timing belt still noise

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 20:04
ThreadID: 54158 Views:1410 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
ok i had it apart again, the noise is coming from the tensioner pully . this pully is brand new and i took it off and checked it out , smooth as . is it possible that the belt could be creating the noise as it runs over the pully. i have noticed that the belt on the smooth side is not realy smoothe it has slight rigdes matching the teeth on the other side . could the belt be faulty? this is on my nm 3.5 petrol pajero
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Clive G (NZ) - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 20:56

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 20:56
Zacc
Try this trick. I've used it for many years when I think a belt is making a noise. Get a piece of chalk, blackboard or engineers type, hold it in your finger tips and carefully run it on the back of the belt with the engine idling. The noise will go away for a short period if this is where it's coming from. Just keep an eye on that fan while you are doing it.
CliveG (NZ)
AnswerID: 285201

Reply By: Member - Douglas M (SA) - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 21:04

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 21:04
Hi Zacc,
Had a similar thing on a Mitsubishi Gallant a few years ago after the timing belt was replaced. Mechanic said he could fix it but would be a wast of money. 60,000 kilometres later (my daughter has the car now) and it is running fine. By the looks you have a similar problem.
Doug Mac
AnswerID: 285204

Reply By: Member - Axle - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 21:49

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 21:49
Hi Zac, If i did not know better i would have thought you would
have been talking about landrovers!!!, Have a similar prob, ihave a noise on over run , down hill at about 80ks!!, touch the go pedal just a tad and you hear this jimmy cricket racket!, back off it goes away, have replaced every thing!, am now getting very serious as how each brand of belt ( serpentine) actualy fits the pulleys????.

Maybe not be your prob but just make sure you are running genuine belts, then go from there!!.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 285220

Reply By: Trevor W(Brisbane) - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 08:42

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 08:42
I had the same problem when replaced the belt on my 2002 pajero, Mechanic suggested Tin of Silicon Spray which I bought from Repco. Sprayed this on the belt using the clear plastic tube which comes with the can with motor running . Noise goes away straight away but returned a few days latter. Re applied and went ok . Had to apply 4 times over 4 weeks but now noise gone. I to pulled everything apart and checked for worn bearings etc but found nothing.Silicon is an lubricant so it can only make the belt a little softer but it did get rid of the noise.
AnswerID: 285478

Reply By: bludog - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 20:53

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 20:53
Which way did you put the pre load on the tensioner?(clockwise or anticlockwise)
Were you able to easily remove the pin from the tensioner after you rotate the engine twice at the crank?
The belts have a slight ridge on the smooth side this is normal.
May be try a new tensioner pulley as you say it is a bearing noise.
Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 285829

Follow Up By: zacc - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 21:26

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 21:26
looking at the front of the motor i torqued the tension clockwise. the pin was easily removed after tha 2 turns . the tesioner bearing is a brand new one . if the pully was tensioned anticlockwise (looking at the front of the motor) wouldnt the holes on the bearing be at the bottom?
FollowupID: 550837

Reply By: zacc - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 21:03

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 21:03
looking at the front of the motor i torqued the tension clockwise. the pin was easily removed after tha 2 turns . the tesioner bearing is a brand new one .
AnswerID: 285833

Sponsored Links