Spartan Solenoid

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 21:54
ThreadID: 54443 Views:2645 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Been reading the forum quite a bit lately and been impressed with the info and advice.

I have just bought a second hand Warn XD 9000 winch, motor has been reconditioned and new cable etc, but looking at the control box at the moment.

Has anyone had any experience with the generic winch control boxes that you can pick up, ie Titan, Spartan etc. Are they any good and are they as reliable as the original Warn. Can pick these up for $250 instead of about $500 - 600 for the original Warn one.

I am quite happy to spend the money on the Warn ones if they are better, but why spend the extra money on something that does the same job

The advertisers would have you believe that all the competition guys are using them and they are better than Warn, but I dont always believe the advertisers for some reason, especially over Ebay.

Any info would be appreciated

Cheers

PS Rig is a 2006 GXL 100 series, which spends quite a bit of its life off road, especially during the wet. I
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 22:31

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 22:31
chook, I asked the same question of a mate that drives comp truck, he is not impressed with them at all. He was asked to trial one and it literally fell to bits. Even though they looked good on paper, that turned me off them.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 286810

Reply By: madCrow - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 11:10

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 11:10
Hi ya chook2706
the main difference between the warn winch control box and the other brands is the number of solenoids under the hood. The warns have 4, 2 in & 2 out for your power the others have 2, 1 in & 1 out, (the warns have double). Also it's a question of construction, reliability & quality of parts used that sets the warn winches apart. As well as the service history of the 2hd winch you've bought.
You can also go the path of customization & use 2 high amp solenoids (200 amp I think) as well as high flow power cables from battery to winch, these will improve massively the speed of your winch, i.e. more electrical power to your winch, faster retraction of the cable.

Anyway enjoy the new toy.

madCrow
AnswerID: 287038

Reply By: Mike Harding - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 11:23

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 11:23
Switching high current DC is a hard task for electrical equipment and tends to be one of those areas when you do get what you pay for (although $500 sounds a bit steep).

I'd go with the Warn part.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 287041

Sponsored Links