the valley. At the top I noticed wheel tracks heading east and knowing that this would leads to a swampy area, I made new tracks along a ridge and within half an hour we were back at the Stuart Highway.

The club had made the tracks to the east and had ventured in to the swamp. It was Tuesday before they arrived back in Darwin!

Cheers
AnswerID: 285101

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 23:09

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 23:09
Jeezus Christ Willem!!!!, Why did i not see a book at the local book shop, which swmbo navigates every day, in regard to your fun and games!!!!..

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 550051

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 23:44

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 23:44
My best effort wasn't really a bogging in the true sense of the word. It happened back in the winter of 2002 when I lived in Yass, NSW. Pud and Barb had their 3L Patrol, I had my then 4.2L Patrol and a mate of Pud's (Lance) had a 2.7L petrol Prado. Pud and I both had 9000lb winches.

We headed into the Brindabellas to go and find McIntyre's Hut. Lance said he knew the way and he was leading. There was snow on the side of the track and it was overcast, miserable and sleeting on and off.

We got to the top of the hill that led down to the hut. Pud and I commented over the radio that this was a bloody steep hill and we hoped we didn't have to come back up this way with the shaley rocks being wet, there would be little traction available.

Once we got there, we had a quick lunch and then it started to rain a bit more constantly. We decided to get back up the hill asap. Pud found another track going back up, but it was only about 50 meters to the left of the one we'd gone down. He siad he'd try getting up it, but half way he radioed to say he had no traction and was gunna start winching. I said I'd give the track we went down on a try.....same result.

We both winched our respective Patrols up to the point on the track where we came back together again. It required 2 lots of winching for each of us (ie: winched up to a certain point/tree, then find another tree further up and have a 2nd go).

Once we were there, we had the problem of Lance, with no winch. We told him to drive up the same track Pud took until he lost traction. Pud and I both turned our Patrols around 180 degrees. At that point, I tied my rear-end off to a tree with my drag chain and attached my winch cable to the back of Pud's Patrol. He drove back down the hill towards Lance with my winch free-spooling until I was down to the first winding level. He got out and chocked his wheels and dragged his winch rope down to Lance's car. He then proceeded to winch Lance up to the front of his own bullbar and chocked Lances wheels. He placed his winch into free-spool.

I then winch Pud's Patrol back up to the front of my Patrol and we again chocked Pud's wheels so he could again winch Lance up to the safe level that we had gotten ourselves up to.

2 hours later and we had managed to get back on the way home......cold, wet and miserable.....but all the wiser for the experience.

Moral of the story: Don't ever follow a Prado driver!!!! hahaha
AnswerID: 285234

Sponsored Links