Nissan Navara D22 Roof Rack issue

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 19:00
ThreadID: 54434 Views:17288 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently fitted a roof rack system to my 2006 navara (D22). I purchased the reputable system from a large reputable 4WD accessory dealer and had it fitted to the vehicle by that dealer. It has only been fitted for three weeks and in that time we have travelled along the WA coast. I did some off roading but nothing too extreme and only had a spare wheel (secured by the roof rack companies own spare wheel bracket), a fishing rod holder and two camping chairs, so not much weight at all.

Upon taking the car back to the dealer about a seperate issue the dealer noticed a crack along in the roof where the roof rack foot meets the track. The dealer and the supplier have agreed to pay for the damage but now we are faced with the decision of whether or not we have the roof rack re-fitted.

Having the roof rack has its own pro's in itself, especially for a dual cab, but we have posed the question to the dealer if it is worth re-fitting it after the crack is repaired. ie will it be a re-occurring issue, especially if that area is now already weakened by the repair work. We were carrying next to no weight, well below the manufactures standard and had good ideas about how to configure our load in future trips.

Has anyone had the same problems and how did you go about fixing it. Can an extra support bracket be fitted to the roof to strengthen the roof rack or is it better to count our losses and go without or is there something we can do. The dealer and the manufacturer are also looking into the situation but any additional independant advice would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Vince NSW - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 19:15

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 19:15
Fitzy78
Had the same thing happen to our 3 week old d22. Drove from Sydney to Port Augusta with only 22 kg tent on the rack. We did ont get a crack but as there was a lot of movement I carried only sleeping bag for the rest of the trip. We fitted heavier tracks and a third bar. Have not had any problems since.
Looks like a weak spot in the D22.
Vince
AnswerID: 286742

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 19:22

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 19:22
Fitzy,

I had an 04 D22 and had a track and roof basket fitted in Perth prior to heading north. While the rack was empty for the majority of the time, I had some mighty weights in while doing the Canning (Fuel, water, gas bottle, spare wheel etc etc. I had no problems as you've outlined but I noted that the dealer was very particular where they mounted the tracks to ensure they crossed appropriate cross members/struts in the roof and tapped into them accordingly. This was to ensure that the track was mounted into heavier gauged steel and not just the thin sheeting of the roof. One thing I did notice, and I'm presuming you've used a roof mounted track system, was that the screws that held the feet had to be constantly tightened. This was often difficult because of the locking head they use. The key provided with the rack was next to useless but I had one of the star heads with a small ratchet handle which got the job done. Does the track flex with the roof - ie have the tapped the tracks into cross struts and not just the roofing materiel.

My brother in law has the ute now and it's done over 70,000 with the roof rack on and no issues.

Cheers. Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 286744

Reply By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 20:31

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 20:31
Fitzy, i have a 2004 with a ARB roof rack and is very solid, i had a spare wheel, large canvas bag, tent and water jerries that has done the simpson and lots of tracks and never had a problem. I would be lost without the rack as it gives me more space then the usual canopy/tray would. As Mick said i check the bolts/screws and canopy/rack around once a week.

cheers,

Lance
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 286763

Follow Up By: Fitzy78 - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 22:19

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 22:19
Thanks guys for your feed back. As with lance, although I have only had the rack for a short period of time and already I do not want to go back to the limited space that a duel cab offers.

The rack system in question is the rack master which uses tracks with four feet then a flat bedded-style rack which allow for even weight distribution. The tracks are fitted just inside the outer groove and are held down by four hex head screws each side. We initially took the car back to the dealer because of a terrible squeak coming from the rear right corner. We tried tightening the tracks but to no avail. When we took it back to the shop the dealer gave the rack a shake and showed that the whole thing flexed which has me thinking that it is not fitted to any strong points, rather the flimsy thin roof material. I have to take the car to a panel beater in the next few weeks so I may have a chat and see what he thinks. I don't want to have the whole rack system removed as the potential for its uses are too great. However, I do need to pose the question if it has happened once, will it happen again (I know noone can answer that) and what happens if it does it again, but in a year or so time where it is no longer covered by warrenty.

I think it is going to be a hard decision to make, if only I had hindsite now instead of later.........
FollowupID: 552034

Reply By: Vince NSW - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 10:27

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 10:27
Fitzy
Forgot to mention that when we put stronger track on the foor it was attached at the extreme outer edge asw this was the strongest point in the roof.
Vince
AnswerID: 286850

Sponsored Links