anyone made diesel successfully from sump oil?

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 20:23
ThreadID: 54408 Views:6635 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy folks...

hows things?

I just noticed a website which claims that we can make good diesel fuel from waste engine oil. thats news to me. anyone tried it & have any knowledge/ feedback on its success? set up cost? is it worthwhile?

Cheers... (link below)

Ro

http://www.freediesel.com.au/Free%20Diesel.htm
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 21:34

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 21:34
I Googled it a while back and it does not seem feasible.

After exhaustive searches on the internet re bio fuels, vegie oil and so on I have come to the conclusion that the best thing is to keep on using regular diesel until we run out of it or an alternative is used by the market in general. The rest is just too much bloody hassle.

Cheers
AnswerID: 286605

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 22:18

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 22:18
Willem
G'day,,, well said and I'll 2nd that comment 100%.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 551793

Reply By: Peter 2 - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 22:26

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 22:26
The big problem that I can see is that these modern common rail things are pretty fussy on fuel quality, injectors can't be fixed/cleaned if they get a bit of muck in them like the old ones and have to be replaced at horrendous cost.
Using fuel that an older engine can tolerate might kill a common rail engine.
Whereas the older donks can be run on pretty much any light oil.
I know people who run their 2H cruisers on a mix of well filtered engine oil and diesel, WVO, homemade bio, and a diesel/used ATF mix.
The latter needs to be left standing for a while to settle the rubbish then well filtered before putting it in the tank.
Some of the light crude oils from the fields around Moomba can and are used directly to run diesels both stationary and in vehicles without being refined just being filtered before use.
AnswerID: 286617

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 08:17

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 08:17
A lot of the modern 'big rigs' continuously bleed their engine oil into the fuel system. Fresh oil is also bled into the sump to make up for the oil being consumed with the fuel. No oil changes are required - only filters. Saves down time and old oil disposal costs. These engines have incredible long service life (and warranties) so they must overcome the problem of 'gunk' damaging the fuel pump.
AnswerID: 286647

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 10:19

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 10:19
And I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to simply add a 100ml (or whatever small amount) of sump oil to the diesel tank everytime you filled up.
FollowupID: 551869

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 09:44

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 09:44
Apart from the obvious mucking around with recipes to get the stuff right for your engine is things like storage etc plus I used the bloody stuff quicker than I reckon Im could make it.

Imagine if everyone had a few thousand litres sitting in their back yards....... This might be the ultimate big bang if it went up or at least a big burn.
AnswerID: 286656

Sponsored Links