1998 Hilux - suspension, tank and simpson desert.

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 12:13
ThreadID: 54328 Views:5042 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 1998 SR5 Dual Cab Hilux (3.0Lt Diesel non turbo). I am looking to upgrade the suspension and install a long range fuel tank in anticipation for a virgin Simpson Desert crossing mid year. Suspension I am looking at is Old Man Emu and tank being a Long Ranger 115Lt. Firstly, is there anything to be weary of in terms of suspension upgrade, particularly on the Hilux independent front. And out of curiosity (and safety), will 115Lt plus 40Lt in jerry cans be enough fuel for the trip?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 12:50

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 12:50
Hi Lewy
With that much diesel, you would nearly enough for a double crossing. Depending which way you cross and which tracks you take, you will have a great safety margin. You will have a ball and enjoy the mighty Simpson.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 286132

Reply By: Member - Scooby (WA) - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 13:11

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 13:11
Hi Lewy,
I have the same vehicle as you but a 99 model. I have a 110 litre tank fitted where the spare mounts underneath. It was made by K & N Engineering in Perth. I can switch between either tank and the fuel level reads on the standard gauge. This system has worked well for 5 years. Recently I fitted LPG and this has increased the range further and provided a bit more power (20%).
I have air bellows in the back which work very well and have fitted OME shocks on the front. These shocks are too firmly damped for me and shake the hell out of the vehicle on rough roads. I will try Koni's next.
Regards
Scooby
AnswerID: 286135

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 13:16

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 13:16
"Suspension upgrade".....I sometimes wonder why so many people do this.........if the existing suspension needs replacement then that may well be the time to say....... is it reasonable wear and tear? or have I been overloading the old girl? ....and now it needs replacement..... do I replace with OEM or do I " upgrade" based on answers to the questions above

I have had 7 Hilux dual cabs over the years.....so the first thing is obvious.....they were not old and averaged 60K on the clock.......but before the critics jump in.....the suspension was Ok at each trade in

All I have ever done is put firestone ride rites under the leaf at the backs from new........never touched the front.....long range tanks and plenty of heavy load over as rough a ground and remote as any one else has ever done and with towing an off road camper trailer...plus our paddocks with a firefighter water tank etc.

yes the springs are soft and the Hilux is known for this......but the air bags have clearly done the job in receiving the punishment and protecting the leaf springs....never touched an OEM shockie yet

a mate came with me on the gunbarrel one bad year ( worst corrugations ever experienced) his brand new Old Man Emus (specially for the trip on his Hilux) were stuffed after the trip.......and he put the air bags on after that...my OEM were still ok....similar loads etc

does it need an "upgrade" or a replacement or not or maybe just some help?...just my thoughts before you spend a packet.

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 286138

Reply By: splits - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 15:23

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 15:23
Lewy

I agree with bungarra, make sure you really need an "upgraded " suspension first. A squillion stock standard cars have already driven over all of the popular outback tracks so unless you intend overloading the car and detouring off into something unbelievably rough with Esky size rocks, there is no reason why yours won't do the same.

If you do decide to fit another suspension then make sure you know exactly what you are getting. I recently wrote a brief answer in thread 54263 on spring loads and rates. That was just basic spring knowlegdge that you will see in any suspension book but it is surprising how many people don't know it. If you want the best possible results then you must understand the basics of spring design otherwiswe, when you buy an aftermarket kit off the shelf, you might fluke it and get it right first time but if you don't and have to try something else, it can get very expensive.

While you are getting ready for this trip, I think it is worth looking at the Beadell Tours web site. Read all of their tyre and shock absorber information and see if any of it can be useful to you.

Brian
AnswerID: 286150

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 16:00

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 16:00
Good point, and your post in 54263 says it well.
More suspension travel also allows a slightly lighter spring rate to suit the extra suspension travel, which with the same load gives a more compliant(better/not as jarring) ride.
Higher load with a lift lets you use the same rates as previously.
But a lift increases the height to centre of gravity, and the chance of over turning.
While lighter load and more suspension travel, and lower spring rates gives better articulation.
As you say, all a compromise.
FollowupID: 551212

Reply By: Member - Andrew D (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 16:28

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 16:28
Did the Simpson in a 2004 Navara 3lt diesel and used only 68 litres and we went via the rig road.

Have a great trip.
No good deed goes unpunished!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 286154

Follow Up By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 16:53

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 16:53
150 litres is exactly the recommended amount for a typical 6 cylinder diesel. The Rig Road would be the most economical despite it being the longer distance.

Remember- Contingency Contingency Contingency. I usually use 90 litres using a mix of tracks, but carry no less than 160 L (4.2 Patrol). Remember if something happens, such as flooding, you may need to backtrack all the way out again. SA parks publish the recommended fuel quantity for each vehicle type.
FollowupID: 551218

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 20:57

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 20:57
You have enough fuel.Oodnadatta to Birdsville, I needed 92litres on the French Line last time, and no more than 105 litres whenever I've done it before. But they say you should carry extra in case you get rained in and need to turn back.

Shocks: the Toyota Tokico shocks are better quality than any aftermarket brand I've tried. I just put the originals back on my 79series because they work better.

Springs: depends on how much you are carrying, and how the Hilux sits.
AnswerID: 286217

Sponsored Links