How a simple little service job can go so pear shaped!!.

Submitted: Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 20:58
ThreadID: 54246 Views:3398 Replies:8 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Decided to do a oil change today on the 4by, simple job, have done it thirty times since owning the vehicle, Out with the spanners , and the tray to drain the oil into, undo the sump plug and let her rip, then it started!!, whats this around the thread of the plug??, just the thread out of the sump!!, Laying there pondering about this debacle, when what the hell !, sump oil pouring out the garage door, The bloody drain tray is split from one end to the other, Mad dash for rags and whatever to soak up the mess. Get that cleaned up and think might as well get the filter off, Because of the oil mess i sort of stayed back a bit, stretched my arm to the limit got on the filterwith the wrench and loosened it off, nothing wrong here! same as usual ,until i spin it off by hand , and get to the end and the b....rd decides to flip up side down and give me a soaking of oil up to the arm pits!.

Still can't beleive what happened...lol.

Cheers Axle.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 21:04

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 21:04
Was this you audition for the host for the Aussie Top Gear Host?? LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 285639

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 21:12

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 21:12
HAHAHA!, Honestley mate it was one those days.

Axle.

FollowupID: 550635

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 21:12

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 21:12
Axle,

From past experience, cement powder on the oil stain will soak it up and does not leave a big stain.

The drain hole can be tapped out to the next size up, but make sure that you have a new sump plug in a bigger size before tapping the drain hole. It should be a BSP thread.

I changed the oil in the Troopie last Thursday afternoon and let it drain all night. On Friday there was oil still dripping out of the sump.
Letting the oil drain over night also allows the oil to drain from the filter. It is a real twist and turn to get the filter out and if not drained completly oil gets everywhere.

Wayne
AnswerID: 285642

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 21:25

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 21:25
Hi Wayne, on close inspection it appears to be the thread on the sump plug thats let go! , after cleaning it out the sump looks ok, will just try a new plug. Yep there will be cement dust every where, before symbo catches on!...lol.
FollowupID: 550641

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 21:32

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 21:32
Axle,

Looks like your luck is changing already. Changing the sump plug is a lot better than tapping out the sump.

Wayne

FollowupID: 550648

Follow Up By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 21:32

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 21:32
Hi Wayne

Thanks for that tip re overnight draining. Never liked juggling the full filter from confined spaces on Prada - so will try on the Troopie.

Chris
FollowupID: 550649

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 21:51

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 21:51
While you're in the market for a new sump plug, why not consider one of these

http://www.fumoto.com.au/?gclid=CO6glv-qpECFRQUiQod4SjhWA

Great idea in my opinion. Much cleaner and easier to drain your oil.

RoachieFumoto valve
FollowupID: 550659

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 22:07

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 22:07
Hi Roachie, Looks a great device, But saying that , it does look a bit vunerable if you were in a bog situation, it wouldn't take much to knock that lever up and around, Do you think??.

Cheers Axle.

FollowupID: 550664

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 22:29

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 22:29
Axle, I guess it would depend how exposed your sump is. On the Chevvy donk, it is well up and out of the way. It requires a definite 2 stage movement and you'd be hard-pressed to get into a situation where the terrain (mud, rocks, sticks etc) could have any chance of making it do the job. About the same chance as ripping a hole in your sump on a rock I would guess.

Anyway, I'm satisfied in my own mind that it's all okay,

Roachie
FollowupID: 550670

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 22:44

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 22:44
I am ordering 4 tomorrow do you know if they make them for G/boxes??

I was doing a service on 2 of my cars last year, you know come in at 7 pm and going out at 6 am the next day thing, I was draining the sump and decided to check the G/Box, Well F@ck me I pulled the filler plug off and out spurted easy 2 liters of boiling oil straight down my arm.

The rag was soaked in hot oil and I couldn't put the plug back in because it was burning, so I decided the clean up was going to be less painful than trying to stop the flow, so I just let it go.

What happened was the boot around the gear leaver had come off so on the water xings the gearbox filled with water, synthetic oil and water turn into something like honey so you can imagine how it hurt.

So Axle I know your pain.

Cheers Steve.

FollowupID: 550672

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 22:49

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 22:49
Steve,

They make them in different size threads.

If you remove the drain plug and measure the size of the tread and the pitch they should be able to match it.

On the web site they have different sizes listed. See Roachie's follow up for the web site.

