JEEP-NEW GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED TURBO DIESEL

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 19:34
ThreadID: 54273 Views:2246 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Any thoughts on this vehicle or experiences. Wanted a 200 cruiser but too dear. This looks like a good option but unsure of any problems they might have. Good and bad feedback welcome.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: happytravelers - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 21:10

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 21:10
Make sure you take one for a good extended road test first as they handle and ride a lot differently to Japanese 4wd's. A softer suspension and not as positive in the steering. The v6 diesel is a beauty, smooth, powerful and economical. It's a Mercedes Benz engine as is the trans. that it's mated to. The main problems with the vehicle so far have been mostly electrical, Jeep electronics are not the most reliable on the market. At the end of the day you have to be happy with the vehicle, not just the fact that it was cheaper than the one you really wanted.
Regards Jon
AnswerID: 285838

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 01:00

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 01:00
Gooday,
Have a 2006 Commander CRD, now done 30,000KM largely towing our 21 ft caravan, couldn't be happier. Same mechanicals as Grand Cherokee, haven't tried it off road but great vehicle from my point of view.
Cheers,
Borma604.
AnswerID: 285904

Reply By: jeepthing - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 09:17

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 09:17
Hi alby4wd,

I'm on my second Jeep never had any issues/problems with either. The first one was a WG V8 Laredo which did 130,000, my current one is a 2007 Laredo CRD currently done 30,000k no problems. It's a beautiful vehicle to drive and in my view handles exceptionally well. The engine is extremely powerful and exhiliarating to drive. I haven't heard of anyone having electrical problems with one. From speaking with the service manager at the dealership where I have mine serviced he tells me that they have very few issues with them and if so they are very minor.

In terms of 4wd capability the Quadra Track II is in my view better than any vehicle that has air lockers, the system is sometimes referred to as a smart locker. A while ago I was bogged in a stony creek bed whilst traversing the road between Mt Augustus WA and Mt Tom Price. someone had previously been bogged there and had loosened it up quite a bit. I was towing a Jayco Penguin 13 Off Road. I engaged low range which activates the QDII system and the vehicle launched itself straight out of the situation with ease.

Before I bought my first Jeep I spoke with at least 50 people who owned one and none of them had any major issues and told me they would buy one again. I did the same thing again before moving to the CRD, same thing no issues. The best thing is to speak with the people who own one they drive them.

I've owned other 4wd brands but I have never bought more than one of them...I'm on my second Jeep though. And I am clearly bias.

Hope this helps.

AnswerID: 285920

Follow Up By: jeepthing - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 08:09

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 08:09
alby4wd,

Suggest you ask the same question on this site:

www.ausjeepoffroad.com

FollowupID: 551145

Sponsored Links