Great Desert Tracks - Myth Bust

Submitted: Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 23:22
ThreadID: 54253 Views:2389 Replies:1 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hello

Just a note to clarify some misinformation posted in previous thread that has now been archived.

The thread 52242 by Kiwi & "Mahindra" requesting information on maps for Magellan Explorist 500 and specific question “how good is that Great Desert Tracks” received the following direct response…

“Don't even think about trying to add Great Desert Maps to your GPS , For Computer use only”

In the interest of those who may wish to know the truth, the following Myth Busting information is provided – Hemas “Great Desert Tracks” has been available in Magellan GPS format for many years. Most current edition (released mid last year) is available on SD card and is called DiscoverAus Outback Tourer, though if you can get hold of the older GDT version on CD it will still work with your eXplorist.

Details on latest version here

Magellan GDT News

and here

GPSOZ GDT Link

I can't comment on how good or bad it is as have never seen or used it, though I can say previous GDT version had less tracks shown than DAST (though maybe some on DAST longer existed!!). Maybe some others can provide some feedback.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 07:53

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 07:53
Greg
They were asking about this product only

Description: This product has the complete Desert Tracks Maps in a format that can be viewed on a computer or laptop. This CD has the same features as the map pack and even the Companion Guide is in a digital form so you are able to view. It comes complete with OziExplorer Lite map viewer and latitude/longitude positioning. And now available with new packaging.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 285717

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:17

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:17
Hello Doug maybe my English comprehension is bad but the original thread did say

"we just got the Magellan Explorist 500 and need some maps for the thing"

“how good is that Great Desert Tracks”

Fact of the matter is there is a Magellan GPS compatible version of the product so I figured thats what they were talking about. In any event, even if they weren’t specifically referring to it but to the OziExplorer Version of the product the comment

“Don't even think about trying to add Great Desert Maps to your GPS , For Computer use only”

is still misleading - You CAN get GDT tracks maps onto your Magellan GPS.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 550730

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:24

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:24

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 550731

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:45

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:45
Greg
I'm not going to continue arguing about this as the mob and Davoe are over the Next G .
I Read what the original question was and were thinking along the lines of if Great Desert Tracks can be added to a Magellan, My answer was
"Don't even think about trying to add Great Desert Maps to your GPS , For Computer use only"
They did not at anytime mention DiscoverAus or I would have answered YES .
So are you saying I was wrong ,
Your statment of
"You CAN get GDT tracks maps onto your Magellan GPS." I say No you can't , it's called DiscoverAus, not Great Desert Tracks,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 550733

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:51

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:51
Greg
OK I did not know of that one , I am wrong .
But is that the one they asked about and when was it released onto the market.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 550735

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 11:08

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 11:08
Doug - You will have to ask them if thats what they were talking about - you were thinking one thing and I was thinking another.

GDT for Magellan was released circa 2003

GDT for Magellans Released

but as I sort of mentioned in my first post it has been superseded by a new version with additional Hema map areas included - it is available only on SD card and is called DiscoverAus Outback Tourer.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 550738

Follow Up By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 13:42

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 13:42
Ok now shake hands fella's - there's good lads...

Grrr!!!
FollowupID: 550758

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 14:02

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 14:02
No need - I have no issue with any of Doug's responses and feel that we have had a very civil discussion on the subject at hand. I have (as yet) not been called a #&*%$#, a fool or had my intelligence level question in this instance - all is good:)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 550762

Follow Up By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 14:10

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 14:10
I was only joking Greg!!!

Grrr!!!
FollowupID: 550763

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 14:13

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 14:13
I realise that, I was just trying to be funny too.
You gotta smile
Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 550764

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 14:49

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 14:49
Hee Hee ...could'nt resist

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 550767

Sponsored Links