Annex question

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 20:17
ThreadID: 54313 Views:3323 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Can anyone help me with some awning info.
I saw an awning a couple of years ago and was impressed by it’s design and now want one the same. Unfortunately I was not smart enough to take photos of it or ask whether it was purchased or home made.
The most distinguishing feature of this annex was a U shaped aluminum channel at either side of the annex. In each channel was 2 poles/spreader bars. Each pole was bolted at one end, this allowed the poles to lay side by side in the channel when traveling and then pivot out of the channel at 90 deg . The channel on the side of the car was mounted with the U facing sideways, these 2 poles pivoted out to become spreader bars. The point end of these poles went into holes in the other channel. This second channel was mounted with the U facing down, these 2 poles pivoted down to become the 2 outside poles. U channels would be approx 50mm wide & 25mm deep.
Have I totally confused everyone yet?
What I am trying to achieve is an annex that would be free standing in good weather without needing ropes or pegs. My main use of this annex would be to have lunch under when on the beach or similar. I would still have to use pegs & ropes in windy conditions.
Yeah I know, it would be a lot easier just to go out & buy an annex, but where is the fun in that? I have this idea stuck in my head and would love to see some photos of one and then have a go at building one.

from Marty.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - michael P (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 20:45

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 20:45
Hi Marty
Sounds like my ARB awning. Have a look at their website and you should be able to see one.
If you end up buying or building one, always peg it down,it only takes one tiny gust of wind to have it all sailing skywards!!!!!

Michael P

AnswerID: 286042

Reply By: Tim Owen - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 21:42

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 21:42
I have one of these on the side of my pop-top troopy ... sort of sounds like what you are describing

http://www.blackwidow4wdstorage.com/awnings/awnings.htm

stands alone in good weather, and is surprisingly sturdy - but definitely requires ropes with any 'wind'.
AnswerID: 286058

Reply By: MartyB - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 22:33

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 22:33
Thanks for the leads, I will go into the 4WD shops & check them out.
Marty.
AnswerID: 286066

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 22:52

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 22:52
Open Sky or ARB, they are both the same as you describe.
AnswerID: 286068

Reply By: apriti00 - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 09:26

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 09:26
Funny enough I priced the poles yesterday from ARB, I have made an awning very similar to what you have described without the poles fixed to the aluminium extrusions. The spreader bars are 57.30 each and the legs are 50.85 each. I think I will end up getting some normal cam lock poles and make some attachment to suit.
Walter MEL
AnswerID: 286114

Reply By: Ole Grizzly - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 10:58

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 10:58
Here's the way to go..Excellent products @ very competitive prices.
I have one, and am extremely happy with it. Anthony is very creative with a variety of products.

www.ajssaddlery.websyte.com.au
AnswerID: 286128

Sponsored Links