Fitting Gas to GU Patrol 3.0L Turbo Diesel

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 13:21
ThreadID: 54426 Views:2054 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, Am looking for feedback from anyone who has fitted gas to their 3.0L TD Patrol.
What are the positives, and negatives and what is the size of gas tank and where firtted on the Patrol Wagon.
I have heard that it works well on Landcruisers, but have not heard anything in relation to GU patrols.

Cheers,
The Nugget
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 16:07

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 16:07
Unqualified observation....

It is already acknowledged as an overly stressed engine in stock form with frequent catastrophic failures (check other threads on this forum) and no real answers as to whether Nissan have really fixed the problems in later versions of the engine.

I would think it would be unwise to stress the engine anymore than it already is by adding gas for more power.
AnswerID: 286717

Follow Up By: the nugget - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 16:39

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 16:39
I agree with your comments, however problems with that motor were supposed to heve been rectified late 2003.
Mine is a 2005 model and have done over 80000ks now with no hiccups at this stage (touch wood).
From what I understand the problems occurred around the 100000K mark. I haven't heard of any from 2003 on
FollowupID: 551957

Follow Up By: Member - Matthew ,United Fuel- Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 17:33

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 17:33
We have fitted several gas systems to 3.0 litres with good results, NOW the engine itself is fundamentally ok, the engine management system is what causes the failures not the strength of the engine.

Go for it.

MAtt
FollowupID: 551968

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 18:42

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 18:42
Hi Nugget,

We have several 3.0TD's in our 4WD club there is only one with gas. While he is happy enough with it, his view is that in hindsight he would have gone with an exhaust upgrade, an engine chip and blocked the EGR.

Comparing the different levels of mods and performance, he is no better off and loses range due to the gas tank requiring the sub tank removal - especially when he cannot get gas in the outback. Plus the cost of gas goes up much more rapidly in the country than diesel.

Also, very painful to fill up with gas and then diesel as they never have the two bowsers together.

And re-sale is arguably lower with gas - not enough runs on the board to confirm its long term effect on motor life expectancy.

Overall his experience, while positive, hasn't encouraged anyone to do the same.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 286736

Follow Up By: Member - keith P (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 20:43

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 20:43
i agree.
i fitted a 3in exhaust and DP chip to my 3ltr patrol and found the extra power was great. if you want to travel any extended distances then get these mods as the gas will be great until you are out of town and cant fill the tank. then you have no extra power. i would stay away from the gas as i believe you will see some problems with this system in time to come as the gas burns very dry. not good for the head.
Keith
FollowupID: 552009

Sponsored Links