Mazda BT50 & Telstra body

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 19:04
ThreadID: 54435 Views:5149 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have seen the Ford Raiders (?) Cab/Chassis fitted with the Telstra body around and have spoken to the chaps driving them.
No problems with the truck and very happy with the XL body. Just what I'm looking for.
But when I visited the XL web page, they appear to be only for Telstra. Bugger!
The 75 series has a similar body made by a another maker and I have been told it's all aluminium and costs about $15K. Gulp. A bit out of my league.
The Mazda BT50 will do us as I understand that they are essentially the same vehicle as the ford but with some heavier suspension components and refinements.
Does anyone out there know if the XL bodies are generally available to suit the new Mazda or are aware of another manufacturer who makes a similar setup?
Naturally weight is a major consideration.
I'm thinking that with a front Detroit locker and a couple of other planned modifications, that this little Ute (with the Telstra body) should be just the ticket to let us do the Canning.
We presently tow an Ultimate camper but won't be taking it with us on that trip.
The torque from the little 3 litre diesel should let it handle the trailer as a tow vehicle even with a loaded body, but I would love to hear from someone with first hand experience before I take the plunge.
Regards
Steve.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wigger - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 20:13

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 20:13
Steve, I think you mean Ford Ranger,Raider is a US variant.
Might pay to check out the biz about the Mazda having heavier suspension components. Dont think so. What do you mean by an XL body. All Rangers are designated as XL's with the most expensive being XLT.XL does not designate a tub or tray attachment.
Mazda's are DX's with an SDX.
AnswerID: 286757

Reply By: Mogul - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 20:32

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 20:32
Try these guys.

here
AnswerID: 286765

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 20:33

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 20:33
There are alot of other companys who build the service bodys for cab chassies.

I think XL will build them for any vehicle and anyone and you will find all the storage compartments are of a modular design meaning they can adapt them to any vehicle.

You may want to try body builders.

Just had a look at there web site ttp://www.xl.com.au/xl_faq.html and they have bodys avaliable to suit most vehicle configerations in two types A type and Z type.

Regards Richard
AnswerID: 286767

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 16:11

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 16:11
Bidgee1

The Mazda Bravo and the Ford Courier were basically the same vehicle out of the same factory with some minor differences.

I am not 100 percent sure but I believe that the new BT50 and the Ranger are still basically the same vehicle.

Mazda is something like 40% owned by Ford and market the same vehicles under both brand names.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 286895

Reply By: wdric - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 21:44

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 21:44
I don't think they only build just for telstra, probly just there biggest customer.

Maybe a bit heavy as I think they are all steel, other wise your will get a lot of use out of it.

Roscos also build bodies, out of alloy.
AnswerID: 286972

Sponsored Links