Roof mount DVD player

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 15:00
ThreadID: 54395 Views:9139 Replies:8 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Has anybody got one of these units fitted? Roof mount DVD player

I'm curious as to how they perform and how they are attached to the roof of the vehicle?

Any comments will be appreciated. There is a bloke from a Nissan dealership trying to sell a genuine Nissan unit (I think he has a few in stock), via ebay, but he has a starting bid of $900-. I've written a message to him offering to pay $500- and pointing out that there are just soooo many cheaper ones available that I doubt he'll ever flog 'em for $900- or more. He reckons that they cost him $900- and the RRP was $2700- (probably 5 years ago..haha)

Cheers

Roachie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 16:53

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 16:53
Hi Roachie,

I have a 7" roof mounted screen, real easy to mount as you replace the interior light and use their mounting holes. You might need to make an adaptor bracket, but am sure a man of your experience attaching every gizmo under the sun wouldn't even raise a sweat with this!!!

Make sure you get the cordless headphones, nothing more annoying than having to listen a a movie for the 358th time. We only got 2 sets of cordless headphones and normally this is fine, but occasionally we have a 3rd kid with us so you need to use the speakers - wished i had bought the 3rd set originally!

You can only use the DVD on bitumen or really smooth gravel, they skip worse than a CD player, but that might also be because I virtually only play copied discs (don't want to wreck originals).

We also use the video-in RCA leads and use a playstation type game - the screen is small but hey, the kids like it and adds one more tool in the aresenal of keeping the kids occupied.

I reckon they are worth their weight in gold. We only occasionally use it on the longer trips now as we try all the old games and tricks to keep the kids occupied, but there is only so much I spy and other games that one can take!

I reckon you will be happy with it , its about the only thing available for a vehicle that you haven't got yet - I am sure the lack of new things to accessorise your vehicle with must be getting to you by now :)

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 286558

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 17:30

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 17:30
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.....pretty decent inventory you have there yourself Captain :-) great photos too mate. The kids will have great memories.
Roachie, save your coin and just play I spy or keep Slim and J.W pumping on the CD.
Cheers from Fred.
FollowupID: 551719

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 18:30

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 18:30
Thanks for the response Captain and Fred...... I thought there might be a fair chance they'd bounce around a bit, but sounds like it might be the go for the longer bitumen trips.

Fred, I do play JW and SD (along with some selections to keep SWMBO happy too......but the kids just don't appreciate "good" music and they fight and carry on all the bloody time. When we were away a couple of weekends ago, Pesty had 2 of his grandsons along with he and Glenda and when he got the portable DVD player out the kids all gathered around in the shade of his camper trailer and watched it without any barnies at all.

I want to avoid cords all over the place, so the cordless headphones are a great idea....I'm guessing these players can support 3 sets...

Okay, looks like I'll be getting myself one of these for my berfdee (after all I'mm the one who's gunna benefit.....as well as Annette..... with our new found piece and quiet).

Thanks
Roachie
FollowupID: 551729

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 23:28

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 23:28
Just don't get carried away Roachie with that newfound piece and quiet or you might need a FOUR SEATER in the rear seat of the Patrol!
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 551817

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 17:30

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 17:30
"Roof mount DVD player"
"how they perform and how they are attached to the roof"

Probably a very easy installation Roachie but I think it would be too windy and uncomfortable up there.....hahaha...

Friday funnies.....nah....silly Saturday more like it.

Cheers mate......Lionel.
AnswerID: 286563

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 18:39

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 18:39
Hey Lionel.....If I mounted on the roof, I could stick the 3 lads up on the roof rack and then I wouldn't have to worry about the headphones....they can listen to the built in speaker......as loud as they like!!!! haha
FollowupID: 551733

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 18:27

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 18:27
Purchased the same unit from that seller about a year ago.It was for a mate and we were a bit worried about getting it from hong kong.But it only took about 7 days and he was wrapped with it.Did everything it was ment to, good picture and quality was also good.
AnswerID: 286566

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 18:40

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 18:40
Thanks Nick, good feedback......

Then I'll just have to get onto a cheap source of dvds...... ;-))
FollowupID: 551734

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 19:32

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 19:32
Hi Roachie

I car DVD's are fantastic for the kids. Nothing better for the parents that putting a movie on and having two hours of peace and quiet so you can listen to the Seekers or Anne Murray or Cliff Richard in peace.

