Dust exclusion from camper van

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 13, 2008 at 20:58
ThreadID: 54557 Views:2396 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
This may be crazy but...

I am looking to get a camper van ( pop up jayco style but probably Goldstream) and read that dust inside the van is a major problem regardless of brand.

My vehicle is pretty good for dust when on "flow through".

Has anyone tried putting a hose from the fourby to the van with a fan to create high pressure in the van whilst driving? Fan could be recyled car hear type fan I guess. Hose would be say 75mm in diameter.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2008 at 21:06

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2008 at 21:06
Hey, you could connect a hose from the exhaust pipe.
That will pressurise it:-))

Actually, I would have thought the collapsible style vans would exclude dust pretty well.
On larger style vans, it is common practice to have a filtered air vent on the roof which pressurises the inside and thus reduces the chance of dust ingress.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 287335

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2008 at 21:07

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2008 at 21:07
Hi Tony,

A factory fix that you can add as an aftermarket fitment is a roof mounted "vent" facing forward. It pressurises the van and keeps out all dust. Even on dusty roads, dust doen't come in via the vent as its mounted up high (a bit like a snorkel effect)

Only thing is, you need to remember to close it when its raining, plus you get the odd dead bug inside the van.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 287336

Reply By: PradOz - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2008 at 21:18

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2008 at 21:18
Hi Tony

Normally the Jaycos ars pretty good depending on where you take them. I have no issues with my current Swan or previous Finch.

Areas that can get dust in if they have the problem are:

1. across the front underneath where the bed slides in. Often you see a rubber strip that folds back on itself when you slide the bed in/out and it seals it.

2. check the roof clamps are adjusted correctly so they do not vibrate or rattle when travelling which could let in the dust.

3. if you go off road you can seal the vents on the door with a filter typer material

4. and while you are at it temporary seal the vent behind the fridge. can be permanent if you provide other adequate fridge ventilation.

That is the normal spots. You can have the same problem for the door and fridge in a full or pop top van depending on the way its made. I have not had any problem with mine but it depends on where you go though and if you maintain it. cheers Mick
AnswerID: 287340

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 00:14

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 00:14
saw a review on a van like that that prsssurised it by electric motor sucking outside air in through a cheap air filter the sort you see atop the old carby motors
AnswerID: 287378

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 02:31

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 02:31
I have seen traveller fit a snorkle to a camper trailer with a dust filter on the inside. This will pressure the trailer letting very little dust in. The snorkle needs to be higher than the rear of the tow vehicle so as to minimise dust intake.

Cheers
AnswerID: 287384

Sponsored Links