LPG Rip-off at Nullarbor Roadhouse - $1.20 litre!!!

Submitted: Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 22:02
ThreadID: 54248 Views:7154 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Just pulled in today to find LPG at $1.20 a litre! Said to the bloke that it was bloody expensive and he told me the boss had called and told him to put it up; the previous price was 99 cents a litre. I'll e-mail the ACCC which probably won't get anywhere but feel I have to do something as this is highway robbery. Left Streaky Bay this morning and paid 89 cents a litre. Damn big difference for a distance of 400kms. I only put a bit in as I'm probably better off running petrol and I'll see what the next stop charges for LPG. Unleaded was $1.77, will check diesel in the morning.

Had to get that off my chest!

Mark.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frankp - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 22:21

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 22:21
Slightly off topic, but it's a bit like the cartel at Tea Gardens, NSW. They all charge $20 to fill a 4kg bottle. My local charges $16 for 9kg and $10 for 4kg.

B@st@rds!

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 285670

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 23:10

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 23:10
So much for the Govt' scheme to get people to install Gas with a Govt' subsidy, Stupid bloody Greens and their ideas, then they give it to you in one hand and rip it from the other, when all this crap started I thought to myself it won't be long and the gas users will be targeted, My vehicle was built to run on diesel and that's the way it's staying.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 285686

Reply By: Member - Terry F (QLD) - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 23:23

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 23:23
Yep...... when you go out of town that LPG gets expensive. I traded in my LPG vehicle late January. My experience was if anything went wrong with the vehicle, not many people are licensed ,or feel comfortable working on a dual fuel car. The only servo in town with LPG has either a broken fuel bowser or "we are waiting for the tanker"

In 2005 I crossed the Simpson on petrol, saving my LPG for the run into Birdsville. LPG system (electrical problem) failed. No body there could fix it of course. Down the Birdsville track to as far as Peterbourgh. The bloke there could not fix it either. I drove all the way back to Sth East Qld with a full tank of South Aus LPG in the tank.

My other problem was I had points, if a young bloke worked on the car, I think they lacked the experience.

I now have a diesel and rather like the sound of the rattle under the bonnet.

I hope the fuel gets cheaper for you Mark.
Cheers
AnswerID: 285691

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 06:29

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 06:29
You will never be able to justify running lpg in rural areas. If most of your driving involves filling up in rural areas then diesel is probably a better deal. I changed for a dual fuel GQ to a diesel GQ about 6 months ago and i can tell you that its more expensive to keep on the road.
Most of my fills are in the city so thats where you have to count the savings of lpg and then grin and bear it when you fill up in the rural areas. You are still miles in front $$ wise with the lpg.
AnswerID: 285708

Follow Up By: Member - Mark H (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 00:04

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 00:04
At the moment I'm still ahead running it on LPG but I have another 5 months to go and I can see it only going up (except around Perth). I had the gas put on before the trip and after the government rebate I worked out this 6 month trip should pay for the difference and when I return home I'll start to really enjoy the price benefits. Hopefully it still works out like that.

Mark.
FollowupID: 550886

Reply By: Snowy 3.0iTD - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 07:34

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 07:34
It's quite simple really, they have it, you want it, and they are the only place for a couple of hundred kilometers, if you are intending heading north from Perth after you reach there, you had better get use to it. Although something to remember for next time is you fill up at Ceduna, Mundrabilla, and then Norseman. when crossing the Nullarbor. Just one little safety tip if you are heading north from Perth, never leave a major town without a full tank, it may sound simple but you would be suprised how many people would think that fuel will probably cheaper at the next place and they don't make it.

Cheers

Snowy
AnswerID: 285712

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 09:11

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 09:11
Just to add that Penong and Nundroo are as "cheap" as Ceduna for diesel and I'd expect LPG. Nullabor is usually the dearest - we often take a splash there before heading north into the desert. I've often found Caltex Penong to sell diesel for the same price as Adelaide, and they turn over a heap of it - lots of trucks fill up there.
FollowupID: 550720

Follow Up By: splits - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 12:58

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 12:58
talk about being cheaper at the next place: I heard Gerry Harvey, the billionaire owner of Harvey Norman, talking on Sydney radio a couple of years ago. The conversation got around to saving money and Gerry said he was in the dog house with his wife recently after driving past a couple of service stations, while running low on fuel, because he knew another one a little further down the road was a few cents cheaper. He ran out before he got there.

Brian
FollowupID: 550752

Reply By: DIO - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:10

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:10
Glad you got it off your chest, no point in dwelling on it and stressing completely out.
The pricing of LPG is no different to that of petrol and diesel. The industry is in the business of making money, lots and lots of it. They know that without their product you/we are left sitting on the side of the road - so effectively they have us over a barrel in that regard.

You really do need to understand that the industry will price their goods (fuel) at a price that the market will pay. It makes no difference as to the availability, locality, market share. It all comes down to what they think they can get for it and what they can get away with. As you stated, you had a choice to use petrol. That's the way to go. If one commodity is priced as unacceptable then buy the other.. It's the same with fluctuations (discount cycles) in some areas. Always buy at the low part of their pricing cycle and use shopper dockets. If their discount cycle lasts 3 days out of 7 and the majority of motorists refuse to buy (anything other than small amounts say $5 - $10 worth - where practical) during those 4 days then it won't take long for the industry to realise what is happening and extend the discount cycles.
The power of the consumer is greater than that of the retailer IF ONLY the consumers would unite as have the retailers then we could beat them (pricing wise) any time any day and place them 'over a barrel'.
I say ALL POWER TO THE CONSUMER
AnswerID: 285733

Reply By: Robnicko - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:22

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:22
and they still give it to China for 4.5cpl!!!!!!!!!!!

SBS had a doco a couple of weeks ago and the Venezuelan prime minister was commenting on the fact that they had about 200 years worth of oil.
He said, we will look after our people first, then look at selling internationally.
Thats something Rudd should consider.............Bass St = full of LPG
AnswerID: 285736

Follow Up By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 13:47

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 13:47
The off shore gas supplies are Natural Gas, LPG is a man made by product of petroleum. So unless your engine can run on natural gas then your stuck with the current situation.
FollowupID: 550759

Reply By: spudseamus - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 14:06

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 14:06
yep Bass straight is full of gas but we dont have an Aussie gas company that isint beholdin to a multi national
AnswerID: 285758

Reply By: Robnicko - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 16:30

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 16:30
Mark,
Heres some better news
http://www.lpgaustralia.com.au/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=11

Rob
AnswerID: 285780

Follow Up By: Member - Mark H (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 23:59

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 23:59
Thanks Rob,

I guess that helps to explain the general rise in LPG over the last couple of months but it's still a rip-off!

Did a 900km run today from the Nullarbor Roadhouse to Norseman and at 4 different stops the price was between $1.06 & $1.08. I also took notice of ULP and Diesel if they were close by and am about to put them in the fuel watch of this site in anyone is interested.

I wonder how much China sell it for to their motorists? We might get it cheaper buying it back off them!

Mark.
FollowupID: 550883

Sponsored Links