All Oztent owners

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 13:11
ThreadID: 5456 Views:1916 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Want to know if any of you oztent owners out there have a Ranger/Discovery with the sidewalls.
If so have you ever had a problem with the walls sitting flush with the oztent. Got mine up from Perth and set it up on the weekend. The walls don't seem to sit correctly and there's a fair bit of slack between the wall and roof/canopy of the oztent.
Any advice apart from those that will tell me I should have got the single pole type tents.
RegardsGibb River in July.
Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: LkPatrol - Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 14:35

Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 14:35
Chris,

I've got the Discovery model Oztent with the sidewalls. There are two versions of sidewalls available - mine has a ridgepole supplied, which make the awning into a peaked roof, the sidewalls are shaped to fit. The other type is just a flat roof design. I presume you have the right shaped sidewalls ?
Mine seems to work ok. The ridgepole allows the rain to run off instead of collecting in the awning - although I have found that the joining method between the awning and the sidewalls leaves a bit to be desired - it leaves a gap which allows draughts, and some rain through - It isn't too much of a problem, but like you, I found that there is a bit of slack at the top. I was thinking about getting some velcro or zips attached which would improve the join.

Cheers, Les

AnswerID: 22565

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 21:48

Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 21:48
Thanks Les,
I thought that maybe the walls were a bad apple of many good ones but not so. The velcro/zip idea sounds good, maybe more the velcro being more versatile with the ill fit as a canvas person may have problems marrying up equal zip lengths on the wall and canopy.

I think it's more the case of sell a good product ie oztent and pretty average accessories to go with it.
RegardsGibb River in July.
Chris
FollowupID: 14917

Reply By: Jack - Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 15:47

Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 15:47
Hi Chris:
I have a Ranger, and yes, the sidewall fit is "not good". I use the small "belt" arrangement to keep it fairly tight, but it is not a 'flush' fit by any means.
I did notice that the new models on display at the 4WD Show in Sydney have a zip fitting, which works a lot better.
I think the idea of a velcro strip along the length of the sidewall and the annexe is a good idea .. I am going to give it a try.Good luck.
Jack.
AnswerID: 22568

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 21:51

Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 21:51
Typical,
Just spent $1300 (tent, walls and screen room) and a new son of a b*tch comes out.
I would take it back but I don't think the new ones will be in circulation over here in "wait a while" W.A. before our big trip next month.
CheersGibb River in July.
Chris
FollowupID: 14918

Reply By: Member - Richard- Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 17:26

Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 17:26
I have one of the first Oztents made. To try and improve it I had Oztent make me two side walls They are fitted with toggles to hold them in place along the top and velcro to the poles. They do not fit well and now consider i would have been better putting the money towards a centre pole tent, either a Tanami by Camping direct, or an Ultimate by Southern Cross . Never mind, eh? Live and learn.Richard and Leonie, The grey nomads.
AnswerID: 22573

Sponsored Links