How to price a used camper trailer

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 18:50
ThreadID: 54200 Views:2335 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Today we went and looked at a second hand camper trailer.

It's a 2004 model and very well travelled. It sounds like it has been everywhere!
The couple estimate they have used it ( and I mean slept in it) for about 1 year.

It's in very good nick and they obviously have looked after it. There is some rust on the trailer where it connects to your car and the canvas has no holes or damages, however looks sort of marked. My husband says this is just how canvas goes and there is nothing wrong with it. ( Can you tell I have never looked at a second hand camper!)

So, I guess what I'm asking is what should a used camper trailer look like? This one is for sale for $10K and would cost me $18 if I brought the same trailer new. My hubby wants to buy it, but I'm the type who likes things new!

Am I just sounding critical?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 19:05

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 19:05
Havent you just answered your own question???

"Am I just sounding critical?" YEP!

Cheers
AnswerID: 285407

Reply By: howie - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 19:06

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 19:06
probably would help if you mentioned the campers make & model.
AnswerID: 285408

Reply By: Brad40 - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 19:20

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 19:20
G,day

If its done a lot of miles i would be looking more at the condition of the supension system and the addidtion of any extras like a kitchen , water tanks & battery system .
You can buy yourself a new high density or innerspring mattress for a couple of hungies & if your taking it offroad its gonna get covered in dust /mud anyway .

sounds like a good buy at $8000 cheaper than new .

there is a second hand camper section on this site with piccies (click on TRADER above)

regards

Brad
AnswerID: 285410

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 19:57

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 19:57
If it is a good recognised and respected brand, I suspect it won't last long if it is a 2004 model and 44% less than replacement cost. Some of the top brands with long lead times from order to delivery, retain very high resale value, with a 2004 model selling for not more than 20% below replacement.

If you use a camper trailer, the canvas gets some marks and a 'used' look. If you want it to always look new, don't use it. Simple as that.

As said by someone else, the things to look at closely are suspension, kitchen, overall design etc.

The things you have described are not problems at all.

From the brief info you have given, if it is a good brand and you like the set up, it is probably an excellent buy at the price.
AnswerID: 285415

Reply By: Member - Barnesy (SA) - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 01:53

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 01:53
If your hubby knows what to look for in a CT, and he thinks it's a good buy then from the sounds it will be a good buy.

If the only things wrong with it is normal canvas marking, 12 months of use and some surface rust then is it worth an extra $8000 to have a CT that doesn't have those things wrong?

As was said above the condition of the suspension, bearings and hubs etc would be important if it has 'been everywhere'.
Your Hubby sounds correct.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 285469

Sponsored Links