Hells Crack...Buntine Hwy, Savanagh Hwy, Victoria Hwy to Katherine...Who's done

Submitted: Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 01:15
ThreadID: 54448 Views:3298 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I'm looking at traveling this route in July -August (Halls Creek to Katherine then up to Darwin)

Can anyone tell me anything about these roads?
1/ Is it bitumen, a good trek or a slow 4 x 4 trek?
2/ What's along the way?
3/ Is there any fuel after Halls Creek before Katherine (869K's HK to Kath)
4/ Am I better just going up through Kununurra (but I've done it B4)
5/ Is there any accommodation along the way or is it every man for himself until Katherine?

The whole story is that I'll be going to the Karijini then across to the NT up to Darwin. Just looking for the most scenic route with safety in mind for the family.

I'll be in a Cruiser 100TD.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 06:08

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 06:08
Never heard of the Savanagh Hwy. Where is it?

From Halls Creek along the Ducan and Buntine Hwy's is just an outback bush road, graded every now and then. It is bitumen from Kalkarindji(Wave Hill) to the Victoria Hwy. Fuel should be available at Kalkarinji and there is fuel at Top Springs(its been a while since I have been there). 2wd all the way.

You will be travelling through some plains country, mulga scrub with hills away in the distance to the north. I think that the bitumen from Halls Creek along the Victoria Hwy to Katherine is more scenic.

Unsure of accommodation. Might have to bushcamp it. Top Springs used to have a very interesting bar counter. It used to be a 'locals' watering hole and could get quite wild at times...lol

Cheers
AnswerID: 286827

Reply By: meandet - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 08:55

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 08:55
Hi Andrew

We travelled from Dunmarra to Top Springs, Kalkarintji and on to Halls Creek last year. (in August) The Duncan Hwy from the border to Halls Creek was the worst bit, narrow dirt road, lots of cattle big potholes and washaways and a lengthy bit with lots of floodways, creeks etc. There was no water in them but lots of slowing down because they are rocky and rough. We were going through last thin in the day with the sun in our eyes and had to dodge lots of locals coming the other way from a fooy match. (a bit hairy at times)

I know this is a fairly negative view but we didn't enjoy that part of the trip and vowed not to do it again. We went home the long way through Kununnurra, Katherine and so on.

Cheers

Peter
AnswerID: 286836

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 16:02

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 16:02
Andrew

Willem has answered most of it for you.

Top Springs is a hotel that has motel room, budget room and caravan park and service station (Fuel).

Good meals - best mixed grill I have had.

You are travelling in the middle of the dry and will not have any problems with the road.

By Savanagh Hwy I presume you mean the Savanagh Way. This is a tourist drive between Cairns and Broome. There are several alternative routes to this drive.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 286893

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 16:34

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 16:34
Yerr.... thats what I figured......SAVANNAH !!!!.....lol

Cheers
FollowupID: 552119

Sponsored Links