Cape York 2008

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 14:22
ThreadID: 54190 Views:1542 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Dear Forumers, We are planning a trip (amongst others) leaving Cairns in late May...we have a dual axle Jayco poptop outback van we love and a 100 series Cruiser...how far up the Cape from Cairns would people suggest we could go with the van (without being silly)...we have several thoughts, leave it at Cairns, Mossman, Pt Douglas and do a month up the Cape camping style...or try and get it to Hann River Roadhouse or Coen and do less camping style...We are travelling with a 5 yr old and an 11 yr old but we have all "roughed it" for varying times and in varying places...

Also, anyone else heading that way that we could tag along with???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - jjt98 (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 14:42

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 14:42
Hi there, I would leave it at Port Douglas. There is more things to concern yourself with & ENJOY rather than worrying about the possibilities of what may lie ahead for the Van.
Happy traveling
Cheers
Jason
AnswerID: 285345

Reply By: Grungle - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 15:07

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 15:07
You can go all the way if you want but the best part of the Cape is the OTL. You could camp near Fruitbat falls and do a day drive to the South along the OTL and then another Day to do the North OTL but I would suggest you pair up with another vehicle.

The Developmental / Bypass road is graded for the school holidays so is quite sooth and fast however any rain can undo this in a flash. Otherwise it can get as corrugated as hell.

Regards
David
AnswerID: 285356

Reply By: Member - Peter D M - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 20:12

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 20:12
i went up at the end of june 01 and it was still wet and road conditions were rough. saw a few campers but no caravans. roads were badly corrugated and some were having spring problems. it all depends when the wet finishes.

regards peter
AnswerID: 285419

Reply By: Member - Vincent A M (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 23:02

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 23:02
You can go all the way, but it will be more effort/hassle, in 1967 i went as a kid & the folks towed a 23' ply boat & launched at the original Jardine crossing.(that was when it was a challenge)
Were heading up again about the same time (just trying to finalise dates) but will be a Quick trip as only going for a wedding & want to see a few friend's on the way.

take your time & tow it IF it & you are up to it
AnswerID: 285458

Sponsored Links