Sat Dish, quick/accurate Elevation adjustment for signal lock in.

Submitted: Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 20:49
ThreadID: 54377 Views:4990 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 90cm Offset Sat dish and previously used a level with a 360deg adjustable glass bubble to get the elevation angle of the sat dish. With more use the adjustable part became sloppy and more inaccurate. Depending where you are in Oz if you are 1 or 2 degs off, you don't get a signal.

Have purchased a digital Inclinometer and mounted a bracket at the back of the dish, locked in the sat and adjusted the dish to the best signal and bent the bracket so that digital meter reads 45.XX deg for our location in Adelaide. The digital Inclinometer sticks to the bracket via 3 small strong magnets.

Since the Optus free to Air elevation readings in most publications are for Non Offset dishes eg 45.XX deg for my suburb. I can now virtually go anywhere in Australia and read published elevation figures, adjust my dish/ Inclinometer to the published figure and point the dish in the right direction etc and I should have signal lock.( ie the bent bracket takes care of the offset)

The Inclinometer is about 50mm x 50mm x 30mm deep with a small bubble level on top.

I purchased my unit from John at Satplus Queensland for $65 incl GST. His Tel no is 0754957674.This unit is also mentioned on their Web site in Tools and Accessories.

If I haven't lined up the dish recently in the past it has taken sometime to get signal lock, especially if I am doing the line up at night, this meter should speed it up.

Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SimonInAustralia - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 22:18

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 22:18
I have wondered about satellite TV reception, when away from free-to-air terrestrial broadcast areas in my landcruiser troopcarrier campervan.

Is it a workable setup for something small like a troopcarrier, or would you need something larger like a camper trailer to make carrying the gear for it worthwhile?

What sort of gear do you need, and how small a dish can you use?

What sort of channels do you pick up?
AnswerID: 286458

Follow Up By: Ozymacca - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 07:11

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 07:11
Hi Simon,

I have the Travelsat system with the Strong 4654X 12-24VDC AND 240VAC. Brian from Sussex Inlet Antennas was most helpful in setting up my caravan fitting a weather proof wall plate to connect the sat dish to. Brian also setup my brothers caravan as well on the same day we are both very happy. After a bit of practice I now find it very easy to find the optus C1 satellite I have all the channels below except WIN. 3 things I would not leave home without my custom boatloader, Cobb cooker, Sat Tv I just Have to watch the News at night If I miss it on one abc channel I can watch it on another abc. I was going to say 4 things but I can leave the wife at home no problems. I hope this helps Simon I have placed a link below with more info on Travelsat

Cheers Macca

The TravelSat is a complete kit that enables the traveller to watch ABC (ABC SA, WA, SE, NT and QLD), SBS, (SBS SA, WA, QLD and SE), Imparja (covers programming from the Nine and Ten networks on a single channel) and Seven Central (Seven from QLD). GWN and WIN TV are available if travelling throughout WA. There are a large range of radio channels that can be listened to in clear digital format as well. The TravelSat is arguably the most popular (and the most compact) travellers satellite system on the Australian market.

Cudmirrah

Sussex Inlet Antennas

0429 443 747- Brian

Satellite TV
FollowupID: 551631

Follow Up By: SimonInAustralia - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 07:40

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 07:40
Many thanks for the info Macca!

I'll look into it.
FollowupID: 551637

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 11:06

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 11:06
Hi Macca,
What sort of power consumption does the Strong 4654X use off 12v?
Gerry
FollowupID: 551666

Follow Up By: Ozymacca - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 17:07

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 17:07
Hi Joc,

I set the strong 4654X up on 12volt battery source. I used a good quality tong tester for you & I was also curious myself it _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx 0.9amps I hope this helps.

Cheers Macca
FollowupID: 551714

Reply By: keviny6 - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 16:44

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 16:44
optus card just to watch the news lol ---get a wireless news service any where-- this filling out forms every three months just to be able to connect and then find you are limited to thier user rules gave me the pips.
i found out the set topbox was no good for foxtel which is also on- c 1 or select tv on pass 8 which i have in my home.
i take the select tv box and handheld control with me nowadays.
As for setting up never had problems once i foundout how sat tv works and where they are in the sky, just use sat finder and compass if in new area.
a good place for details and help is--free to air sattelite forums--- austec is one
AnswerID: 286725

Follow Up By: Ozymacca - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 05:26

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 05:26
Hi Kevin

The stong decoder takes the select Tv card as well just pay your $36 per month plus $30 for the card. How do you find the select TV. I don't have a wireless my old man had one he spent most of the day sitting next to it at home. Then he finally got a black & white TV. How things change kevin lol.
FollowupID: 552055

Sponsored Links