muddy roads

Submitted: Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 20:44
ThreadID: 5436 Views:1707 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
evening all
does any body know about track conditions around innamincka and birdsville we are heading off early august and have seen recntly a variety bash heading into innamincka through a heap of mud .was this the main road they chopped the bejesus out of and if so will the roads be repaired to a reasonable state and also on one of the road warning sites 50 cars leaving to go across the desert at 2min intervals i believe from birdsville area what is this doing to local roads as i believe the season is late and there is still a bit of waterabout and tehse cars still have to get into the area
comments appreciated

steve 89 nissan looking foward to august and more travelling
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kezza - Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 21:19

Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 21:19
I was there in early May and there was heaps of water around but unless there is over an inch of rain between now and then (very unlikely) youll be fine. Once the roads open up after rain there are usually diversions around the mud holes - its also worth noting that the road /track is usually the drain anyhow (lower than the surrounding countryside) and seeing there are not too many trees around its quite easy to get around a bog hole. We are talking about desert country in its dry season here. The images you have seen on TV are not the norm out there at the moment I can assure you in fact there will be few mud holes out there right now.

The main tracks are 2 lane highways and are well maintained in the tourist season.
The desert (simpson) tracks cop a hiding during the tourist season (mostly from vehicles running high tyre pressures) but a good stiff wind for a few days does wonders to fill in the holes in the tracks.

Make sure you take or install a good air compressor on your vehicle (do a search on my last post re tyre pressures)
Have fun
Kes
AnswerID: 22473

Reply By: Member - Willem- Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 18:20

Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 18:20
You can always check up to date road conditions through the Transport SA website. Use Google and then go to Northern Road report. The SAAFWDC also has a road report and ofcourse so does Exploroz. Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 22519

Follow Up By: GOB member vic - Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 19:22

Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 19:22
thanks willem thats where i found out about the car rally in late july its posted as a warning on one of them we will just keep watching to see if its original trip or darwin either way iam notb working
thanks for yhe info

steve89 nissan looking foward to august and more travelling
FollowupID: 14868

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 21:11

Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 21:11
Gob, if you'r going via comeron corner use bore track to innaminka then walkers xing to birdsville much better scenery & less traffic than main routes. less corrogations too. Regards Bob
3 Weeks till Gulf trip
AnswerID: 22529

Reply By: Member - Bob W - Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 10:10

Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 10:10
Just returned from Innamincka yesterday.
Bore track was closed due to mud and top end of Old Strezeleci should be closed due to flooding at top end below Moomba Road. There is about 15 klms of flooded track (seemed a long way anyway) Most you can drive around but some sections it is better to drive on the track (under water) or next to the track in the many sets of wheel ruts available. I got bogged up to the side steps of my GU Patrol by trying to push through away from the track, was statched out backwards by a couple of young guys who were attempting the track at the same time. I was on my own and would have turned back if not for the fact three trucks were at the same point together.
If there are any doubts as to your trucks capability or towing something heavy I would advise using Moomba Road, its 50 klms longer but much faster.
There were no warning signs either end of flooded track (rain was local and heavy two weeks ago !) Moomba Road (on my way home) had numerous flood effected sections and warnings to suit -- saying road flooded when it was in fact it had dryed out.
There is always a good chance of flood effected low lying sections of Old Strezeleci track, I have been on it on six occasions June to Sept and there has been water around each time -- seems to take a long time to dry out, do not know how long it takes as I only pass once in a season.
Regards
Bob W
AnswerID: 22547

Sponsored Links