ATM's and all that

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 17:30
ThreadID: 54432 Views:2456 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks

This is a follow up to our previous post re: a year in a Windsor rapid - thank you for all for the many suggestions which have been a great help.

So now to car shopping! Our caravan has an ATM of 1750kg and our current old model Kluger will only tow to 1500kg so we need to change. We had been thinking a Prado which will tow to 2500kg but are wondering if the new model Kluger, which will tow to 2000kg will do the job OK.

Clearly the Prado will have plenty of power but is 250kg of towing capacity spare with the new Kluger sufficient? We will be travelling for a year with a Windsor Rapid offroad model. We don't intend doing any real rough stuff but want to be able to do some gravel tracks and a bit of sand.

With thanks

Mizuko
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member No 1- Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 18:01

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 18:01
the Kluger probably aint going to do the job....for you!.....
my reckoning is ...it will do it, but only just...meaning you'll be disapointed with what youve purchased
AnswerID: 286732

Reply By: Footloose - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 18:48

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 18:48
"We don't intend doing any real rough stuff " The problem is that rain and traffic can turn even the most benign track into "rough stuff". And often you don't see it coming until you're in the thick of it. I don't know much about the Kluger, but I'd opt for the Prado, it will get you there and back in comfort. Good luck with your choice.
AnswerID: 286738

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 19:09

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 19:09
Just make sure that the ATM quoted is actually the weight of the Van fully loaded and includes the weight on the tow ball, because many are surprised when they load the van that they are way over the stated ATM.

AnswerID: 286740

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 19:09

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 19:09
Mizuko the new upgraded Kluger will obviously tow your van but may find it coming up short in some locations. To be honest the Kluger is more of a big car than a small 4x4 & probably wont give you the clearance or ability you'll need at times around Oz. Without going anywhere seriously offroad the Prado will give you far more options to get into locations just off the beaten track. I would find it dissapointing to drive thousands of KM's only to be unable to drive the last few K's to an attraction as it was just a bit rough for the car even though the van was capable.
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 286741

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 20:33

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 20:33
Hi Mizuko,
I've run a quick search on Kluger towing capacities and can't find anything to say that the any Kluger will pull any more than 1500 kg.
For what it's worth, I'd be contacting Toyota and asking them to advise their vehicle's towing capacities and asking what the "off road" capacity is, and get it in writing.
Personally, if I were in your position, I'd be heading for a bigger vehicle that will be more comfortable, more capable and will have a larger degree of towing capacity and a larger safety margin.

Cheers,
Wayne.
AnswerID: 286766

Reply By: marcus - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 21:13

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 21:13
Mizuko,
If i was buying a vehicle for a years travelling with a 1750kg van on the back it would definitely be a diesel.This engine is far more efficient for towing,will have better range between fills,fuel remotely available and are built for hard work.A definite consideration.
Mark
AnswerID: 286777

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 22:40

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 22:40
Hi Mizuko, My daughter and her hubby have got the latest Kluger, lovely car (and that is what it is) all the bells and whistles, very comfy and all that however if I was in your shoes, and for the work you want it to do I would be going for the Prado, I just don't see the Kluger as a good off road towing vehcle.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 286814

Reply By: Member - Kevin R (QLD) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 13:08

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 13:08
Hi Mizuko,

If you are looking at a new diesel prado, the wait is a minimum of 3 months for delivery unless you are lucky enough to pickup a cancellation.

Cheers

kevin
AnswerID: 286866

Sponsored Links