gearbox,transfer and diff oils

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 13:32
ThreadID: 54184 Views:2195 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Had enough of paying a thousand dollars per service at Toyota so will now be doing most things myself as car is now out of warranty.
About to set of on a year long trip,not sure how many km's we will do. I guess 30-50k. Should i change my diff,gearbox and transfer oils before setting off? Last service 10k ago Toyota just checked them, a bit like the aircon belt that i had to change 8k after last service (they used to change the belts every 40k,not now).
Vehicle has now done 50k and am not sure when(if) Toyota changed them.
Cheers Lyndon
ps,not looking forward to that diff oil in my hair :)
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 13:40

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 13:40
I'd prefer to do them before setting off. Too much trouble doing them along the way. Much better things to do.

AnswerID: 285331

Reply By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 13:41

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 13:41
ps,not looking forward to that diff oil in my hair :)

Yeah it will muck up your finger nail polish as well. LOL

Unless I get water in the oils I change mine every 40k, But I check them regularly.

As for keeping your wheel arches clean paint them Black.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 285333

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 13:52

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 13:52
Hi Steve
How do you know if you have water in them?
If you "crack" the nut will the water come out first?
Cheers Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 550163

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 13:58

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 13:58
No the oil will sit on the bottom, only if it sits for a while.

Drive the car around the block not to get it hot but to stir the oil up, crack the plug and if the oil runs out meaning there is more fluid in there than you put, this would be a good indicator the oil will be a cream colour as well.

This will only occur if you do serious water xings like I do.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 550168

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 14:55

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 14:55
Join the club Lyndon - as well as saving $ you will get some practical experience in solving issues that may arise under there, while in the bush. Changing engine oil mid trip is not hard - and you don't need to pollute the environment either. I do the diffs and transmissions etc. largely as the book indicates - if that is going to happen mid trip, I do them just prior. I just keep an eye on drive belts and hoses and carry spares. Re the timing belt - that is done as the book, or much earlier !!
AnswerID: 285352

Reply By: guzzi - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 17:59

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 17:59
Mate for a trip like that ( you lucky bugger) I'd be changing ALL the fluids, filters and coolants, greasing your wheel bearings and uni joints.
Id also be making up a kit of all your hoses, belts and filters and taking them with you.
Id also be inclined to have a knowledgeable 4x4 type mechanic give it the once over if you are heading off into the more remote areas.
Good luck with the preparations.
AnswerID: 285394

Reply By: nowimnumberone - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 20:48

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 20:48
as a mechanic in a 4wd service centre i cant tell you how often i have to change diff/gearbox oil every 40000ks when it still looks as good as the day i put it in.
why do i change it ?
while under warranty the service book says it has to be done.
so we do it.
after a car is out of warranty and we service them we always check levels and condition.
if there off colour we change if not we leave and put on the service sticker there due a change next service.
if your vehicle has done 50000ks toyota should have done them at 40000ks i wouldnt bother changing them yet.
no time like now to get under there and learn how to check them for when it is time to change them.
loosen the plug in all check points dip your finger in and if it looks clean put the plpug back in and check again in another 5000ks.
if you dont want diff oil in your hain make sure you take the filler plug out before you pull out the drain plug lol
cheers

AnswerID: 285423

Sponsored Links