This Thread has been Archived
If you are a member of LCOOL read this:
http://www.lcool.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1140

Otherwise the info is in this thread about half way down:
Site Link

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 18:38

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 18:38
There is a 6mm stud fixed to the floor pan, basically directly below the front right drivers seat mount. This stud is what the matting fixes to, presumably with an M6 nut and washer.

WTF???

There is no soundproof matting under the floor of my 100 series, only painted metal. The exhaust runs inside the chassis rail not outside, nowhere near the right hand side of the driver's seat. So I guess my 100 series is safe????
AnswerID: 286922

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 08:36

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 08:36
Mike, if you have a solid front diff, this does not effect you, as your model is 105. The 100 series is an independant front end job, and they all have extra sound deadening.
Andrew
AnswerID: 287402

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 08:40

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 08:40
Went for run today down to the 4wd show in Queanbeyan. We got as far as Pheasants Nest where a strong burning smell together with a small amount of smoke in the cabin compelled us to pull over .

After a flurry of bonnet opening and fire extinguisher finding, the source of the smoke was traced to the area right below the driver’s seat.

A section of body deadener/matting had come adrift from the floor pan and fallen onto the exhaust pipe. By the time we found it there was a hole the size of your fist smoldering through the matt. No flames, but the matt was like looking at the electric element on your stove running flat out.

We managed to pull it free of the vehicle before it caused any serious damage and then proceeded the km or so further down the road to the Mobil Roadhouse where we doused the area with water for a good 10min to make sure there were no remaining ‘hot bits’.

So, to the reason for the post. There is a 6mm stud fixed to the floor pan, basically directly below the front right drivers seat mount. This stud is what the matting fixes to, presumably with an M6 nut and washer. I say presumably because this nut had bugged out on my mates Cruiser so the front corner of the matt was then allowed to fall directly onto the zorst.

So check yours is still there please

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joff

Very lucky you were able to smell the burn. At least he still has his vehicle largely intact - well done

cheers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very lucky.

On my 100FZJ there is a metal heatshield between the exhaust and the floor all the way just past the first muffler. Will try to get some pics tomorrow.

Joff wrote:
proceeded the km or so further down the road to the Mobil Roadhouse where we doused the area with water for a good 10min

Did you manage to find out if the roadhouse had marshmallows, just in case the worst hapened, to make the best of the situation

Checked mine and the soundproofing mat has come away from the nut and bolt retainer and was only held off the exhaust by the torsion bar. There is a heat shield further back.
As Joff said if you have a 100 series check it.
I believe this should warrant a recall but not sure how this is gone about.

wondering out aloud is it's only the 100 & not the 105 aswell, they have a different system, do they not

Rod, I don't think the 105's have any of that "compressed cardboard" type sound insulation material under them like the 100's do.

I'd guess that the material gets wet and soggy, and eventually overcomes the strength of the retainer.

We had a knocking noise issue on one vehicle on the CSR, turns out it was this sound panel loose and knocking on the floor.

105's don't have it just the 100's. Don't know about the V8's but I'll check my Father in law's and see.

For it to come down the nut needs to work loose or the matt would need to rip.

AnswerID: 287403

Sponsored Links