Wayne
FollowupID: 550674

Follow Up By: Member - Scooby (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 12:46

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 12:46
I lock my Fumoto drain plug in the shut position with a simple worm drive jubilee clip. It is quick and easy to remove the clip and stops the lever being accidentally opened, although as Roachie points out there is a definite two way action against a spring to open the lever.
Regards
Scooby
FollowupID: 550751

Follow Up By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 20:03

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 20:03
Before I spin the filter off the 1HZ I punch a hole in the top with a long large screwdriver and hammer. Then the oil will drain out quickly.
Incidently i had "one of those days' recently while painting. I knocked the paint laden brush out of my own hand when the tip clipped the ladde. Bugger! get down and clean up the paint off doors, window and floor where it flew over the drop sheet. Then back up the ladder with 3/4 full 4 ltr can to try again. The handle slipped from my grasp at the top of the ladder and the can hit the ladder back rungs as it proceeded to spray paint over the same doors and window but this time did a great job. Double bugger!! next hour spent cleaning the mess up before swimbo returns. Phew, just made it. Put painting off till tomorrow so I'll just move this bit of timber on garage floor so I can close door. Yeh, right! Iknocked a full 5 ltr diesel oil container down the stairs and the lid pops off and .....glob, glob glob goes the oil down the stairs. SH....T!!!
Have shower and relax, that's enough work for one day.
FollowupID: 550819

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 21:28

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 21:28
Awwww mate...you and I live in a parallel universe.....hahahaha

Most of the time all I can say is WTF !!

Cheers
AnswerID: 285649

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 21:43

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 21:43
HAHAHAHA!, Mate it pouring rain over here, can't work!, after todays episode, All i can do is walk around in circles saying WTF!!.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 550655

Reply By: Ian-Rodeo - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 21:46

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 21:46
Axle
Ever thought about fitting a FUMOTO drain plug ?
www.fumoto.com.au/?gclid=CNCd_76rqpECFQRZiAodfkOqYw

Well worth the effort. Makes changing the oil when travelling or in the garage so much easier. We have travelled in excess of 200,000 kms in some harsh conditions and never had any problems with the Fumoto Drain Plug.
Cheers.
Ian
One life. Live it while you can.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 285656

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 22:02

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 22:02
Before I go any further I will set the scene -

it is 10:00pm NSW time I am in the computer room and cannot be bothered getting torch and going to check for myself - so be gentle with me ok :-)))

The plug looks like an EXCELLENT idea - my only question is " does it/will it risk being knocked if doing and reasonable off raod work"

rememeber I did ask you to be gentle now :-)
FollowupID: 550663

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 22:18

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 22:18
KiwiAngler,

I had the same thoughts.

I have a good look at the sump when I change the oil and there don't appear to be any signs of rocks hitting the sump plug.

The sump is also very high and on the Troopie and the bell housing is lower that the sump, I think that is how it is.

It is also very dark outside and I am not game to go out side now to check, besides it is raining, still.

There office is at Mt Druitt not far from me so I might give them a call.

Wayne
FollowupID: 550668

Reply By: Member - shane (SA) - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 22:00

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 22:00
mate that brings back a few memories, i got a call from Melbourne in the afternoon and had to leave that night. raced home, thought better give the girl a quick oil change before i go. slid under, undid the sump plug, put the oil catch tray under and quickly took the two oil filters off. went inside and had a shower. came out about an hour later ready to finish, holy sh#t, oil was running down the drive into the gutter. oil pan had a few holes in it from me welding above it the week before. thick black diesel oil everywhere. the stains still there 12 months later.
cheers shane.
AnswerID: 285662

Reply By: DIO - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:17

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:17
Yeah oil spill all over the place. Know what you mean. I went to a 'cheapy shop' and bought a 20kg bag of 'kitty litter'. Keep that close at hand when working on vehicles and if a spill occurs just throw some onto the oil, leave as long as you can and it will clean up remarkably well. Then I throw it into a garbage bag and into the bin. Does it for me.
AnswerID: 285734

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 07:35

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 07:35
Heat the kitty litter in the microwave first as it supposedly works better for some reason.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 550896

Reply By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 12:18

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 12:18
I thought I was the only one that couldn't help spilling oil..?? LOL
AnswerID: 285749

Reply By: Member - Hughesy (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 20:37

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 20:37
That's a crack up Axle - I think we can all relate to that.

Another tip I learnt the hard way is check the weather before changing the oil in your driveway.

My vehicle is lifted a bit and I took it for a run to get the oil nice and hot. Put the bucket underneath and undid the very hot plug. Hot oil starts pouring out and dropping 6 inches or so into the bucket......lying there watching it (all going well) when a loooong gust of wind spreads the single stream of oil into a spray like out of the garden hose.....nothing landing in the bucket......I try putting the plug back in but only manage to get hot oil all up my arm. Heaps of profanities latter I get about 7L in the bucket and 3 on the driveway. SWMBO came outside to see what the yelling is about and stands there giving me one of those looks we've all seen before.

The driveway had a very rough brushed concrete finish which made it impossible to clean it up easily.

Lesson - only change oil outdoors on a calm day LOL.
AnswerID: 285825

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 23:06

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 23:06
Or when SWMBO has bleep off for a day!!....lol.

Axle.
FollowupID: 550873

Sponsored Links