Fixing rear window protection

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 17:22
ThreadID: 54152 Views:5568 Replies:16 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I have been thinking of fixing some perspex to my back windo to stop getting stone deflection from my camper - already done one back window.

I had the idea of fixing it there with a number of suction caps but can't find any I reckon would be strong enough or handle the heat.

I have made enquiries at Obies but they do not have one to fit my vehicle (Pajero NS).

I do have a stone guard on the camper but still picked up a stone.

Has any one done what I want to do and if so know where to get the suction caps.

The ones at CLarke rubber I saw did not look strong enough.

Many thanks

Oldman
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Oldman - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 17:26

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 17:26
Just thinking - perhapsExploroz could produce then with their logos and adverstising on them :)
AnswerID: 285157

Follow Up By: christopher john woo - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 05:47

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 05:47
Hi ;My attempts with current Prado have not been great; the rear window is a complex shape so wont comply with flexible sheet clear plastic. Velcro adhered to glass tended to lift due to moisture and heat

I do like to watch my K/Kamper under tow to check on "horazontalness" because you cant always feel a blown tyre,So visibilityand rear window washing is important.My next attempt will be a towbar mounted sweeper or aluminium framed metal flywire gauze mounted on high suction cups with buldog clips on door edges holding horazontal tensioner wires
Ironbark
FollowupID: 552237

Reply By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 17:37

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 17:37
I attached the perspex with silver tape(stops the dust getting in between window & perspex). Worked well on my last trip to Corner Country last July.
Regards.
Vince
AnswerID: 285158

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 18:23

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 18:23
I have two clear plastic sheets(scavenged) cut to size to cover the whole top section of the rear doors. I attach them with small bulldog clips. When fitted I remove the inner handle of the bulldog clip and fold the outer one down on to the plastic

It works and costs little

Cheers
AnswerID: 285169

Reply By: Hoyks - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 18:31

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 18:31
Have you looked at self-adheasive velcro? You can get packets of 20mm dots from BigW and Clark rubber for a few bucks.

Cut some perspex to size and stick it onto the glass with the velcro. It will come off easily to clean then too. Although it will let dust get in between the glass and the cover, it wont leave a sticky residue like tape will.
AnswerID: 285172

Reply By: Oldman - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 18:36

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 18:36
Hi,
Thanks for the good responses

The tape is an easy option - and will be my fallback - n - I am a bit embarrassed I did not think of this one as I used two roles taping the bleep tered window after breaking it

Bulldog clips! I would not have thought them strong enough - how many did you use? I would never have thought of this one

Also what thickness was your perspex .

Thanks again,
Oldman
AnswerID: 285173

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 21:54

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 21:54
Small bulldog clips. I use about 20 for both doors.

Its plastic not perspex and about 1mm thick

I have used tape...Duct Tape and 100mph tape. In the tropics the glue melts and the tape peels off. Plus it leaves a mess that you have to clean up after use.

Some people just tape cardboard to the glass

Cheers
FollowupID: 550033

Follow Up By: Oldman - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 22:04

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 22:04
Willem,
Must look interesting when all set up. Any pics?

Take yours and others point about duct tape as used that when got busted window (rear) - I ended up taping both sides of the bleep tered window as well as taping cardboard onto it to stop it from distintergrating which would leave me with no window.
Spoilt rest of my trip a bit.

As before duct tape will be a fall back.

Richard
FollowupID: 550035

Reply By: Oldman - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 18:41

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 18:41
Hi - I had thought of Velcro but wasn't sure how they would handle the weather .

How many of the 20 dots do you need ?

Many thanks
Oldman
AnswerID: 285174

Reply By: rags - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 19:03

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 19:03
Hi
I've been using sticky back velcro on my rear screen made from thin perspex on the rear of a prado.Only fit it when towing the camper on trips and has proved successful now for approx 7years. I use velcro that is available from clarke rubber approx 25mm wide cut into approx 50mm lengths and have 4 bits spaced on top and and the same on the bottom and 1 on each side .I've have had to renew some velcro pieces from time to time but have not yet had the screen come off..Yes dust get in between the glass and screen but i stiill have better vision than is offered through a VB box sceen and it can be remove easily to clean and the rear wiper still works.I would be careful if you where to use tape, as depending on the tape it can damage paint work if it comes into contact with the paint and if left for too long[grey duct tape].
Hpoe this helps
Russell
AnswerID: 285180

Reply By: Member - Steve NT - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 19:09

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 19:09
When I did backpacker tours, we used a troopy with a trailer and did many a back window until.

We took the back windows out and replaced them with Lexon perspex windows, They were about $80 per window as apposed to $180 per window.

