australia day has been and gone

Submitted: Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 09:45
ThreadID: 54455 Views:1595 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
and i didnt get to go to this aussie patriotImage Could Not Be Found BBQ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 10:21

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 10:21
Slightly OT, i saw a bloke on a pushbike being towed hanging on the side of a 4wd ute along a major road at 80km/hr yesterday!......the bloke had no helmet on, no shoes, no shirt, slight speed wobbling happening and obviously one hand on the handlebars of the old bike.

There are some silly road users around indeed.

Andrew
AnswerID: 286849

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 17:46

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 17:46
Hey Andrew,

During my teens I went on a camping trip on pushbikes. We started in Penrith and headed south to Mitagong then down through Wombeyan Caves. Most of the guys weren't interested in seeing through a cave but two of us hung around for a look.

We were struggling to catch up with the others when the guy driving our support vehicle offered to give us a hand. He was driving an EJ panel van. I hung on to one side of the roof rack and my mate hung on to the other. Now this was up the hill on the west side of Wombeyan Caves, unsealed road, no helmets, we did have jeans and decent shoes on. Max speed achieved whith two guys hanging onto the roof rack was 27mph.

Steering with one hand and dodging potholes and rocks while hanging on with the other. It was great fun.

Would I let my young bloke do it now? You have got to be kidding!!! I may have been a crazy teenager but I am not an irresponsible parent. Besides I would hope he would have the sense not to le me worry about him doing things like that.

Duncs
FollowupID: 552129

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 18:06

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 18:06
lol...the things we do when younger. :-)

though this bloke was 40 something (and i suspect drunk).

Andrew
FollowupID: 552131

Follow Up By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 22:13

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 22:13
Now we are reminissing.....
I used to work in Kuranda 3 days a week. This was 10 years ago. I would get a lift up the hill in the morning in the crew vehicle and I would get dropped off at the top of the hill in the afternoon to get my adrenaline rush. Not that I needed anymore adrenaline running through my body. I was working for AJ Hackett Bungy. Used to have a crazy jump every day.
Anyway I would start at the top of the hill on my $120 Kmart Mountain Bike that had a sticker hidden underneath stating "Not designed for off road use."
Ok I'd push this thing to its limits and I would take it on some major down hill tracks including the Downhill world championship mountain bike track in Cairns.
During my rides down the hill from Kuranda wearing only shorts, Singlet, Teva's (thongs) and a helmet. I would get that bike over 100km/h...... I had a speedo on the bike and the crew bus would follow me as much as they could.
I will never forget the time I was overtaking a car on double yellow lines when another car came the other way and I just made it through by staying in the black line inbetween the yellow lines. Funny thing is the guys in the crew van had the video going so it was recorded complete with footage of their speedo.......
Oh thank you for that adrenaline rush memory :)
I want to go and do it again
Peter
FollowupID: 552202

Reply By: RovingOz (QLD) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 15:12

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 15:12
He/she may have spent some time in Cambodia.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

AnswerID: 286887

Sponsored Links