XL7 lift

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 19:35
ThreadID: 54274 Views:1860 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi all,
i have a 2001 XL7, A/T yokie geolander II tyres.
i have been out 4wding in the brindabellas and south coast. my problem is that it bottoms out a fair bit on the rough stuff, mainly on the H/D tow bar.
i am looking at putting 20mm spring spacers in it.
i have heard that the CV's and sway bars are placed under a fair bit of pressure and fail when you have a 40mm lift.
my question...will this be the same case with a 20mm lift.
has anyone put 20mm lift in their xl7
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 21:16

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 21:16
Hi there XL7, I didnt have a XL7 long wheel base but had the Grand Vitara late 2000 model 2 Litre with (claimed 50mm lift) was about 35/40 which I had installed. Made a difference in ride quality and handling. Never had any thing fail in the suspension department but even though shorter wheel base then the XL7 it still bottomed out easy was part of the reason I sold it as at the time was doing some fairly hard stuff so got the hilux, have since got the prado. Thats the only thing I could fault. You can go higher BUT thats when you will put strain on the driving components especially the cv's thats why I settled for the 50 mm lift. Spring Spacers ??? Are they legal ?? I have no idea. Also not sure who your insured with but check up with them as well on what ever you decide. NRMA allow no more then 50 mm suspension lift and 50mm body lift. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 285840

Follow Up By: 01xl7 - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 22:10

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 22:10
thanks steve, the reason i am thinking about 20mm is to minimise the strain on the cvs', but if you are saying 50mm is still not a problem, i might look further into that. noting that when my tyres wear down i will be replacing them with 70 or 75 series instead of the standard 60 series. this will give me around 100mm lift. but i will have to regear the spedo. so all up i will have 120mm-150mm lift. not sure if the 'spring spacers??' comment is a question. the spring spacers are nolathaine and they sit on the top of the spring giving x amount of lift without getting bigger springs. if you already knew that, my appoligies.
cheers, tommo.
FollowupID: 550859

Sponsored Links