We got ours at Instant windscreens, worth a try perhaps.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 285181

Reply By: Oldman - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 20:07

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 20:07
Hi - the Velco seems the way to go then - I will give that ago.

My back window cost me $800.

On my next trip out (different vehicle) I got the front one busted - this was on the highway though, The back one was on the OOdnadatta.

So I am a bit paranoid

Many thanks to all the VERY quick suggestions.

Richard
AnswerID: 285192

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 20:37

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 20:37
Richard,

Velcro Dots is definitely the way to go.

I placed mine about 6 inches apart, around the edge of the window and correspondingly on the perspex material.

Also a good idea to place a couple of clear plastic "bumpers" in the centre area of the screen to stop it touching the glass.
This allows water to flow freely between the protector and window and the "air gap" also increases impact resistance.

These bumpers are about 8mm-10mm in diameter and convex shaped. They are available at the same Hardware stores that you can get the Velcro dots.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 285198

Follow Up By: Oldman - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 21:34

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 21:34
Are the bumpers velcros dots as well - with a lump?

Any way will check this out -

Only harware near by is Bunnings so will try there, there is a Clark Rubber though so will try there as well.

Richard
(alias oldman)
FollowupID: 550030

Reply By: PradOz - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 21:10

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 21:10
try the lexan. it is used in all the jails etc where glass normally is required as it is virtually unbreakable. depending on the cost but my rear window is $1500+ so maybe a good idea.

check this link out

lexan

cheers.....
AnswerID: 285208

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 22:15

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 22:15
The downside of lexan is that it will scratch easily. If you were using the rear window wiper I would think that would be enough to scratch it.

But it wont break.

Duncs
FollowupID: 550038

Reply By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 22:44

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 22:44
I'm using some o'this stuff here .....
self-adhesive w/- a vinyl backing.. peel off the backing, stick 'er on, and that's it.. permanent.. forget it's on there, & never worry about the rear windows again:-)) .. Wiper operation is not affected, and in the coupla years I've had it on, not a scratch:-)...

You can order whatever size piece you need, ya just need to cut it to shape (strong scissors, or a sharp hobby knife).. I made templates by taping a sheet of butcher's paper over the window(s), & running a pencil 'round the edge of the glass.. cut along the line, and there's ya template;-))

I will never go back to using cardboard, pesrpex, velcro and/or suction caps & duct tape etc.... not ever..... (YMMV)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 285225

Reply By: Moggs - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 08:58

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 08:58
I made my own rear window savers and used the velcro dots to start with. They were not very good as the adhesive would fail when it got hot from the sun and dirt tended to 'clog' them up. I changed to the 'Dual Lock' 3M product and it is fantastic. It doesn't come off in the sun, is not affected by water or dirt. They are a far superior product to Velcro. You have to really pry the window savers off after a trip. I bought mine from Bunnings and just cut the strips to small square tabs - 3 tabs to a strip.
AnswerID: 285252

Follow Up By: Moggs - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 09:04

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 09:04
FWIW, here is a thread from another forum that shows the ones I made. Might be helpfull to anyone thinking of also making their own:

Moggs Rear Window Guards
FollowupID: 550070

Reply By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 09:08

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 09:08
My two bobs worth
Depends on your vehicle's windows. If COMPLETELY flat then velcro will work fine.
I have a troopy and velco won't work, neither does tape and it leaves a hell of a mess!
Now use suction cups and they work great. The plastic i use is the stuff used for riot shields.
You can buy them in SA from Roof Rack World (08) 8260 6433 for about $1.5 each, they weigh nothing so postage would be bugger all. Order a few more than you think you will need. I use about 20 to do my two rear windows.
Message me if you want to know anything else.
Cheers Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 285253

Reply By: Oldman - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 11:41

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 11:41
HI - I went to local Clarke Rubber and do not have the dots and the velcro but could only stick one side down,

The 3M stuff looks good = do they have dots - looks like you buy stips of that.

I will call Roof World and see as the suction cap approach is simple and means you don't have to leave things stuck to the window afterwards - I have a lease car so this is better for now.

Many thanks to all for the great suggestions

Richard
AnswerID: 285299

Reply By: Member - John G- Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 12:47

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 12:47
G'day Oldman

Like Vince below, I have attached a piece of perspex-like material (from Bunnings) with silver tape. This has survived Birdsville Track, Oddnadatta Track, without coming adrift and without getting any dust between the rear window and the perspex. Can't say whether it has had to withstand stones or not - so far so good.

When I started looking to do this there were some who suggested the fixing devices used for rear window louvres but I didn't want to have the bases permanently stuck to the rear window when the cover was off. I also didn't ever get my impractical head around how the screws would be inserted in the cover.

Cheers
John G
AnswerID: 285315

Sponsored Links