Garmin or Magellan ??

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 22:07
ThreadID: 54523 Views:2321 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Wish to get a GPS that can be used as handheld and in ute, research has got me these two options

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx or Magellan eXplorist XL

Can people offer any advise?

Also, what mapping packages are best for the desert country?

thanks in advance

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 22:17

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 22:17
trolute,

Magellan eXplorist XL

You can get a new card which has only just been released. It covers all the desert tracks plus a few more. I have only seen it at the 4WD show but I will purchase it soon.

The XL has a big colour screen and the buttons are big enough to use with big fingers. The XL can be used as a hand held and also fitted to a cradle and run off the vehicles battery. Updates can be down loaded from the Internet via a USB plug that comes with the unit.

There is also more information on this site in topics and then navigation.

Wayne
AnswerID: 287160

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 22:46

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 22:46
Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx also takes a Micro Card

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 287165

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 23:19

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 23:19
Hello - up until the other day I would have recommended XL without hesitation because the Magellan maps were far superior to those available for the Garmins in out of town areas. Situation has recently changed as the new OzTopoV2 has been released. This product should be at least as good as Dast Topo (same data is used to make maps). Can’t comment on how OztopoV2 compares to the new Magellan (Hema) DiscoverAus Outback Tourer map set.

Magellan XL has advantage of larger screen but the Garmin 60 may prove more comfortable for hiking it. The Garmin also has a wider range of screen options and functions. I currently have a 60cx (similar to CSx) and XL in my possession so am in a position to compare first hand (not proclaiming to be an expert on either though – I’m not). I like the features of the Garmin 60 and despite the fact I have yet to see OzTopoV2 in action I am quietly confident it will do the job (though no map is perfect).
The final choice is yours – I personally wouldn’t get the XL unless screen size was vital for your intended use. Garmin outshines it in other areas.

Cheers
Greg

PS: I retain the right to change my mind on what GPS is best after Magellan’s Trition series and Garmins Colorado series are released.
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 287173

Reply By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 12:02

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 12:02
Just a quick 2 bobs worth from me, I have a relatively simple Garmin gps 76 that has been put through hell in a very harsh environment for the last 7 years and hasn't missed a beat. They have my business next time I need one.......I have no experience with the Magellan (although I watched a documentry about Magellan the other day and if the products that carry his name are anything like the man they should be very good!)

Cheers Andrew
AnswerID: 287433

Sponsored Links