I reckon that a boring trip in the car is really when DVD's should be used and at home TV and DVD's should be limited. Not sure why people think that the kids should not watch a movie in the car. If anything interesting comes we stop anyway and take photos and get out and have a run around.

We only have the el cheapo portable DVD player and we have three headphones connected through two double adapter jacks and mostly works fine. But we would love to upgrade and I keep looking at the ones one Ebay.

Andrew
AnswerID: 286576

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 10:25

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 10:25
Thanks Andrew.......just gotta decide whether to go for a ebay cheapy or lash out for an expensive one. Given that the latter variety don't necessarily ensure long life.... (those lazer eye reader gizmos seem to fail with monotonous regularity in all manner of machines)..... I will probably opt for the $300- cheapy.
FollowupID: 551871

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 15:48

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 15:48
I've just come in from the shed after having spent most of the day working on a "project". Have decided that the plastic lid of the centre console is a waste of space and also a bit low for where my lower left arm should be. So I've removed it and have been mucking around with bits of plywood and morante, making up a taller lid with a drawer that will be accessible to the lads in the back, where they can store their dvds.

Come in spinner!!!
FollowupID: 551940

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 18:04

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 18:04
Hi Roachie

We have given up on the DVD boxes. We keep ours like this
Image Could Not Be Found

I think a drawer would be fantastic though. Kids never seem to have enough storage for there things. Higher centre console would be great. Do you think Jen would still be able to hit me over the console. Bit of protection would be good.

Andrew
FollowupID: 551974

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 23:23

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 23:23
Annettes Husband, I have the Alpine unit in the Territory and its great, infrared headsets (3 of) but i reckon it was a tad more pricey than $900. I looked at the Nissan unit, in my humble opinion, I would've spent the extra for the Alpine even if I was paying for it
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 286632

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 10:30

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 10:30
Thanks Bonz,
I recall seeing a car all decked-out with about 7 different dvd screens, at a 4x4 or caravan/camping show one time. I reckon it may well have been the "Alpine advert on wheels". As I've said above, in response to Andrew, dvd's seem to be one of those things where the old adage of "you get what you pay for" doesn't always ring true. I've had just as many issues with expensive players (both cd and dvd and computer cdroms etc) over the years, as I have with the cheapies.

Anyway, gotta wait for the All Ords to improve a bit before I can start spending discretionary income again....hahahaha (never know when a Margin Call is gonna come through)........ sigh......

Roachie
FollowupID: 551872

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 21:56

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 21:56
I read in this weekends Fin. Review that you and Bonz were buying while the shares are on special - 20% off
FollowupID: 552029

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 18:17

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 18:17
Roachie, any pics of the new console lid? John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 286734

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 20:49

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 20:49
I'll see what I can do John. It's finished the construction phas...now I've gotta buy some grey paint and give it a few coats. I was going to get all adventurous and try to cover it with "material" of some sort and add some padding..... but I thought I'd paint it and see how it looks first.

I'll go and see if I can get a few pics and post later.

Roachie
FollowupID: 552011

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 21:10

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 21:10
Thanks. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 286776

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 21:55

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 21:55
I've taken the pics but photobucket is stuffing me about at the moment.....doesn't seem to want to what it's suppoed to.

I'll keep trying.

Roachie
FollowupID: 552028

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 22:20

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 22:20

Underneath of the console showing original hinge.

Rear view with drawer out

Rear view with drawer in.

The drawer has a sheet of aluminium as the "floor" and I have attached a magnet to the back of the drawer and a striker plate, to stop the drawer falling out when we lift the console up.

Hope that makes sense.

Roachie

FollowupID: 552035

Reply By: alby_39 - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 04:13

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 04:13
Hi, I've just bought a 1994 80 series with a roof mounted ALPINE dvd screen and dash mounted DVD player like the one decribed. It has a 10.5 inch screen and mounts where the original interior light went bu means of a predrilled plate. The dvd monitor the screws to it. I can't really tel you how it works as the previous owner did a dyi and stuffed it. Hopefully Alberts Hifi can fix it.

Screen: http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/alby_39/?action=view¤t=DSCI0017.jpg

Player:http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/alby_39/?action=view¤t=DSCI0019.jpg

cheers

Alby
AnswerID: 287001

Follow Up By: alby_39 - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 04:24

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 04:24
apologies no pics
FollowupID: 552236

Sponsored Links