OzTopoV2 for Garmin now "Shipping"

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 20:39
ThreadID: 54276 Views:2395 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
OzTopoV2

Not sure when this was "announced" but appears the wait is over - anyone scored a copy yet - any feedback?
I have ordered a copy - will be interesting to see how it compares to DAST Topo.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (Narangba QLD - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 20:57

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 20:57
I was emailed today by GPSOZ to tell me shipping has started and should expect mine by the end of this week or early next.

Alan
AnswerID: 285832

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 18:36

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 18:36
G'day Greg. I've just taken delivery of my first GPS, a Garmin Vista HCx. Are you using a Garmin and if so, how much of a difference is there between OzTopo and the free download version "contours Australia"? Is the Roads and Tracks included in the Oztopo of a better standards than tracks4australia? Hoping an expert can help me with some advice.

Thanks

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 286185

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 19:08

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 19:08
Hello - firstly I am not an expert on anything (not my definition of expert anyway)

I have Garmin 60cx plus 276c (and a couple of Magellan's along with a PDA running Oziexplorer, you can never have enough gps units..though I plan on flogging a few shortly..just got carried away)

Anyway firstly terminology - Oztopo was the name for original product that used T4A + contours. Latest version is called OztopoV2 so best to include V2 or we could get confused. It does not use T4A data but more detailed data purchased from Govt in addition to contour data derived from free NASA data (same as contours for Australia). I haven't seen OztopoV2 first hand (my copy is in mail) but specs on OzTopoV2 state level of detail equivalent to a 25K scale map - T4A and Shonky are derived from 250K scale data so OzTopoV2 detail will be huge improvement on T4A and Shonky.

Here are some screen shots if you want to see difference.

Screen Shots 1

This lot illustrate that in some areas there wont be much difference presumably as there are no extra tracks to show but in other areas detail is very much improved.

Screen Shots 2

This second lot show big difference in detail for state forest area

If you use your GPS a fair bit then it looks like a worthwhile investment.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 551260

Sponsored Links