Jayco camper owners

Submitted: Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 20:09
ThreadID: 54239 Views:2507 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, just new to this site as we have recently purchased a 1990 Jayco swan. We are having trouble with the 3 way fridge. We cannot get the gas to work. There is a gas smell when trying to light it but the piezo starter isn't lighting it. Any suggestions from members who have had this problem or who know how to fix it
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Terry D (QLD) - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 20:22

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 20:22
Hi Gunna
I have a Jayco 22fter. Had some problems and know a few others with similar to yours. We always light the stove to get the gas going before lighting the fridge. HOWEVER, another problem was the flexible staino knitted gas pipes - from bottles to regulator. Apparently they are faulty - had them replaced with the semi rigid copper pipes and never had a problem since - the others (3) I know who had same problem did likewise and same outcome.
Goodluck
TD
AnswerID: 285624

Reply By: Member - carl R (QLD) - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 20:35

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 20:35
I just bought a Jayco at the end of last year and had the same problem.First can you get gas at he stove and with good pressure if so there are two gas valves under the van one for the stove the other for the fridge check them. If you are having trouble lighting the stove as well your regulator is broken and a new one will set you back about $30 OR $40 dollars from Jayco.
AnswerID: 285629

Reply By: DIO - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:28

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:28
I have owned my Swan for some 25 yrs now. A great unit and yes I too had similar problems. Lighting the hot plate first always worked for me.
As the van is 'new' to you I would strongly suggest that you get the fridge and gas fittings checked out by a licenced gas fitter/installer. You have no idea what the unit was subjected to prior to you obtaining it. Same goes for wheel bearing, brakes etc.
My (late) brother in law also had a Swan. Once when bush camping he left the van unattended to go fishing. Upon return van was on fire and burning from a fractured gas pipe in behind the fridge. He managed to subdue fire (had a couple of good sized extinguishers - THAT WORKED), considerable damage. Never take LPG for granted.
AnswerID: 285738

Reply By: Grinner - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 10:22

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 10:22
All good sugestions so far, another few tips from my experience. Mine wont light on gas straight after being on power, I have to leave it to cool down / warm up before it will light on gas. Also a tip I read on the internet was to press the ignitor buttom 6 or so times without the gas button pressed in, before trying to light it.

Grinner
AnswerID: 286124

Reply By: Ozboc - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 15:40

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 15:40
I have the Flamingo outback ( the larger one ) something i have observed with mine -- if you put on a new gas cylinder , it sometimes take a while to prime up the line as there is Oxygen in the line and the fridge does not draw very much gas -- so can take a few minutes for the air to be primed out of the system - you can speed this up a little by lighting y our stove for maybe 1 min, and as others have suggested try a new regulator , if its the original that came with the camper - then it could be well over due for replacing

when you hit the pezio lighter - do you see a spark from the sight glass -- or a small flame -- ( very hard to see when its daytime so maybe trying it at night time and in the dark will give a good indication of whats happening )

if all this has been tried -- then it may be time for a service by an expert as the last thing you need is for it to go out ( because of a fault ) whilst your sleeping

Boc
AnswerID: 286151

Sponsored Links