Waterpump on a GU 4.2 - bearings

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 08:55
ThreadID: 54416 Views:1868 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings - i have not been able to locate my nissan repair manual , so will ask here - are the water pumps able to be dismantled and rebuilt? bearing is staring to make the distinctive "pitted" sound and if i use the price of aN alternator as a reference for prices of nissan parts , i would like to be able to rebuild it for under $20 ( bearings and seals ) and not have to re mortgage the house to pay nissan's massive prices

Its a 99 model GU 4.2 TDI

thanks

Boc

P.s im a fitter machinist by trade
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Keith_A (Qld) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 10:25

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 10:25
Hi Boc - I cannot answer your question, but also have a 99 GU 4.2 TDI .Mine has 202k and I wondered how long the water pump would last.
Two questions - What Ks has yours done, and has it always had the glycol style coolant?..................Keith
AnswerID: 286664

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 12:07

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 12:07
Gday keith , my 4.2 has just under 300 k on it -- i do a lot of water crossings - and deep water stuff ( up to the bonnet some times and not always nice clean water ) has the correct coolant in it - coolant is still wonderfully fluro green -

have not pulled it down as yet - as i will when i get time - but i know the sound as i deal with it on a daily basis ( work in food industry with milti million$ machinery that i have to maintain )

just wanted to know wether is was rebuildable or if its a throw away item ---

will go and hunt for the w/shop maunal today -- i put them aside ( as well as for my fireblade) so i would not loose them - and surly enough - i have !

Boc
FollowupID: 551882

Reply By: al - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 19:02

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 19:02
book says it can be rebuilt but not cost effective unless have access to specialized tools i bought a new one from sprint auto in adelaide about 18 months a go $8o
regards
al
AnswerID: 286739

Sponsored Links